Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2012-05-04, 4:24am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Default Point me in the direction of tubing tuts?

ANyone? Free or pay.

I almost killed myself trying to figure out the 30mm tubing I got.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-05-04, 4:35am
Pyromaniac

Free:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=138695

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy

Last edited by Bunyip; 2012-05-04 at 4:39am.
Old 2012-05-04, 4:39am
Pyromaniac

Paid:
http://www.artglasshouse.com/pc_prod...F37CC85D35BB7F

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2012-05-04, 6:22am
ManBearPig

If you want, I'll come down there and show you some stuff...

Old 2012-05-04, 11:41am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Chad, I would happily pay you for some time. And buy you and Amanda some yummy dinner. LOL

Old 2012-05-04, 11:52am
Borovangelist

what do you need to figure out?

|
|
Old 2012-05-04, 11:58am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
what do you need to figure out?
How to pull the points without killing myself or setting the house on fire.

Old 2012-05-04, 12:12pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierces*designs View Post
Chad, I would happily pay you for some time. And buy you and Amanda some yummy dinner. LOL
Well, morning sickness is getting the better of Amanda, so she isn't traveling much these days. But I'd gladly come down there (or you could come up here) if you want. Just let me know.

But for pulling points, the best advice I can give you is use less heat than you think. Even though the tube may be 30mm in diameter or whatever, the wall is 4mm thick (or less) so it doesn't take that much heat. You just want a dull orange glow. Heat a section that is about twice as wide as the diameter of the tube, get it heated evenly, then take it out of the flame and pull. Keep rotating while you pull. There is a learning curve to avoid short handles or handles that are so thin they shatter when you use them. The thicker the wall of the tubing, the easier it is to pull points. I've pulled probably well over 1000 points, and I still have issues when doing it with standard wall tubing.

Last edited by Cosmo; 2012-05-04 at 12:14pm.
Old 2012-05-05, 2:00pm
He can do the origami

I was given some advice when I first started working with tubing that seems to be about what it took for me. Get a case of cheap tubing, pull point after point (or attempt anyway) and then when you have burned through about a case or so of tubing, you can just about pull a point lol well... almost anyway. I think it does help to have someone show you, I wish I would have had someone to show me at the time I started working tubing. However I think pulling points is definitely one of those practice, practice, practice, practice, practice practice things!!

You are very lucky to have Cosmo as a resource so close to you. Good luck!

Otter
Old 2012-05-05, 3:38pm

http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showt...ht=pull+points

^^^Good info here as well. A quick youtube search yeilds plenty of videos also.

Cosmo nailed it though. I get the best results if I wait until it's starting to loose the honey consistency before I pull. Pulling harder or faster than I needed left me with a droopy point.

I like to start in the center of the tube for my first pull.

Good luck.
Old 2012-05-05, 10:22pm
is

Hey Debbie,

I'm going to be doing some tube pulls (making the line tubing with vac stacks) and can show you a lot of the basics just by doing that prep work.

Pulling points is pretty easy, but they can be rough at first to not get janky shoulders and too thin of a point that doesnt break in your hand. We can also go over other ways, such as blowhose/blowtubes and such that are viable alternatives.

In exchange for unlimited free time, all you have to do is show my girlfriend a few marble/bead tricks. The work you do is the exact opposite of my work.

I'm in Raleigh, shoot me a PM if you'd like to meet up. My studio is in my home.
Old 2012-05-10, 7:13am
Oh my!

I am always amazed at how generous people here at LE.
Old 2012-05-13, 4:19am
Run Free Sweet Boy

dont get over excited and pull too soon.. and also make sure its turning true before you start to pull.. that way you end up more on center. I pull slow at first, let the heat even out, and the wall thickness stay thick, and pull faster and harder at the end if needed... NEVER EVER stop turning the tube

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2012-05-13, 9:51pm

As a beginner. Things I need to remember pulling points.
Heat base. Heat 2x wider then diameter of tube . Take it in and out of the flame a couple of times. Let the heat sink in. After you pull a few. You will notice the sholders are more even when the heat is right. When you're ready to pull let it firm up some. Keep spinning. Gently pull. I stop a second time after a short pull and let the diameter set, then spin and pull more. And like all glass its practice, practice practice. At over $100 a case you will pay attention and get better relatively soon.
Old 2012-05-29, 12:47pm

Just say NO to points .... order up some 12.7, attach and fire it right on up!! Just saying ..... waste is waste And if your ever in Surfside Beach , stop on in , I'll show ya just how quick and easy it is and why I don't pull points .... ever!
Old 2012-06-01, 3:58pm

Blow tubes are the way to go they are a lot easier to get straight and teach you about doing seals as well.
Old 2012-06-02, 5:14am
Run Free Sweet Boy

for some things I like blow tubes and for a lot I prefer to pull points, it depends on what I am making. The reason I like pulled points is. I can spin it MUCH faster than a fatter tube. I can get great centrifical force for flaring. I also work very light and thin for the most part and pulled points seem to work better for that style. For lab or pipe type work done with med and heavy wall glass, yes, blow tubes are often a better choice.

I dont think there is an always best way to do something.. there is a best way for a certain style of work, or a best way for you. I think it pays to learn it all, and then you have more options to get the best result.

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2012-06-02, 6:29pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by patienthand View Post
for some things I like blow tubes and for a lot I prefer to pull points, it depends on what I am making. The reason I like pulled points is. I can spin it MUCH faster than a fatter tube. I can get great centrifical force for flaring. I also work very light and thin for the most part and pulled points seem to work better for that style. For lab or pipe type work done with med and heavy wall glass, yes, blow tubes are often a better choice.

I dont think there is an always best way to do something.. there is a best way for a certain style of work, or a best way for you. I think it pays to learn it all, and then you have more options to get the best result.
I'm the same way. Plus, I never seem to have smaller tubing around when I need it.

Old 2012-06-12, 8:25pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierces*designs View Post
ANyone? Free or pay.

I almost killed myself trying to figure out the 30mm tubing I got.
Here's a free one from Acroduster on you tube ....he seems to have alot of tutorial stuff. You have to watch or fast forward to about 1 min 50 secs before he begins pulling points explanation. Hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLdVQKAU4hI

Also another one but this one is from Timiaglass this is a bit brighter on the lighting which really helps you see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8no68RxYpNo