No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-02-24, 11:28am
Jacqueline Parkes

Default Shipping is Wacko in Canada!

I normally do not do a lot of shipping, especially within Canada but I had to this past week because of my bead sales in the garage. So I assumed it would be cheaper to mail within Canada than overseas or to the US.

WRONG!

I had a huge shock this morning. I was mailing a small bubble envelope to the next city over and they were going to charge me over eight dollars. He said it would be cheaper to ship it to Timbuktu. Omg, why I asked? He said talk to your government. Well this is just crazyyyyyyy talk.

So we opened the package and made it flatter and then it was just a little over a dollar. MORE CRAZY TALK!

And don't get me started on the one to Ontario.

So if I ever want to get serious about selling my lampwork online I am going to be sticking to pressed beads......

What an eye opener this week has been..........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-02-24, 1:56pm
Gay rights R human rights

Three words.....
Canada.Post.Sucks!

bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2009-02-24, 2:11pm
all for the love of glass

It's so ridiculous it's embarrassing really...

"Do not worry about your originality. You could not get rid of it even if you wanted to." -- Robert Henri.
Old 2009-02-24, 3:49pm

Holy crap%%$#%^$%#%^$%$#%^^$#@##@&!!!!!!!

Karen
Volkano Exotik
Old 2009-02-24, 4:08pm

WOW! Now I understand why one of my distributors up there has UPS be their broker!

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2009-02-24, 4:48pm

It is around $19 to send a USPS Priority package to Canada.

The USPS made it appear a bit more affordable and came up with a smaller box for $10.50. The punch line, the box is too small to accept the required Customs forms envelope.

Steve

Old 2009-02-24, 4:54pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I am still reeling in shock.

IT.SUCKS.BIG.TIME

How am I suppose to become a famous lampworker? LOL

Old 2009-02-24, 4:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveWright View Post
It is around $19 to send a USPS Priority package to Canada.

The USPS made it appear a bit more affordable and came up with a smaller box for $10.50. The punch line, the box is too small to accept the required Customs forms envelope.

Steve
USPS clerk suggested the Tyvek envelope for that. You put the box in the envelope, and the customs form in the pouch sticks to the envelope. Awkward but it works.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2009-02-24, 5:06pm

My mom used to be a postal clerk in the Thousand Islands in NY. Canadians would carpool to come to the states to mail things. They would pay other people to travel to the states to mail things. She was amazed at the huge number of Canadians who used our postal services. Now this was in the eighties, so it is probably worse now. I complain about our mail, but I think you all have it worse.
My Etsy

SRA
#H135
Old 2009-02-24, 5:11pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I may be rethinking my business plan.....It may make more sense to stick to local shows rather than online sales. Darn. I was really having fun on Etsy.

Old 2009-02-24, 8:26pm
I practice alchemy!

LOL!! I lived in Canada during the 80's and we griped and made jokes about the postal system then. Obviously, it's still just as bad...

Celeste
Old 2009-02-24, 8:53pm
I need more boro stuff

My cousin lives in Vancouver and he didn't received any mail for more than 3 months. Turned out, the Postie returned all his mail back to senders without warning.

Old 2009-02-24, 9:56pm
Life is change. Love it

I don't press all my beads, just most of them. My beads are wrapped in tissue, then in bubble wrap, than in a hard mailer and finally into a bubble mailer. They always go through the mail slot and can be mailed as a light packet which is $1.86 under 100 grams and $4.40 or something over 100 grams down to the US. It is cheaper within Canada.

I break even on my mailing, and it really is a pretty good deal. Most of my beads are sold to 2-3 ebay customers and I can mail uo to 5 sets this way for $4.40.

BTW, UPS from the US is the biggest ripoff ever. They charge huge amounts of brokerage just to get your stuff across the border in addition to the mailing cost and then customs on top of that. I will never buy from a US company that ships only UPS.

Oh and I have never had a package go astray and I sell pretty much a set a day. So Canada Post isn't so bad.

