Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2018-06-19, 3:06pm
Newfoundland lover!

Default Best Clear

Hi Folks I am back after many years!
What clear is the best these days? 104 please

Lynx, tanked propane, M-10 oxy and refurb oxy -5.
Old 2018-06-19, 6:24pm
Loving learning

Depends on what you want. The Effetre 006 I got last time is pretty darn good. I use it most.

Double Helix Zephyr is smooth and melty and as perfect as I could ask, but more $$ so I don't use it for everything. I core with clear a lot, but any old clear will do, and I have some old 004 that is scummy and gets used for that, or my I use my 006 if I don't have any of the 004 out, and I think I only have a few rods of the 004 left so will be using 006 for all coring soon.

DH Aether is also great, but reactive with some things, which can be used to advantage if that is the effect you are after.

I haven't used most of the others, so have no knowledge of them.
Old 2018-06-19, 8:47pm
Newfoundland lover!

Eileen thanks for your generous suggestions!
Have a little bit of Aether. I think Diamond clear (?) was a good one, expensive though.
I will look at getting The Effetre 006.
Will have to check my old Effetre clear. I KNOW I have some scummy stuff for sure!
Thanks!

Old 2018-06-19, 9:43pm
Loving learning

006 has been inconsistent by runs I guess, but the last batch I bought (last year most likely) was pretty good. I just have to remember to pick off the end of the rod where they cut it.
Old 2018-06-19, 9:44pm
Loving learning

And remember that Double Helix puts 2nds on their website, and I can often find clear on there in the bargain section, which are still doggone good.
Old 2018-06-19, 10:01pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by merigypsy View Post
Eileen thanks for your generous suggestions!
Have a little bit of Aether. I think Diamond clear (?) was a good one, expensive though.
I will look at getting The Effetre 006.
Will have to check my old Effetre clear. I KNOW I have some scummy stuff for sure!
Thanks!

Definitely Double Helix Zephyr and Aether (may be reactive on silver reducing colors).

Diamond Clear had compatibility issues a few years back and were discontinued. Also with boro being so popular, both Northstar and TAG haven't been making their 104 glasses anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
Old 2018-06-28, 1:03am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

I won't use anything except Zephyr on the outside of a bead. It's my dream clear.

L-111

Old 2018-06-28, 4:39pm
Newfoundland lover!

Pat, Eregel. I was happy as a clam to find I had a bundle of Zephyr and Aether. I practiced for a while using 006. I am saving these precious bundles for better work and skill.