Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-02-02, 6:48pm

Default Where To Purchase Vent Hood?

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where I can buy a ventilation hood that has a proper CFM rated fan and the proper sized duct? A lot of the places I've found are charging over $300. Is that a price I should expect to pay or can they be found for cheaper? Would it be possible to buy a cheap one and replace it with a better fan?

Thanks!

--
Jerry
Old 2007-02-02, 8:38pm
Gentleman of Leisure

$300 is not unusual.... Actually that is probably quite cheap.

Here is one example of a hood that just meets basic ventilation requirements...

http://www.glasscraftinc.com/product...m?part_id=7157

One needs to upgrade flex duct that comes with this hood to smooth wall steel duct to make it more effective....

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2007-02-02 at 8:41pm.
Old 2007-02-03, 8:07am

I'm having one made locally. Granted it's an enclosure, not just the hood but the sheet metal guys are charging me $275 just to build the enclosure. I already shelled out $140 for the blower and that still leaves the ducting to buy and the installation.

HTH.

Old 2007-02-03, 8:43am
Formerly SirWatson

I bought a $130 kitchen range hood from Home Depot that has a 220 CFM fan. Once it's installed, I'll add steel baffles to both sides, which should be perfect for my studio.

I believe Mike and Dale say you should have 100 CFM per square foot of coverage, so with only 30" (2.5 feet) of open space, I think the 220 will do well. You can get a more powerful fan if you want to be extra safe. However, I'm on a tight budget and can't afford one of those 3000 CFM fans.

Good luck!

<><
Old 2007-02-03, 9:46am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirWatson View Post
I bought a $130 kitchen range hood from Home Depot that has a 220 CFM fan. Once it's installed, I'll add steel baffles to both sides, which should be perfect for my studio.

I believe Mike and Dale say you should have 100 CFM per square foot of coverage, so with only 30" (2.5 feet) of open space, I think the 220 will do well. You can get a more powerful fan if you want to be extra safe. However, I'm on a tight budget and can't afford one of those 3000 CFM fans.

Good luck!
Ummm... Not quite right.... Its the "width X depth" of hood opening, you are missing half the equation so you thinking that a 220cfm fan will do is wrong....

So if your hood is 30 x 18 inches that is 540 square inches, divide by 144 ( 1 square foot), that is 3.75 square feet. 3.75 sqft. X 100 cfm = 375 cfm... Your fan only provide about 66% of what is requires to meet minimal capacity (100cfm per square foot)

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2007-02-03 at 9:49am.
Old 2007-02-04, 10:32pm
Formerly SirWatson

Even with baffles on both sides and the back of the hood? It seems like overkill since I'll basically be working in a box. There's not even 375 cubic feet of air in my entire shed!

<><
Old 2007-02-05, 6:39am

I've always been really torn on the subject of where to get a hood. Instead of hodge podging it, I finally ordered one from a glass place.

It did arrive crinkled a bit and my husband had to flatten it to make it fit. By then he was thinking maybe he should have just made the hood or had it made locally (one of the options I had considered for a year). If I had it to do over again, I'd buy one from glass people and sooner than later.

There are no guarantees that glass people won't sell you something substandard, but in my mind the chances are much greater that they will have it right then I will.

Good luck deciding.
Old 2007-02-05, 8:36am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirWatson View Post
Even with baffles on both sides and the back of the hood? It seems like overkill since I'll basically be working in a box. There's not even 375 cubic feet of air in my entire shed!
Yes and no it's not. That's 3.75 cubic feet in your enclosure. I'm not an expert on this subject (just ask Vince, Mike, Bill or Dale) but you need to move that much air to make sure you're removing all the nitrogen oxides that are released from your torch.

I DID talk to one of my suppliers (and they've been in the biz for many MANY years ... like 30) and I feel very comfortable with the set up I currently have. However, we're supposed to be building a new home this years and my studio will be going to the basement. We don't know yet if it's going to be a daylight basement or a full basement but I want to make sure I have REAL ventilation in that space. Where I am now I get lots of "leakage" from the inside of the house, both doors (except for now when it's been in the subzero temps), and my pitiful little range hood.

I did notice yesterday that I was NOT getting enough air into the room because I'd blocked the airflow from the back door (I have to leave it open the put the return air ducting out ... NO LECTURES PLEASE) and had the door to the house shut. After I opened the door into the house It was much better. Which tells me the stoopid range hood is NOT doing a very good job of venting.

The sooner I can get the danged blower installed the better.

So no, a 495 cfm blower is not overkill.

Old 2007-03-16, 4:22pm
A Beadin' Path

I'm lost on how to measure for the proper size vent. Also, any ideas on how to "hide" it from nosy condo neighbors? I have my studio set-up in my screen porch. Are there alternate options until I have money to buy a hood? I have a door I can keep open and I can also remove one complete plexi from a window in front of torch area which will be about 30x40 open air. Please help.

DANIELLE

"WORRY looks around, SORRY looks back, FAITH looks up."