Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-09-15, 5:30am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumble_beads
Awesome Suzanne! That's one thing I'll never understand is people only shipping to the USA or USA & Canada. It's only one extra form.
I ship worldwide, but it's a pain in the arse. For domestics, I don't even have to leave home (postal scale and Endicia). (My carrier won't take international packages) Also, it's very impractical to ship some items internationally due to size and cost.

Now what I don't understand is why some people either don't ship or charge extra to Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico when they are shipping Priority Mail. It's the same freakin' price! They're part of the US, too, you know!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-09-15, 5:43am
Boro newb

I see your point on larger items. I once sold ( or tried to sell ) an old piece of carnival glass for an estate. I made it very clear in the listing what the weight was and that I would happily ship overseas but that bidders should email to ask about the shipping cost. Bidder from Austraila bids without checking on shipping. Turns out shipping this bowl was over $40. More than the winning bid! This was with absolutely no charge for packaging supplies. They ended up huffy ( maybe they thought I was padding the cost? ) and they didn't pay.

I'll tell you what infuriated me. When the war started certain sellers started charging a LOT more for APO addresses. Agree with the war or not but don't punish the folks that are just doing their job. Geesh! I actually had a bidder email me to ask if I charged extra for APOs. Apparently they had two seller seriously gouge them. I think she said one seller charged her 3 times the normal rate.
Old 2005-09-15, 5:46am
Boro newb

Oh! On international mail! I don't know if this is cool with all post offices but mine lets me use a stamper for the *from* part on the customs forms and I print out the payment email and cut out the buyer's addy for the *to*. Less wear and tear on the hands.
Old 2005-09-15, 11:07am
needs to light the torch.

Here is another DH bead using the Nebula...
I love it!

Old 2005-09-15, 12:13pm
Carpe Beadum

I didn't even see this thread! I just bought some of the Nebula and Rhubarb, and am going to play with it tonight. I can't wait!!

Someone mentioned working it in a reducing flame to bring out the swirls of color. Do you have to do that? I just emailed Double Helix directly asking for tips. I'll be happy to post them when I get a reply *S*

"In dreams we pass into the deeper and more universal truth." Carl Jung
Old 2005-09-15, 12:14pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamMuse
I didn't even see this thread! I just bought some of the Nebula and Rhubarb, and am going to play with it tonight. I can't wait!!

Someone mentioned working it in a reducing flame to bring out the swirls of color. Do you have to do that? I just emailed Double Helix directly asking for tips. I'll be happy to post them when I get a reply *S*
I have not reduced any of these before encasing, I will try that next!

Old 2005-09-15, 3:14pm

Oh there are new Double Helix BIN listings!!!!

Old 2005-09-22, 5:18pm

ACK!!!!!!!!!!

He has more BIN samplers up...

Trying... not... to... hit... the... BIN button...

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZdou...ssworksQQhtZ-1

Old 2005-09-22, 5:29pm
Paulette Insall ~painter

Nicole you are such an enabler!!!! I just had to go me some of this glass!!!!!!!! Your beadies are just way cool girlie!

--Paulette

--
--

- Original paintings & fine art prints

- Watch my painting demos on YouTube

Old 2005-09-22, 10:56pm

Oh Paulette!!!!
I cannot wait to see what you do with this glass!!!!
I love, love, love your beads!!!!!!!!

Old 2005-09-23, 8:46am
Brainy McSmartypants

I played with some Dark Star last night, and was SOOOOOO disappointed!! I *REALLY* wish I'd seen this thread before I used it- I never thought to reduce it before encasing it. When it's not reduced before you encase, it's kind of a night sky look- I put it over clear, and when you look through it, you can see that they used Vetrofond black as a base- cuz it's bluuuuue VERY pretty, but not what I pictured. Now that I know the reduction trick, I'm hoping for better results! I'm looking at the rhubarb and the sugar plum, too.... But the price! Ack. Like everything, I wish it was more affordable.

Amy K

Old 2005-09-23, 9:56am
sunscreen me baby

Just put some beads of rhubarb, nebula, dark star and plum something in the kiln. I can't wait until 7:30!!!

~

Old 2005-09-23, 10:58am
Carpe Beadum

Well, I never did get a reply back from Double Helix with tips for getting their colors. That was a bummer, esp considering how much I spent with them. (It might be a drop in the bucket for them, but it was substantial for me.)

I have Nebula and Rhubarb, and here's my experiences so far. (I'll post pics once I get them scanned in.)

Rhubarb was the easier of the two to get color variations in. Rhubarb will get some yellow-green in it fairly easily. It's a lovely color on it's own too.

