Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > The Mall > Sale Rack

Sale Rack -- Sales, Promotions, Giveaways, Specials, Etc.
Only LE Vendors may start threads, but anyone may reply.

Old 2013-06-15, 8:40am

Default Is It a Rod? Is It a Strip? No, It's Dichroic CIM Styx/Appletini

Dichroic CIM STYX /Appletini

Is it a ROD? Is it a STRIP?
No, It's CIM STYX / Appletini!!!

If you're tired of dichro that scums and burns out, then you'll love the simple elegance of CIM STYX. They are rounded on the top and side like a rod, but flat on the bottom like a strip. They're COATED ON THE FLAT BOTTOM SURFACE with MAGENTA/GREEN from Coatings by Sandberg. That's MAGENTA/TRANSMITTED and GREEN/REFLECTED.

$15 Each
15.75" Long. 1/4" Wide.
COE 104 Compatible

Check Them Out!

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I love making Styx! I fire them in my studio and send 'em off to Howard at CBS. The reason I make them is because, after years of producing DVD's on dichro, and hearing artists complain about expensive failures with their dichro, it came to me that if I kiln fired a rod so that the bottom surface went flat, but the sides and top were still rounded like a gumdrop, I'd be able to avoid the usual pitfalls of working with dichro.

First, because of the rounded sides, when you heat the uncoated side, the flame can't lick around those chubby bulbous sides and damage the dichroic coating like they can with strips. So because of the shape, the dichroic surface is protected during your heating phase.

Then, when you turn it over and apply it to your piece, it's pretty much already encased. Just tamp it down a little bit and it's done with no edges exposed. Voila!

So you save your dichro from burnout, save yourself the encasing step, save your piece and save some money because of reduced failures. It's a win/win.

Anyway, that's why I make them....in teeny tiny batches of 13-14 per firing.

Appletini is our first CIM Styx. Would love your suggestions for other colors to coat.....
Old 2013-06-15, 9:26am
Lampworkaholic!

Messy Blush!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-06-15, 11:01am

That sounds beautiful! I checked it out, though, and in Glasscraft's listing it states that BLUSH can have varying opacity and can be translucent in certain circumstances. I love the color, but need to coat colors that stay truly transparent no matter how long they're in the flame..

Keep up the good work! Any more suggestions?

Last edited by firelady; 2013-06-15 at 11:50am. Reason: Typo
Old 2013-06-15, 12:19pm
Fried Cat

What about one of the newer purples? Lavender Water or Eventide?

Messy Pink Champagne
Old 2013-06-15, 2:21pm
"Sinners have soul too"

So the dichro is applied after you fire them??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-06-15, 4:22pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
That sounds beautiful! I checked it out, though, and in Glasscraft's listing it states that BLUSH can have varying opacity and can be translucent in certain circumstances. I love the color, but need to coat colors that stay truly transparent no matter how long they're in the flame..

Keep up the good work! Any more suggestions?

is transparent. There's a batch of transparent
that may go translucent. And a lot of misinformation floating around about it being reproduced as Blush. But Blush is a separate color.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-06-15, 4:23pm

Lavender Water and Pink Champagne both look VERY promising!

Last edited by firelady; 2013-06-15 at 4:24pm. Reason: spelling!
Old 2013-06-15, 4:25pm

Yes, I fire the rods, clean them, and send them to Coatings by Sandberg for coating....
Old 2013-06-15, 4:28pm

They're coated on the FLAT BOTTOM SURFACE, in case you didn't read the thread from the very beginning....Just wanted to clarify!
Old 2013-06-15, 5:16pm

Quote:

is transparent. There's a batch of transparent
that may go translucent. And a lot of misinformation floating around about it being reproduced as Blush. But Blush is a separate color.
I am pretty sure I had some of that batch of blush!! When I made the bead it was looking perfect but after wards it was a cloudy pink. Very nice if that was the effect I wanted but it wasn't.

Alas...more dichro to choose from

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2013-06-17, 9:30pm

Thanks for your orders, guys. I've only got 8 Styx left!!!
Old 2013-06-21, 7:53am
Cheesehead Packer lover

I received mine and they are beautiful!!!!! I'm looking forward to more colors.

Cherie
Sisters Beads
If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague
Old 2013-07-24, 5:16pm
Senior Member | Jenelle

Loved the Green Appletini Styx =)
Here is a set I used some on, the red beads are the Styx rod dipped in Gold Ruby frit, and there are some of just the appletini as well although they aren't as easy to spot in the pic as the reds. very nice sparkle, zero scuz and I didn't take any special care really when using the rod, so easy peezy. =) Thanks so much, will be back for more!

|
|
|
|

Old 2013-07-24, 10:03pm

Wow! Those are BEAUTIFUL!!! Thanks for posting. I just sent out some rods to be coated to CBS today....I made Lauscha Styx Narrow, Lauscha Styx Wide and Extra Wide, and Lauscha Blutonium, with Rainbow 2. AND there will be more Appletini Styx, also with Rainbow 2. I think that might be brighter than the last batch. I'll keep you posted.

PS. The Lauscha Styx are Lauscha Clear unless otherwise noted....
Old 2013-07-25, 6:34pm

Firelady, those appletini Styx look scrumptious! Please post when they are ready!

(ready yet? No?)

(now? Ready now?)

--Helene
Old 2013-07-26, 6:02pm

I certainly will!!!
Old 2013-08-24, 7:11am

Hi! The second batch of Appletini Styx is IN and ready to SHIP!!!!!
These are coated with RAINBOW 2, and I am thrilled with them......
Old 2013-08-24, 8:08am
I speak Murrini!

Um, rainbow? Now I'm dying to see 'em!
Pictures soon?

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2013-08-24, 10:59am

Beautiful! I'd like to see the rainbow too!!

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2013-10-11, 1:36pm

Default Photos of Appletini Styx with Rainbow 2

OK, it took me long enough, but here's some photos of the CIM Styx Appletini with Rainbow 2:

I think the 2 on the right hand side look closest to what the rods look like in both reflected and transmitted light.

You can get them at:
Old 2013-10-11, 6:49pm

Default rainbow

oooooooh!

I love the rainbow!

Looks like an order will be in my future.......

Joan
Old 2013-10-15, 9:52am

We've got plenty so we're ready when you are!
Old 2013-11-18, 5:15pm

Default CIM STYX are on SALE for November! $10 Each

I decided to offer a November SALE on these Styx.....

Instead of $15 a Styx, you can get them now for just $10 each!