Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-11-11, 7:54pm

Default Implosions

So lets see if I can explain what I am thinking and correct me if I am wrong. I am trying to wrap my head around one concept of imploding flowers. If I want lets say four wide petals like a poppy around a black centre dot I would put the lines of red for the petals towards the outside edge of the flattened round disk and as it is melted it stretches out to form wide petals. I will try this sometime this weekend but I was just brain storming and thought I would throw it out there. Am I on the right track or not.
Old 2010-11-11, 8:03pm
It's about having fun!

I can't even figure out what an implosion is or what it means... yep, silly newbie!
Old 2010-11-12, 1:04am

sounds like you are on the right track
put 4 red lines insjde the edge of the maria following its roind shape ( like 4 arcs)
start imploding
then put your black dots in the center and finish the implosion

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-11-12, 6:28am
Hobby Junkie

Yep, you've got the idea! Implosions are one of those things that you learn best by trial and error. You learn what colors work, what shape petals work, you poke the lines, crease the lines, and learn as you go.

If you even get a chance, take a class with John Kobuki. He is a master at floral implosions and is an awesome instructor! My skills increase tenfold after a class with John.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-11-12, 8:38am

I would love to take a course from him (its on my wish list). The point of putting the dots on after imploding a bit sounds interesting. Hmm beginner lesson today maybe I can sneak one in tonight. Thanks.
Old 2010-11-12, 8:51am
Pyromaniac

Here's a thread I remembered from the Melting pot that shows some designs:

http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showt...losion+designs

And an LE Post:

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showpo...8&postcount=41

Also on Brent's site you can see him doing a floral implosion here:

http://www.brentgraber.com/pages/VIDEOLIBRARY.php

If you want to try some other ideas for boro implosions get Cosmo's Tutorial and/or Brent's DVD. They are both fantastic.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Last edited by ginkgoglass; 2010-11-12 at 9:04am.
Old 2010-11-12, 11:19am

Also, I recommend Cosmo's tutorial... Great for learning that plus others
Old 2010-11-13, 11:21am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Round dots implode to elongated teardrop shapes.

Straight lines implode to flat petals.

Arcs or curved lines implode to 'cupped' petals.

Creases cause the petals to have 'wavy' top edges.

Pick indents cause little spurs to form on the petal edges. If covered to trap the air a bubble will form on the petal like a rain drop.

Lines and dots placed closer to the maria's edge will end up 'below' lines/dots nearer the center.

By placing the center dot after the implosion has progressed somewhat the center dot will appear to be 'down' inside the petals.

Target type multi layered stringers make petals with colored edges different from the petal center. Try 3 or 4 layers.

Twisty stringers make striated or stripped petals.

Adding a second dot to one side or the other of a petal dot will make a 'stronger' petal center color (be sure to catch both the dot/line and the maria glass with the second dot).

The distance between dot/line placement and the maria center will determine the 'hieght' of the petals/leaves in the final result.

HTH, PJH

Last edited by cheng076; 2010-11-13 at 11:24am.
Old 2010-11-13, 11:44am
Surrounded by Trouble

Cheng,

If we had rep point here you would get all of mine.

Awesome information and explanation of different implosion techniques.

Old 2010-11-13, 5:47pm

Wow that is going to take me a week to explore all of that, when I should be making blown christmas ornaments. Oh well the blowing didn't go so well today anyways I think I will focus on implosions tomorrow. Thanks so much for sharing.
Old 2010-11-13, 7:02pm
Borovangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn T View Post
Cheng,

If we had rep point here you would get all of mine.

Awesome information and explanation of different implosion techniques.
Ditto on that one.

|
|
Old 2010-11-13, 9:31pm
Never give up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangell View Post
Also, I recommend Cosmo's tutorial... Great for learning that plus others
Call me stupid but who is Cosmo's and where is his tutorial?
Old 2010-11-13, 11:04pm
Surrounded by Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelady View Post
Call me stupid but who is Cosmo's and where is his tutorial?
Cosmo is a member of the forum he has written 3 wonderful books, they are available in hard copy as well as PDF download.