With Nebula, I tried not reducing it, and then reducing it, and it looked very very similar both ways. Nebula over ink blue got lost. Nebula over white was pretty. I even encased some of the nebula rod with med transparant purple and then wound it over white encased in clear. That looked the best.

Any other tips that people could give would be sooooo appreciated!

Old 2005-09-23, 11:05am
sunscreen me baby

One thing I learned is if you work the nebula too hot it looses it's color. It went in the kiln looking like a very pale blue.

~

Old 2005-09-24, 5:57am
sunscreen me baby

OK, here they are from left to right plum, nebula, rhubarb and dark star. I started with a clear core, wrapped the helix around and then encased. I didn't reduce but I will on the next go around. I love this glass!
Attached Images

~

Old 2005-09-28, 3:31pm
I fart diamonds

An information sheet was included with my latest order:

Quote:
Reactive Silver Collection
Quote:

The glass in this collection is infused with silver oxides that can produce a variety of color effects. Encasing the colors in pale transparent produces some of the nicest effects. Befor encasing, I recommend working the silver colors in a fairly cool, soft neutral to slightly reducing flame. After encasing in a clear or tint color, allow the bead to cool for a few seconds, until the orange glow subsides some, then gently reheat the bead, perhaps repeatedly, to enhance the silvers crystal growth. Once the glass is encased, some of the silver oxides go into solution with the casing layer. Reheating and cooling the bead causes the dissolved silver to precipitate into crystals that change colors as they grow. This is what develops the polychromatic swirls of color.
It's 2 pages long with information on each color available, but I'm not about to type the rest of it up, lol.

Last edited by shawnette; 2005-09-28 at 11:32pm.
Old 2005-09-28, 5:18pm
sunscreen me baby

Wow, I want those pages.
I did get the dark star to do cool crystally things by heating and cooling and then reducing. Very neat stuff for sure.

~

Old 2005-09-28, 6:42pm
Ghost Town Glass

I saw Jed at Frantz on Saturday and he said the instructions are going out with all new orders. When I get mine, Suzy, I will scan it and send it to you (and anyone else who needs it).
Old 2005-09-28, 8:23pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janine
I saw Jed at Frantz on Saturday and he said the instructions are going out with all new orders. When I get mine, Suzy, I will scan it and send it to you (and anyone else who needs it).
I guess that means I have to buy some more so I can get the sheet! Awwww shucks!

Old 2005-09-28, 10:21pm
Ghost Town Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by isle-of-cats
I guess that means I have to buy some more so I can get the sheet! Awwww shucks!
Darn! And here you were never planning to buy it ever again... I guess you HAVE to buy more now. Only makes sense.

I just did order 2, and got a mix. Now I will have lots of dark star! Hmm, next CA?
Old 2005-09-28, 11:21pm
Metallic Flame Studios

made some rhubarb, silverplum?, and darkstar ones tonight...

we'll see what the Kiln Fairies leave me tomorrow!!!

Film at 11... probably tomorrow night (gotta "work" to pay for the glass... sorry)

(btw, I got the "sheets" with my order so I'll try to scan them and pdf them to send to you guys! PM me if you want a copy, k???)

Kickin' it on a Knight, a Betta, a 'Cuda, and a SmithLittle with 3 Oxycons, Playing with Fire Since February 2004
Check out our new journey into Metal (yes, including tools) and glass...

Last edited by ltsexpressions; 2005-09-28 at 11:23pm. Reason: adding info
Old 2005-10-01, 10:42am
I fart diamonds

My sheets were a bit hard to read, so Julie from Double Helix eemailed it to me. Here it is in it's entirety:

Double Helix Glassworks

This 104 coe glass cane is handmade in the pacific northwest by Double Helix Glassworks. It is compatible with Effetre, Vetrofond, and Lauscha type glass. Look for our glass on our ebay store http://stores.ebay.com/DoubleHelixGlassworks or orders can be placed directly by emailing doublehelixglassworks@msn.com Pricing is as follows $35.00 for a quarter pound, $65.00 for the half pound, and $120 per pound. Shipping is $5.00 per pound. Color availabilty varies according to our production schedule.

Reactive Silver Collection

The glass in this collection is infused with silver oxides that can produce a variety of color effects. Encasing the colors in pale transparent produces some of the nicest effects. Before encasing, I recommend working the silver colors in a fairly cool, soft neutral to slightly reducing flame. After encasing in a clear or tint color, allow the bead to cool for a few seconds, until the orange glow subsides some, then gently reheat the bead, perhaps repeatedly, to enhance the silvers crystal growth. Once the glass is encased, some of the silver oxides go into solution with the casing layer. Reheating and cooling the bead causes the dissolved silver to precipitate into crystals that change colors as they grow. This is what develops the polychromatic swirls of color.

