Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2014-01-20, 12:44am

I totally agree. Plus, how in the world could you keep track of who breaks the "rule" - let alone enforce it. Just seems unrealistic to me. Teach your designs when you are ready to let them go. Hopefully people will add their own voice to what they learn, but you have to expect that not all will, and be okay with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliente View Post

I don't think you can realistically expect someone to pay to learn a technique and be restricted on what they can do with it. I think if you don't want it used, you ought not to sell it or teach it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2014-03-02, 1:46am

id add to this that the artist has had to lern the way they made there art so i guess they should allso give acknowledgement for all the people that contibuted to them developing there techique unless they are awseome and are self taugt with zero ouside infulence.
Old 2014-03-08, 9:30am
Burn baby, burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
Fabulous!
Old 2014-03-08, 5:35pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zact01 View Post
id add to this that the artist has had to lern the way they made there art so i guess they should allso give acknowledgement for all the people that contibuted to them developing there techique unless they are awseome and are self taugt with zero ouside infulence.
No one has had zero outside influence. And if I tried to credit every influence I've had in my life as an artist, it would take up more space than anyone would bother to read.

Old 2014-03-11, 2:29am

I do not see anyone winning this in court, simply because if it is hand made you will never have two that are the same. techniques once taught im sorry to say are gone
sad but life. Im sure the guy who made the first ice cream cone would agree with me
Old 2014-04-30, 7:06am

This type of debate is why I'm discourage to display anything I've made. I'm even afraid to make a website to show and/or sell my work. I constantly see similar items I thought were unique to me being made by someone else. I am by no means an expert on any technique. EVERYTHING I have learned has been inspired/encouraged or taught to me by someone else. There seems (to me) to be only a few artist that have a "truly" unique technique, design or expertise that anyone can give credit for (beads/enamel/metal/etc.). These current artist's are the in the same group of innovators we have learned from historically. I feel that all aspects of our lives are touched by this: medical, agriculture, parenting, computer science etc. I feel that all artists have incorporated something they have learned or been inspired by at some point in their endeavor as an artist. A simple round bead, basic beading, metal working, etc. All have to be learned to create our own pieces. All this being said, I am not condoning outright coping of someone else's designs as their own. There is a fine line.

I guess I see it as a transformation into something else unique. Aren't ALL lamp work beads unique and extremely difficult to reproduce exactly the same?.

Thank you to all the people who have offered advice, tutorials and classes on how to improve my skills, I greatly and truly appreciate it. I'm hoping that sometime in the future I will not be stymied by this dilemma.
Old 2014-04-30, 9:35am
Fried Cat

I save ALOT of photos of others work. Pinterest or screen captures. I like looking at the pretty pictures.

My rule of thumb is to take a very basic broad idea, and change two or three elements, and add a conflicting element.

If it's round, make it square.
If it is silver glass, use opaque. And etch it.

I took a Libby Leu class, the bead fell into pieces when I dropped it, so it's now being electroformed. And it looks nothing like her original design. There's no obvious Libby there. But it was made with her class in mind.

But I also repeat designs I see, copying Holly Cooper lends practice to her stringer technique. Sara Sally, Lisa St Martin and Hayley Tsang all teach silver glass. Mimicking their techniques, and slowly experimenting with your own changes allows you to grow.

I see it as feeding babies. We know formula, rice cereal, and applesauce. In that order at specific stages. It works. From there it's up to you to add squash, bananas, or whatever else. Of squash doesn't work. Go back to applesauce, consider why squash may not have worked, and try again. The baby's first trinity (or what you learn by copying, or perhaps the basics to a complicated bead) will stay with you.
Old 2014-04-30, 8:21pm

SGA, I love your analogy. I agree, I know I add/change, sometimes multiple, different things I have learned
Old 2014-05-05, 3:22pm

I sometimes consider this whole topic of debate less legal and more ethical. I ethically will not sell items made in someone else's style, to me that violates my sense of artistic self. I will follow tutorials step by step and make the example bead verbatim, but I consider that a learning tool and not a salable item. As someone who has had my work signed and sold by another, I can not do the same to someone else, even if the work is my own but based on their vision.

That said, I'm a teacher by nature, I have taught so many people in math and science. To me, knowledge given freely is a beautiful thing. We each take it to a different place and change it to be a part of us. I could never imagine saying "don't use this information unless you pass it by me first."