Old 2009-02-25, 7:37am
old person/new member

Carolyn I am with you all the way.

I have been quite happy with Can Post. Size counts. Those envelopes are cheap- it all a matter of flatness!

I have had several nightmares with UPS from the US. I once ordered a bottle of essential oil froma company in North Carolina. It was a 1 lb bottle that cost $25. UPS charge me $62 for clearing it. Now if a US company will only ship via UPS (like harbour freignt) I won't order from them.

I concur- NEVER ORDER ANYTHING VIA COURIER FROM THE US.

Occasionally, Can Post will charge a $5 clearing cost as well as our gst and pst. I find this only happens in one out about 15 packages ordered. I have no idea how some many escape the charge- but it always makes me smile!!

Old 2009-02-25, 7:41am
Jacqueline Parkes

Wow, what is up with that?

I had some packages go missing a few years ago from some beading buddies, totally sucked! I really don't trust the postal service much but what can we do?

I think postal workers that are found guilty of these type of crimes (I saw stories about workers in the US keeping the mail in their houses instead of delivering) should have the book thrown at them. JAIL TIME! It is theft, no matter how you look at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gubnavnania View Post
My cousin lives in Vancouver and he didn't received any mail for more than 3 months. Turned out, the Postie returned all his mail back to senders without warning.

Old 2009-02-25, 7:43am
Jacqueline Parkes

That hasn't been my experience and I had a package go missing about six weeks ago. She still has not received her beads, sigh.

If you are mailing that way, it is because they assume what is inside is paper. If it is not paper then it goes parcel rate. This is what I understand anyways..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn M View Post
I don't press all my beads, just most of them. My beads are wrapped in tissue, then in bubble wrap, than in a hard mailer and finally into a bubble mailer. They always go through the mail slot and can be mailed as a light packet which is $1.86 under 100 grams and $4.40 or something over 100 grams down to the US. It is cheaper within Canada.

I break even on my mailing, and it really is a pretty good deal. Most of my beads are sold to 2-3 ebay customers and I can mail uo to 5 sets this way for $4.40.

BTW, UPS from the US is the biggest ripoff ever. They charge huge amounts of brokerage just to get your stuff across the border in addition to the mailing cost and then customs on top of that. I will never buy from a US company that ships only UPS.

Oh and I have never had a package go astray and I sell pretty much a set a day. So Canada Post isn't so bad.

Old 2009-02-25, 7:44am
Jacqueline Parkes

Size does count and I am going to mail a package tomorrow and try and to beat this mess. I am keeping it very very flat but mind you, I have to say it is paper, nothing else. If customs discovers it is beads they can send it back. This is my understanding anyways...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy at the Beach View Post
Carolyn I am with you all the way.

I have been quite happy with Can Post. Size counts. Those envelopes are cheap- it all a matter of flatness!

I have had several nightmares with UPS from the US. I once ordered a bottle of essential oil froma company in North Carolina. It was a 1 lb bottle that cost $25. UPS charge me $62 for clearing it. Now if a US company will only ship via UPS (like harbour freignt) I won't order from them.

I concur- NEVER ORDER ANYTHING VIA COURIER FROM THE US.

Occasionally, Can Post will charge a $5 clearing cost as well as our gst and pst. I find this only happens in one out about 15 packages ordered. I have no idea how some many escape the charge- but it always makes me smile!!

Old 2009-02-25, 7:45am
Jacqueline Parkes

Never ever have packages couriered to Canada! I learned the hard way some years ago too. It is a financial nightmare. I have tried to explain this to suppliers in the US, some understand, some do not care.

Old 2009-02-25, 7:46am
Jacqueline Parkes

What is a hard mailer? How can you keep your packages so flat with all that wrapping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn M View Post

Old 2009-02-25, 8:33am
old person/new member

Far as I know- the the cardboard mailing envelopes must fit through a slot. If they don't fit through, you are upped to the next size which means more money.