Nebula

This glass is primarily transparent blue- green with an iridescent sheen speckled with silver. Nebula grows silver crystals once encased with a thin layer of clear, forming blue-green swirls inside. Repeated reheating of the bead enhances this effect. If reduced it takes on a chrome-like shine. It looks great encased with a tint color, and is particularly attractive underneath Effetre dark lavender 081. In some applications, the color looks like a photo of outer space, thus the cosmic name.

Rhubarb

Rhubarb transmits a strawberry color and contains crystallized gold and silver oxides giving it the ability to strike to a polychromatic swirl of blues, greens, and yellows. The surface is studded with sparkling particles of silver that can reduce to a chrome-like shine if worked in a reducing atmosphere. Interesting effects can be achieved by encasing the Rhubarb in clear or transparent colored glass. Reheating the glass will develop and enhance both the pink tone of the base color and the silver crystal growth. Canes are strawberry shaped in cross section.

Dark Star

Dark Star is a reactive silver based formula similar to nebula but with an opaque black core to provide high contrast for the silver crystals swirl of color. This color has been pulled into flat canes for maximum efficiency, providing more visible surface area than a round cane. This is my favorite formula yet.

River Rock

The opaque brown tones of River Rock vary in intensity depending on how it is worked in the flame, ranging from a pale bone shade to a deep mocha color. Streaks of lighter colors form on the surface of the glass after it has been heated, creating interesting organic effects that mimic stones such as picture jasper. This color looks nice layered over black and encased in clear. Repeated reheating in a neutral flame can cause the surface strike to a variety of earthtone shades with areas of silver speckling. Layering this glass over Dark Ivory will produce a variety of organic effects. Reduction flames will bring the metals to the surface of the glass.

Aventurine Sparkle Collection

The glass in this collection will interact in "organic" ways with familiar colors like effetre's dark ivory and vetrofond's 919 pale ivory. Used over a more stable base color, the aventurine sparkle is preserved by gentle heating. If it is worked past a certain point, the copper that causes the sparkle effect can be dissolved, resulting in light green striations or swirls. Some of the colors also contain elements similar to those found in your flame working glasses, and these ingredients cause the glass to change tonalities depending on the light source.

Northern Lights

Is a lavender colored glass loaded with aventurine sparkle. Under certain lighting conditions the glass can appear blue or blue-green.

Sugar Plum

Sugar Plumb is a rich two-tone purple color infused with a golden sparkle.

Pacific Mist

Pacific Mist reflect a pinkish purple tone with a golden sparkle, while transmitting an ocean green color. Pacific Mist has the potential to react along it’s edges with other base bead colors such as Dark Ivory, developing a darker line where the two glasses meet. This glass shifts in tone and color depending on lighting, with the pinkest tones visible when viewed in sunlight or intense incandescent lighting.

Passionflower

This color is inspired by my favorite flower and fruit. The glass transmits a purple tone while reflecting a mixture of magenta with orange undertones.

Old 2005-10-01, 11:01am

I have just had an email from Double helix and they will post world wide.......Yipee I can't wait to get some glass........

Old 2005-10-01, 12:08pm
Carpe Beadum

Shawnette, thanks soooooo much for posting this! I'm going to the torch right now, and can't wait to try all of this!

Stacy - can't wait to see your pics!!! How did they turn out?

Old 2005-10-01, 12:24pm

Oh Man! I really want some of the River Rock it sounds delicious!

Old 2005-10-01, 2:37pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by isle-of-cats
Oh Man! I really want some of the River Rock it sounds delicious!
Keep an eye out for their Shorts Samplers and Stringer Samplers. I picked up a couple for $20 each and now I have all of their colors. (Too bad I haven't a clue, heheh)

Old 2005-10-08, 5:27pm
I fart diamonds

Double Helix has some Shorts Samplers up for $20 BIN.

http://stores.ebay.com/Double-Helix-...toreviewQQtZkm

Old 2005-10-20, 3:25pm

Dang!!!! He just put up more BIN!!!!!!!!!!!
I am out of money since I just bought two Zoozii tools...
So I thought I would be an enabler again! LOL

Old 2005-12-09, 6:08am
Wacky but Wonderful

Sorry to make this thread resurface, but I was wondering if somebody could post more things made with Northern Lights. I have tried it on 4 different bases and can't get it to show up. Has anybody had any luck with this one?

Now Nebula...that stuff is da bomb!!

-

Old 2005-12-09, 9:08am
Cheerfully Profane

Okay dangit! What did I miss? I can't get anything to pull up under their ebay name. Still says nothing for sale. I'm gettin agitated here! I want my stinkin' glass!

Rebekah