Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-09-23, 2:11pm
I speak Murrini!

Default Murrini Slicing/Nipping Tips! :)

Hi All!

I've received many PMs lately asking for guidance on cutting up murrini. I have cut several thousand slices in the last couple months, so I thought I'd share my technique, the cutter I use, and a few tips on keeping those murrini "local" when cutting so you aren't doing the duck-and-cover or hands-and-knees retrieval method! It's simple and kinda hokey, but it works!

First of all, I use a wheeled nipper to cut up my cane. It's a bit of an investment, but boy oh boy does it save time! And makes a nice even cut to the rod which definitely reduces waste! I bought mine at my local glass/bead shop, but an almost identical item can be purchased from Delphi (or check with your favorite supplier):

http://www.delphiglass.com/index.cfm...emsysid=169694

Now here's a couple BIG TIPS if using these to cut up your murrini:

Make sure you hold the rod level (exactly 90 degrees to the cutter); any slight angle up or down can cause an uneven cut (leaving your slice with a thick and thin side). As you can see here, it is easy to gauge the thickness of your slice when using these:

Also, when you hold the rod inside the wheels to nip it, I keep it ever so slight forward or slightly behind "dead center" where the wheels come together. I have found this to help sort of "cleave" the rod and avoids that "grinding of the teeth" sound and feel you can get if you try to cut the rod at it's highest point and exactly even between the wheels. (And don't we all HATE that sound?) In essence, this allows you to put pressure from the wheels on around 3/4 of the rod diameter - and seems to help making even thickness slices. These pictures are very exaggerated though (yes, come a quite a bit closer to the center mark between the wheels) but you get the idea:

Forward (away from you) of the wheels' center:

Behind (toward you) of the wheels' center:

Now for my hokey method on how I keep my murrini from flying all over the place...I use two towels (a beach type and a hand type) and a roll of paper towels.

First, I lay out the beach towel, and curve the end over the roll of paper towels.

I then take a darker dish towel (helpful if your murrini are on the lighter color side) and lay that over the beach towel. Now for the trick: Tuck the dish/beach towel slightly "in" where it meets the paper towel roll - this is your "catching" bin:

As you nip your slices, they shoot into the "tuck" spot of your towels, and voila, no loss of your precious murrini!

You'll find after a while it becomes pretty easy to "eye ball" the thickness of the murrini by knowing where the wheels come together and how much you allow to stick out beyond them. You can easily get into a rhythm with this method and cutting murrini is not longer a pain in the rear! I actually think it's kinda fun now!

Hope you find this helps some of you out! If you have additional suggestions or sources for cutters, please post!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro

Last edited by theglasszone; 2011-04-12 at 9:36pm. Reason: Clarifying a little on the "sweet" cutting spot...
Old 2009-09-23, 7:38pm
Eyes upon the horizon

Great tips! Thanks so much. I still have about 5 feet of uncut murrini from the Milli challenge. I've been too scared to cut into any of it.

I have a couple of questions... How thick do you like to cut your slices? Also, would you cut the same thickness regardless of the cane's diameter? Most of my cane is about 4-6 mm, but my mushroom cane is about 8-9 mm. Would I be correct in thinking the thickness you cut the chips is more about being able to grab them with tweezers and less about the diameter of the design? I hope that makes sense LOL.

Your pictures are really great and give me a lot more confidence to finally try cutting my "precious" (lol) canes. The towel trick is a great idea. About half of the slices I *have* cut have ended up on the floor, never to be found. Now to buy a good pair of disc nippers and make a practice cane to chop on until I get comfortable with the process. I've just gotten back to the torch after some unfortunate hand injuries and I really want to learn to use the murrini I've made. Hopefully this will give me the kick in the butt I need to finally face my fears Thanks again!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-09-23, 9:37pm
I speak Murrini!

Hey Melissa !!! Welcome back to glass...glad your hands are doing better!

