Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2013-07-30, 7:58am

Default grayscale for background

I haven't been on LE in literally years but it looks like there are some great new things going on!!

Does anyone have (or is there a link to) a good grayscale to use for background in bead photos? We just started on etsy & need larger photos which are not coming out well now.

To me LE has always been the place to come when I need help. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Bette
BC LAMPWORK
Old 2013-07-30, 9:12am
Glass Addict

Amazon.com has great pvc grayscale backgrounds at a good prices!! I've bought all 4 of my backgrounds from them

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-07-30, 10:43am
Chief Creative Goddess

Hey Joy! Can you add the link or manufacturer? I could easily get lost trying to find it--I'll end up with 12 other items before I remember what I was looking for in the first place!
Thanks!!

Old 2013-07-30, 11:48am
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

If you have a good printer and matte photo paper, you can print it also.

https://www.google.com/search?newwin...mg.ycTMObSQSEc

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2013-07-30, 11:55am
Glass Addict

Here are some of the products I bought from amazon for my photo setup for etsy and magazine publication shots:

http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Platin...ref=pd_sim_p_6

http://www.amazon.com/Adorama-Vinyl-...ref=pd_sim_p_4

http://www.amazon.com/Vanguard-VS-82...ef=pd_sim_p_16

Old 2013-07-30, 1:11pm
Chief Creative Goddess

Judith and Joy--Thank you both!!

Old 2013-07-30, 5:06pm

I did purchase this photo booth setup from Amazon SP200 Photo Studio In a Box

But there isn't a good gray scale background with it.

Thanks to everyone for their help thus far.

Bette
BC LAMPWORK
Old 2013-07-31, 1:53am
Alaska Boro

B&H Photo has all sorts of colored paper backgrounds in a variety of widths/lenghts.
Old 2013-08-04, 6:40am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska View Post
B&H Photo has all sorts of colored paper backgrounds in a variety of widths/lenghts.
THANKS I'll check there.
Is this a color you've used?
If not what would you suggest.
Bette
Old 2013-08-04, 6:49am

I did look at B&H but couldn't find a single sheet.
They do have a great variety but mostly by 12 yards.
Old 2013-08-04, 7:59am

If you do a google search on "photography background graduated black to white" or "graduated Flotone", you will get a lot of examples. Some of them are not cheap but if nothing else it will give you an idea of what words to use to narrow down your search.

Here are some example:

http://www.amazon.com/office-products/dp/B001AIM8YW
http://www.zazzle.com/graduated_blac...95615928978456
http://store.tabletopstudio-store.com/clacri.html
http://phototechinc.com/graduate.htm
http://www.adorama.com/BMG609.html?g...FaY-MgodG0sAkw
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...sl_kpl6jelg1_b
Old 2013-08-04, 12:16pm
I'm meeeeelting

Any recommendations regarding size of gradient background for focals, sets and jewelry pieces? It seems like if it's too big, you won't get much of the range showing.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2013-08-04, 7:46pm

It's available for light tent size, which should be a good size for jewelry. I've seen it in smaller sizes but I can't remember were and if it was paper or mylar or some other type of plastic. I saw it in passing while looking for other things. I do that a lot, I'll remember I saw something but not the details.

Mike
Old 2013-08-05, 6:53am
Addicted to Melting Glass

I took one of those gradient files to my local printer and had him print it out on banner vinyl at a fraction of the cost of that one on Amazon. It doesn't need to be very big.

Old 2013-08-05, 11:12am

These Vinyl ones are a bit cheaper, and fit the photo tents.
http://store.tabletopstudio-store.com/clacri.html

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2013-08-05, 11:12am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Lakinsmith View Post
I took one of those gradient files to my local printer and had him print it out on banner vinyl at a fraction of the cost of that one on Amazon. It doesn't need to be very big.
Great tip, thanks Patty!!!!

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2013-08-05, 11:31am
Addicted to Melting Glass

Mmmm, chocolate truffle. Those look yummy!

Old 2013-08-05, 1:52pm
I'm meeeeelting

Thanks for the suggestions and links.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Old 2013-08-12, 11:23pm
Missing presumed fed

By the way, if anyone wants to try Patty's trick of having a background printed on a vinyl banner, Vistaprint is having a 50% off sale that includes banners. Small banners are $7.99 (that's the sale price).

I have no idea what the quality of the banners is, so I can't tell you if it will work out or not -- but I thought I'd pass the word in case anyone felt like giving it a try.
Old 2013-08-13, 9:04am
I'm meeeeelting

Great idea. I've found a couple grayscale pics that I tried to save and upload and it keeps telling me they're too low def. If anyone comes across a good pic, please let me know.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Old 2013-08-14, 7:59am
Dix Harrison

I make my own gradient photo sweeps using MS Word.
I print them on 8.5 x 11 light cardstock and I am very happy with them.

-Open a new MS Word document.
-Set margins at .5" all around page.
-Draw a large rectangle that fits the margins.
-Fill the shape with a two-color gradient (white to black, or gray to black, or blue to gray, etc.) by selecting the correct settings for color and fill shape.
-Preview print
-Print

These color settings are infinitely adjustble.
I also love the way you can custom match your beads or glass.

Just an idea if you are strapped for cash or want to experiment.
Old 2013-08-14, 12:45pm
Lampworkaholic!

I downloaded a gradient jpeg, uploaded it to Walmart and ordered an 11x14" poster print with a matte photo finish for same day pickup.

I was a little disappointed when I picked it up because it was rolled up. A night under some heavy books helped sort that, but it has a scratch.

The investment was small for the experiment, $6 and change. It fits in my light box/tent. Now I'm trying to figure out whether to shoot straight down into the box or from the side. Lay the bead flat or prop it up. Two lights or three.

So many decisions!

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-08-14, 1:30pm
I'm meeeeelting

Dix, how do you get the two-color gradient? Thanks.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Old 2013-08-19, 12:51pm
Missing presumed fed

Do you have any sort of graphics program? I used Photoshop Elements to make mine. If you don't have one, you can download GIMP for free. It's a free photo-editing and image creating program that has a good reputation. I'm not a GIMP user, so I can't walk you through the steps to creating a gradient myself. If you Google for "creating a gradient background in GIMP," or something like that, you'll find a bunch of tutorials. It's a pretty simple process, since you're just going from black to white. Once you make the gradient, you save it as an image file and print it or upload it to somewhere else to print.
Old 2013-08-19, 5:01pm
I'm meeeeelting

I have Photoshop Elements, although I don't know how to do half the things it can do. I'll see if I can figure it out. Thanks!

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Old 2013-08-19, 5:08pm

I uploaded a gradient and ordered a small banner from Staples.com....$4.99 special free shipping!! It should be here tomorrow, so I will let everyone know what I think when I receive it. Great Deal anyhow!

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-08-20, 2:15pm

Marking. I don't have any more links for you but am interested in seeing what your print looks like!

Heidi

~~
~~