No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2010-08-07, 6:27pm

Talking Newbie with a new studio :)

Hi everyone,

After reading this forum for a long time and educating myself about lampworking, I have finally decided to start working with glass myself.
My name is Pille and I live on Vancouver Island, Canada.

I took a class from Damaris from the RedRoom in Nanaimo and I made my first beads about 3 weeks ago and have been going at it ever since.
I converted my 12x12 shed into a studio, got a kiln from MacKilns called the Lilly (since I want to do fusing and slumping in the near future, I thought it's the perfect kiln for me). I've got a 600CFM ventilation hood.
I've been using Mapp gas with a hot head, but my Nortel Minor should arrive on Monday - I can't wait to stop running back and forth to the hardware store to buy more gas every couple of days! I'm also waiting for an oxygen concentrator to arrive within the next week or so.

Anyway, I thought I'd post a couple of pics of my studio setup. It's sill not complete, I need to stock up on LOTS of glass and some cool tools! But what I've got is a start anyway.
Old 2010-08-07, 6:28pm

Old 2010-08-07, 7:08pm

Looks like you are off to a great start there! Post more pics when you get your new torch set up and get more glass. If you need to be enabled you may want to check out THIS THREAD to add to your glass stock. I just grabbed 20 pounds of it to build up my stock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-08-07, 7:35pm
honorary bead lady

Well welcome out of lurkdom! So are you gonna drive down to the BASH on the 21st???

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=169218
Old 2010-08-07, 8:22pm
Powers Art Studio

Looks like a great start and a very creative environment! I love how neat it is and organized

Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-08-09, 8:26am

Thanks guys! And thanks for the glass sale info, Rose! I'll definitely have to do some shopping there before the deal is over
I wish I had known about the BASH earlier, but I guess there is always the next year.
Old 2010-08-09, 10:19am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Great looking studio, congratulations! I love the view, looks like you have some pretty trees outside.

Old 2010-08-09, 7:00pm
Favorite color is shiny

How awesome Pille!!!! It's just beautiful and I know you're excited to have such a nice place to be creative. I too am fairly new to lampworking and am soo proud of my new Shedio.

If you get a chance check out my blog/pics (hasn't been edited yet soooo)

http://seasonedsoulstudio.blogspot.com/

Can't wait to see more pics of your Studio.

I'm back after a long time with a cold torch. Torch Lit.... Life is goooood.....now!

---> LE
Old 2010-08-10, 3:14am
BeadsonCypress

WOW what a great set-up!!! enjoy!!

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2010-08-10, 11:27am
Gentleman of Leisure

Great space....

A side question, did you do smoke test on hood?.... I know I have suggested in past the use of the "high capacity" range hoods but have not seen any results by anybody using that sort of hood. You so far are the "test case" and I was wondering what test results you may have on system?

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2010-08-11, 6:00pm

You guys are so amazingly encouraging and inspiring! This is my favorite place to come every night after working in my studio.
Lynn, I love your Shedio! What a great job! You remind me of me, because I did all the work myself as well. The joys of a single girl I still have to finish the other half of the shed, but have to wait until Home Depot gets more of my panelling in. Apparently I exhausted their supply, lol.
Dale, I haven't done any actual smoke tests, but I will get some incense sticks this weekend. When the fan is running, it is almost pulling the tip of the flame upward though, and I can feel the suction on my hands while working. I'll post an update after my little test.
Old 2010-08-12, 7:47am
judejudejude

awesome set up, i too look every evening and morning at this site, great site. welcome to the torch. i thought once i mastered glass i would try some welding with scrap metal but i now know that i will never master this amazing stuff. there is always something new around the corner. guess the metal will have to wait till another life. another island lampworker, yahoo. keep that torch lit
Old 2010-08-12, 8:52am
Salt Box Beads

Great job...and don't forget replacement air. I love the large window.
Old 2010-08-12, 9:58am

wow. nice
only thing I'd do is add more tile to the wall, wrap it around the corner on the right. that soft glass is pretty touchy stuff and wow what pretty walls. just a thought.

if my studio ever looked that nice, my wife would kick me out of there and claim it for her own

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.

Last edited by murf; 2010-08-12 at 10:01am.
Old 2010-08-30, 9:36am
Somebody's watching me!

nice studio..will you marry me?

Old 2010-08-30, 1:09pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakerman44 View Post
nice studio..will you marry me?

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-08-30, 4:07pm
Torchaholic ;)

Dig your shop, good luck with all you touch

FOLLOW OUR TRAVELS IN THE MOBILE SHOP !

Old 2010-08-30, 4:12pm

Awsome that you did all the work! Very professional and what a great space!

Linda
Old 2010-08-30, 9:01pm

Bakerman - LOL, that's funny! I'm tempted, haha.

I'm finally supposed to get my oxygen concentrator this week, it's taking way longer than expected to get it delivered. But hopefully Thursday or Friday this week is my lucky day!
On the other hand this wait has given me time to hook up the propane and set up the Minor and also try my hand with fusing. I made 2 of the most mis-shaped ugly plates you've ever seen, haha. I should have taken pictures!
Thanks everyone for your kind words
Old 2010-09-02, 9:35pm
Somebody's watching me!

i have some fusing glass in the garage..im too nervous to try it out...and lazy...but i havn't looked up enough information yet...

Old 2016-03-05, 3:39pm

Smile Thank you, FlameArt

I a just graduating from a HotHead (and a love/hate relationship!!) to a Carlisle Mini-CC. I bought an oxygen concentrator with NO IDEA IN THIS WORLD how to hook it up to the hoses I bought with the Carlisle! I am searching for a Propane Fill/Exchange service in my area (Sarasota, FL), but the concentrator arrived today. OMG! There is no 'screw-in' place for the tubing??? What now?? Could you (in you heart) help me?? Please?? jdleigh
Old 2016-03-07, 8:06am
Marble Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameart View Post
...I need to stock up on LOTS of glass and some cool tools...
You got the most important part figured out.

-BEP
Old 2016-03-16, 8:42pm
Phill

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdleigh View Post
I a just graduating from a HotHead (and a love/hate relationship!!) to a Carlisle Mini-CC. I bought an oxygen concentrator with NO IDEA IN THIS WORLD how to hook it up to the hoses I bought with the Carlisle! I am searching for a Propane Fill/Exchange service in my area (Sarasota, FL), but the concentrator arrived today. OMG! There is no 'screw-in' place for the tubing??? What now?? Could you (in you heart) help me?? Please?? jdleigh

Some folks use clear hose to go from the oxycon to the torch. they use something called a barbed fitting that looks like this;

or something similar.

Others find they can unscrew that barb fitting and find a threaded
connector that will connect to the type T welding hose a lot of use.

Sometimes you have to find something called a B Fitting at the hardware store to make it all work.