Here is a link to his website were you can purchase them: http://www.cosmoglassworks.com/publications.html

Old 2010-11-14, 2:31pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Let me direct all you aspiring implosion makers to a website where you can see some really great implosions and the various designs John Kabuki gets. He is the Master of Implosions
http://www.pbase.com/bkbowden/kobukisale
Old 2010-11-14, 3:13pm
Somebody's watching me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn T View Post
Cosmo is a member of the forum he has written 3 wonderful books, they are available in hard copy as well as PDF download.

Here is a link to his website were you can purchase them: http://www.cosmoglassworks.com/publications.html
Cosmos has great books. I own all 3. He may or may not have a sweet deal on all 3 right now. He did a few weeks ago. Real nice guy and contributes quite a bit to this forum.

Old 2010-11-14, 3:39pm
Somebody's watching me!

also, be prepared to have a bowl ready for dozens of "special lessons" I have ton's of "special lessons" lying around. they are priceless for the lessons annnnd laughs!

Old 2010-11-14, 5:25pm

Well I was so excited to practice today I got up a five (too early) out into studio at eight. Got distracted burnt my finger really bad at 8:30. Swore then carried on and had a wonderful day. I will post pictures tomorrow. Thanks again cheng076 was a great day.
Old 2010-11-14, 6:19pm
Never give up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng076 View Post
Let me direct all you aspiring implosion makers to a website where you can see some really great implosions and the various designs John Kabuki gets. He is the Master of Implosions
http://www.pbase.com/bkbowden/kobukisale
Thanks for showing me this link, and you are right. He is the Master. Just beautiful. I just wish someone the master of softglass would write a book. Not sure who that is , but would love to find out.
Old 2010-11-14, 7:08pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

cakelady,
While John works in boro all those designs can be done in soft glass..... not by me mind you as I suck at soft glass worse than in boro.... but it is possible. I've seen DanG show some truely great implosions. you know the drill....PPP
PJ
Old 2010-11-16, 12:17pm
ManBearPig

Here's a video of me making a flower marble. Not the best video, and I'm sure there are better ones out there, but this is the only one I can find at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsjErD8bwCw

Hopefully you can pick up a tip or two from it. I'm working on proper videos for an online class that will show it in greater detail. I hope to have those done early next year.

*Disclaimer - I had no idea I had such a thick southern accent. You have been warned...

Old 2010-11-16, 8:47pm

Ok here are some pics of the implosions that everyone so generously helped out. I not only got help from this forum but countless youtube videos and a fellow marcel(from the netherlands I think). Thanks everyone. The pics aren't clear but I think you will get the idea.
Attached Images

Old 2010-11-16, 8:49pm

A few more
Attached Images

Old 2010-11-16, 9:06pm

Nice work Deb !! The first one is top notch, what colors did you use?
Old 2010-11-16, 9:50pm

That is white that I encased some dark cobalt blue two layers of blue I think. I love it too.
Old 2010-11-16, 10:15pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Very nice. very nice. The colors in the 2 blue ones is superb. Are you using boro? The implosions are working really well for you and if that is yellow boro you did a hell of a job. The crayon colors are very hard for new boro people to work. Congrats
PJH
Old 2010-11-16, 10:43pm

Yup its boro and I founds something very curious about working with egyptian white I punty up to it then heated it up slowly it bubbled for awhile then the bubbles went away, I then pulled out for use and it didn't bubble much after this. Is that what some one said about working the color before using. Is white the only one? The yellow I didn't have to do that to.
Old 2010-11-16, 11:17pm

Your colors looked purple to me, which inspired me to try dark plum over sno white its in the kiln now. I will have to try the cobalt next.
Old 2010-11-17, 10:22am

Quick (sorry kinda blurry) pic of the dark plum over sno white, I think it needs maybe two layers of plum, I was hoping for more purple

Old 2010-11-17, 11:02am

That is still purtty.
Old 2010-11-17, 9:46pm

Another one.
Attached Images