Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc.

Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc. -- Upcoming classes, retreats, special events, Get togethers. Please delete your thread when the event is over.

Old 2010-03-10, 12:06pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Default Latest info on HDGR

Hey guys,

In these tough times it is often hard to free up money for glass classes, travel, and other discretionary items. The more popular instructors are often many states away. Budgets are very tight and time is in short supply. Stress and worry is ever present. you NEED a break!

Let me tell you about a wonderful opportunity for this summer.

The High Desert Glass Retreat!

After going to AGI in Pennsylvania for several years I longed for a similar event on the left side of the country. My wishes were answered when my friend Ruth Nichols of Bend, Oregon and a regular on Lampwork Etc. decided to organize and put on such an event at her 3 acre 'ranch' in Bend. Not a week long AGI event but three days of fun, learning and story telling!

The event is shaping up to be a great weekend of glass, glass, companionship, learning and teaching.

Here are some of the particulars;
Date: June 25, 26 and 27, 2010, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday

Cost: $280.00 for all three days, classes, camping, and materials

Location: Ruth Nichols property outside of Bend, OR in the Oregon high desert.

Some of this years teachers are;

Rodger Child (Boro Dragon Pendants)

Jenny Newtson (TAG glass and how to get those colors to pop)

Otter (soft glass pendants)

Bonney Stowe (Soft glass animals)

Leslie Thiel (Bronze clay and lampworking tools) (she might be persuaded to show us her curved beads - pjh)

Lori Bonebrake (chainmaile and viking knit)

P J Hicks ( ventilation systems)

and more........

Some of the sponsors include;

Thompson Enamels

Frantz Art Glass

Winship/Glasscraft

Trautman Art Glass

Fluid Connector Products Inc. of Bend, OR

Weaver Industries

Nortel

More to come............

Facilities;

Three acres plus some parking on adjacent property

There are 10 RV 'dry' camping spots available - FREE reserve yours now!

There are 10 Tent camping spots available - FREE reserve yours now!

We are working on rates at close local motels.

There will be Porta Potties available

There will be washing facilities and a shower tent available

Water for camping chores will be provided

There will be a shuttle service from the Redmond airport available for a small charge but I bet a call to my cell or to Ruth would get you a free pickup!

There will be ample torch time on your own torch or one of the many Nortel torches provided.

Propane, Oxygen, and materials, etc. provided for classes but bring your own 'favorites' for 'play time'

Free lunch on Saturday - who keeps saying there's no such thing??

Friday night 'Hippy Dippy' '70's costume party

All this and more for a mere $280.00

Get more details on Lampwork Etc. or contact Ruth at r.nichols@mail.com to register. Get your spot NOW while there are still some openings!!

I'm signed up and I hope to see a bunch of you there.

PJ

Ruth - jump in here and correct any mistakes I may have made so folks get the best info.

Last edited by cheng076; 2010-03-10 at 12:09pm.
Old 2010-03-13, 11:05am
Living out Loud

Wish I lived nearby it sounds enticing!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-03-14, 12:21am

Also Avenue beads will also be sponsoring too. So we will have some of there awesome shards/frits to play with too.

Old 2010-03-25, 7:41pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

BUMP
Old 2010-03-31, 9:23pm
Critter Mom

I'm not actually "teaching", I'm just doing a little demo. Just want to make sure there's no misunderstanding.

Do you have any more information on the actual classes...like maybe a class schedule to post ?

Old 2010-04-01, 1:07am

I don't think we have got to the schedule part. We need people to sign up or this may not happen. So come one people this is going to be way fun and you can't beat the price. If you aren't a camper than there are hotels not far from Ruth. This is a awesome area and there is no bugs.

Old 2010-04-01, 5:43pm
Critter Mom

That's kinda why I'm asking about class details or a schedule. Maybe if there were some details about what's going to be taught more interest would be generated. I usually want to see what classes are on what days/hours, how long the class is, etc. before I commit to attending. I definitely want to know how many classes I'll be allowed to take for the price of admission...two 4 hours class, with who, teaching what, etc.

Old 2010-04-04, 8:09pm

Ditto to what Bonnie said. I did make a leap of faith and sign up, but I totally agree that more details would be helpful and prob generate more paid interest.
Old 2010-04-05, 10:18am
Curmudgeon Engineering

I'm signed up and am a volunteer safety/questions guy as well as being in charge of taking care of vendors and non-participant partners.

I will be doing a talk on studio ventilation and hope to be able to answer questions from both newbies and old timers. I will also give a short talk on how partners can get/be involved to support their partners glass hobby. If there is interest I might be talked into some fly tying and fly casting demo/instruction as a sidelight. These will be sandwiched into the regular glass schedule as time and people are available.

Ruth and Nate are working very hard to prepare the grounds and facilities so campsites are level and shelter/space is adequate.

PJ
Old 2010-04-18, 8:31pm
In spite of it all!