I tend to go with your feeling about the thickness of the slices - whatever works for being able to tweezer them comfortably and I would say about 2-2.5mm is about right for me. I DO tend to cut all mine the same thickness irregardless of the diameter. I've seen in the past where murrini makers use a saw and slice paper-thin murrini which may work well for some applications, but I try and gear my slice sizing toward the general lampworking populous as I'm not sure what would be required to use the ultra-thin slices. I know I sure wouldn't have a clue and would definitely melt/warp them with my usual-and-customary tweezers method - back-of-the-flame waving pre-heat - long before they got even close to the base bead - pffttt!

As far as "precious" murrini is concerned, oh how I covet and adore some of my special ones...they are like gems to me! Heather's Clown Fish, Ryan's Butterflies, Mavis Smith's Sea Turtles, to name a few. I even have them in a lock box in my studio...in case of disaster, they will be safe and sound right along with my Visas, Berth Certificates and Family Photos. Silly, I know, but that's just how much I love them!

Hoping you start cutting and using yours soon! I'd love to see them! Photos please?

De

Old 2009-09-24, 10:57pm
Eyes upon the horizon

You totally rock... Thanks so much! Once I get some good nippers, I'll try to get some decent pics to post here. I'm bound to get *some* good slices. I hope I hope I hope. LOL.

Old 2009-09-25, 5:53am
Cat Winx

De..

Once again you are so generous and helpful with your time and knowledge.

This is something I have often wondered as I know murrini making lurks in my future somewhere. Naoww will have to add some good disc cutters to the list of tools I gotta have but cannot yet quite afford.

Thank you SO much,

Rachel the firekat

Old 2010-02-12, 2:31am

I actually have a pair of both ceramic tile nippers (from Lowe's) and a pair of Leponnit mosaic cutters (the original disk cutters). I have tried both these and also tried other versions of the two different types. Interestingly, I always get better results with the tile nippers. The disk cutters tend to create a sort of concave or convex cut which means the murrine don't lie flat when fusing. I can also cut thinner slices without getting unpredictable breakage. I have theories as to why, but I wonder if anyone else could chime in with a comparison. Perhaps it's not a universal phenomenon.
Old 2010-02-13, 3:24am
Unmedicated since '62

that tip about the paper towel and towel is simple but brilliant - i'm still finding chunks of murrini in corners 3 months after i cut them

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2010-02-13, 6:25am
DSDWC

I use the same style nippers but have the cane come from the other direction. This allows me to line the cane up with the screws holding the wheels on as my length mark for the perfect size chip. I also found you can put you index finger on the end of the rod and that will keep the chip from flying and cause it to drop straight down into the awaiting bowl.

Old 2010-04-01, 11:21pm

After chasing all my murrini chips all over the room...I decided I needed to corrall them at the cutting point.

I got a large ziplock bag and cut a slit in the side, just big enough to get my wheely nippers through. Then put your hand and the rod in through the top. No more flying murrini! (sounds like an old vaudeville trapeze act doesn't it? )

Then you can just pour out the murrini, and start again with the next batch.

I can even do it in front of the TV confident I am not spreading glass chips all over my loungeroom.
Old 2010-04-02, 7:16am
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Cornette View Post
I use the same style nippers but have the cane come from the other direction. This allows me to line the cane up with the screws holding the wheels on as my length mark for the perfect size chip. I also found you can put you index finger on the end of the rod and that will keep the chip from flying and cause it to drop straight down into the awaiting bowl.
I've seen Trey cut murrini and it is poetry in motion. But trying it at home was another matter, so thanks for the refresher!

And De thanks for the other idea, I will try that one too.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-04-02, 10:19am

---just wanted to add a word of caution regarding murrini cutting. Any time that you cut glass you are making a small amount of glass dust.

You would be safer to do this in your ventilated area, wear a respirator, and do a wet clean up when you're done.

---now back to your regularly scheduled thread.
Old 2010-04-02, 11:37am
I speak Murrini!

Thank you Lynda for the great advice/reminder!

De

Old 2011-07-25, 8:50am
I speak Murrini!

BUMP!

