Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2018-06-22, 3:00pm

Default Question???

I just had my Propane tank refilled, For some reason the turn off knob on the tank is really, really hard to open or close. When finished torching for the day I always turn off the propane at the tank and bleed the lines, however getting the knob turned off enough is really hard. Then again when I try and turn it back on the next day It almost take a jack hammer to get it open again.

Liz R

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MADE IN THE U.S.A.

Lead me not into temptation, Oh hell follow me I know a short cut
Old 2018-06-22, 5:33pm

Take it back. That does not sound right. Is it your tank, or did they exchange it?
Old 2018-06-22, 8:37pm

It's my tank New 6 months ago.

Liz r

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MADE IN THE U.S.A.

Lead me not into temptation, Oh hell follow me I know a short cut
Old 2018-06-23, 6:40am

I am not sure what is going on, but if it was not like that before, something has happened to it. It should not be hard to turn on and off. I guess you know that though! I am not sure what the exact question is - if it were me, I'd be back at the place that filled it, and if that doesn't get the answer, back at the place you bought it. For me, that would be the same place and I'd stay there until it was resolved.
Old 2018-06-23, 11:27am

That's no good, it could be a hazard/serious problem. I had to take one of my 80lb propane tanks back to where I had it filled because of the valve sticking to where I couldn't open it, even with a wrench. I just had it filled and took it home so I could start working when I found out it only turn about 1/2 of a turn not near enough gas pressure for two torches.
I took it back to the welding shop and told them about it and they checked it out. Since I had I filled there less than an hour ago they agreed to replace the valve at no charge.
Of course they gave me a loaner tank to use but then took 3 months to fix the tank. But I had their 80lb tank to use while they fixed mine, good thing.
A bad valve on a propane tank, or any pressurized gas tank, is nothing to mess with, get it fixed soon, even if that means buying a new tank.