Sorry it took so long to get to this thread. We just this week completed all the ground work and it is looking pretty sharp! Two of the event structures are up and nearly ready. The 3rd is slated to be completed by the end of the month.

Each HDGR participant will get to see each teacher demonstrate. No one will miss out unless they choose to do something else. Directly after each demo/instruction... students will be on their own torch with the teacher in attendance to help them put into practice what they learned during the instruction.

Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us. ~ Stephen Covey

Last edited by Ruth Nichols; 2010-04-18 at 8:34pm.
Old 2010-05-01, 10:35am

This should be fun! You don't have to choose your favorite classes--you can see them all then immediately get a chance to practice while the demonstrator is there to help. I encourage people within a few hrs of Bend to really consider this. (And anyone else too, but those within easy driving distance will pay less to get there.)
Old 2010-05-12, 9:14am
In spite of it all!

The HDGR has been canceled. Those that have paid the fee please send an email to r.nichols@mail.com There was a lot of interest for camp but not enough people that could afford the event. So, we have decided to cancel it for this year. Sadly, I am not a dealer of any kind and can not afford the amount on my own that it would take to put on a big thing like this. Maybe it would be great to see you all at the Frantz Bash in August? It was great fun the last few years and I am sure it will be again this year.

Please let all the other folks where you posted about HDGR know that camp has been canceled. We may however be having a small bring your own everything camp out... limited to 30 people/campers. NO FEE unless you want a rented porta potty.... then we would need a donation so we can cover that cost. It will just be a low key thing with dry camping. Water is available but electric is on your own. Glass will be something that is always welcome! Anyway.... it can be the same weekend.... cause we did A LOT to get ready for it.

Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us. ~ Stephen Covey

Old 2010-05-12, 11:11am
Torch junkie

It is all very unfortunate that this event has been or may be canceled. I was and still am looking forward to this event and it all sounds like a lot of fun. Ruth has mentioned a small camp out get together event on the same weekend and I would still be more than happy to show up and participate. I would be willing to teach how I make my dragons, some sculpture techniques and show you anything else that I know, both in soft glass and boro. I think this is a great way for others to share their knowledge and play with some glass. Now who wouldn't want to do that? Lets get excited people!

Oh and if you haven't seen one of my dragons, here's one to give you an idea.

"It's not the torch you have that makes you better. It's what you learn to do with the torch you have, that makes you better."
Old 2010-05-12, 3:34pm

I so want to go if the doctors say it is OK. That is the biggest problem OK let me know please.

Rose Leslie
Old 2010-05-12, 4:42pm
In spite of it all!

I hope you get through it all in great shape Rose! Don't worry about camp or any of that. You just worry about getting healthy!

Old 2010-05-12, 7:25pm
Torch junkie

Ok folks, I see you checking out this thread and I know you want to do this. I'm not sure exactly what the other instructors have planned for this, but if boro dragons aren't your thing? I also work in soft glass and would be happy to show you how to make things like this fish.

or maybe some parrots like this...

If you are interested in trying out different torches? I have a few and would be happy to bring them, you could try the minni cc's, the Hellcat, a couple of national 3A's, a GTT Lynx and if you really want to play with some fire I would even let you try the big Carlisle CC.

If this isn't exciting enough for you? I'll even make my dad give free rides in the Smart Car.

Now go get in touch with Ruth and let her know you want to be part of a good thing!

And Rose, you worry about getting healthy!

"It's not the torch you have that makes you better. It's what you learn to do with the torch you have, that makes you better."
Old 2010-05-12, 9:31pm

Roger, I LOVE your work and was looking forward to the dragons. Now with the fish & parrot also, who could say "no"? If there is still a get-together I'll go! Smart car is cute, but the critters are gorgeous! What kind of fishie is it (besides glass?)
Old 2010-05-13, 8:54am
Torch junkie

Elyn, I guess it's a fish of my imagination. or I suppose it could be some sort of tropical fish. Even a small get together would be great! Let's keep in touch with Ruth and let her know that all of her efforts toward this haven't been wasted.

Old 2010-05-27, 8:08am
In spite of it all!

HDGR is now (for this this year only) canceled. I recieved a lot of emails saying that folks want to come but it is just impossible for them this year. I understand completely and really sympathize with money issues.... as I have some of my own but was planing to stick with what I had originally started and planed. I had gotten one email telling me that I was a quitter but they did not see all the other emails telling me that they would love to come next year if things improve out there. I agree... we need to be comfortable with our home environment if we want to be comfortable is travel and extra activities. To those that are having struggles... I can relate and send all my positive thoughts and vibes for your soon to be improved and happy future. To those that still have it comfortable... see what you can do to help someone today breath just a tiny bit easier. It will do your heart a lot of good and make someone else just a little more hopeful. After all, we need all the positive vibes this world can get right now.

Hugs & Luv to Everyone!

Ruth