Old 2011-07-25, 9:08am

The leponitt mosaic two wheeled cutters do the job and are readily available however the silberschnidts are the luxury german made deluxe porche of two wheeled cutters. I will have them in stock very soon as EVERY student who tried them at our recent workshop did not want to let them out of their hand. Several students who have hand issues got them selves a pair within moments. They are that good. It was funny to watch how excited they got over them. Let me know if you would like a pair if your local glass retailer doesnt have them.
Old 2011-07-25, 10:44am
Loving learning

Thank you for bumping, I've been winging it to cut what I'm making for he challenge/swap, but I got some good insight from this thread!
Old 2011-07-25, 10:52am

Love the towel idea!
Old 2011-07-25, 3:12pm
Formerly FishBulb

What do you do for the really thick canes? I have some DH canes that are 7 - 9 mm and I can't cut them with my tile nippers no how. Do you find the wheeled nippers work well for this thickness? If so, I'll get some.

Kissmyglassjackie, if you do get some of those nippers in, make sure to let us know!

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2011-07-25, 3:24pm
Cat Winx

Thumbs up use a towel to catch murrini when nipping..

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveglass View Post
Love the towel idea!
Haven't been following this thread very closely.. but that towel idea *had* to have come from De.
If it hadn't been for her suggestions, my very first murrini (and those that followed) would STILL be decorating the floor of my (now completely packed up ;} shop!
Thanks De!

~Rachel

Old 2011-07-25, 4:27pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBulb View Post
What do you do for the really thick canes? I have some DH canes that are 7 - 9 mm and I can't cut them with my tile nippers no how.
Punty them up and pull them down.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-07-25, 8:47pm
Otter

Hey De Anne,

Very good suggestions on cutting murrini and how to keep them under control.

I use disk nippers I got at bulleye that has a little bag attached here is a link.

http://www.bullseyeglass.com/product...gc-cutter.html

They work really good there is a bit of a learning curve but once you get a system down you can cut them really fast and have them in the nice little pouch.

I also like to cut my murrini outside to avoid the glass dust.

John

Murrini for Sale

#R124
Old 2011-07-25, 9:06pm
Formerly FishBulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
Punty them up and pull them down.
That's probably the most logical approach! I was hoping to keep them large though; I like big murrini.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2011-07-26, 6:13am

The only way to reliably cut big murrini is with a wet saw. I nip small ones but bigger things like face cane (1/2 inch or more) I always cut with a saw.

Robert
Old 2011-07-26, 7:56am

Also I wanted to mention that you can loosen the disk cutter and turn the wheel to get a new sharp edge. When I used these for stained glass I never knew about that.
Dee that's a great tut. I did make the jar for cutting in the tips section. Works pretty darn well.

Last edited by Pat; 2011-07-26 at 2:27pm. Reason: wrong word
Old 2011-07-26, 10:33am
Cat Winx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Also I wanted to mention that you can loosen the disk cutter and turn the wheel to get a new sharp service. When I used these for stained glass I never knew about that.
Dee that's a great tut. I did make the jar for cutting in the tips section. Works pretty darn well.
DeAnne rocks... always has, always will!

~Rachel
P.S. Robert, excellent reminder about the wet saw. Don't know why I didn't think of that re: for big murrini. Could you use a tile saw, do you think? ~R

Old 2011-07-26, 10:58am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCB23 View Post
DeAnne rocks... always has, always will!

~Rachel
P.S. Robert, excellent reminder about the wet saw. Don't know why I didn't think of that re: for big murrini. Could you use a tile saw, do you think? ~R
Yes, she does.

I have a couple of tile saws fitted with lapidary blades for murrini cutting. I use an MK 470 for bigger pieces and a QEP for smaller stuff. There are several good thin kerf diamond blades available from lapidary suppliers or MK Diamond.

Robert
Old 2011-07-26, 11:48am

Wish I could post a picture of this, but you'll have to try to follow my directions. I learned this from another glass fuser and it is a wonderful tip!

Keep your glass rod straight up and down the whole time.

Place your nippers on whatever surface you choose, as level and even as you can, and keep the screws facing down. This is important as this will give you the exact same spacing each time.

With the nippers down, put your murrini bottom on the table/towel surface - in between the cutting area of the nippers and squeeze. Move your first cut away from you and do it again, keeping the screw side down.

Each slice should be almost exactly the same as the screws provide the same spacer when cut.

Just keep your murrini steady and straight up and down.

They may not be the thinest you can do, but they will all be even when you're finished.

Barbara