LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2009-06-12, 7:57am

Good for you for doing it yourself, Celeste! Sounds like Dale's ideas worked out nicely for you. How interesting that the flame dissappeared on you when you put something white behind it. The HH flame was so clear in the pics in the thread I mentioned, and I'm sure it must work for that artist. Maybe going back to Ed's suggestion of something dark/matte, as you note, and re-trying Navarre's suggestion of changing up your lighting will get you the right combination, now that you can look more perpendicular to the flame.

Good Luck!
Linda
Old 2009-06-12, 8:19am
I practice alchemy!

Maybe the camera sees the flame better than we do...because that flame was really obvious. Maybe the gas is turned up higher than I turn it--that makes a big difference in flame visibility. Visibility sometimes translates itself into burnt beads and I tend to work with colors that burn easily...Except for pea green and periwinkle. I love working with them. They melt nicely, shape nicely, and never burn.

Here's another thought--I despise driving at sunset because I can't see well then. Maybe torching with the didy lenses is a similar deal for me and it won't improve until I get a different sort of safety glasses.

I can't change my lighting without huge expense, so I'm just going to have to live with it. I was going to say maybe I should get a task light, but remembering how that flame just disappeared over white, I don't think that would work too well. I can see on cloudy days, I really think it is a contrast thing.

I'm going to have to take a picture of my torch and mount because it looks nothing like any of the ones I've seen pictures of. I think the piece I bolted to the top of my "L" bracket is a flange. I'm off to get pipe clamps today...More strange looks...The man yesterday was really helpful, but he had a really difficult time wrapping his mind around the concept of stationary torch to melt glass.

Celeste