LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2009-09-18, 3:41am

Linda I have the one pound cannisters I can use but I go through them pretty quickly. I will be looking into to piping and fittings over the next couple days. So am I correct in that the piping would make the hh safer than the hose? I know a hh does not require a regulator to run but I am assuming if I am going to upgrade eventually to a surface mix when I do the piping I should have the regulator added anway? I do apologize for all of the questions, I have read as much as I can find in the forums and a lot of the info is confusing to say the least.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-09-18, 6:59am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
On point I agree with "laserglass"......

NO quick disconnects and no high pressure plumbing indoors....

A hose on a HH to bulk tank is to be treated as "temporary' and should be disconnected and taken out when done.......

If the aspects of a HH on long hose and having to take it down when not in use bothers you, then you are better off with fuel/oxygen torch as others have stated....

Dale
Who said anything about a quick disconnect in the house? I said 'near' the house so she wouldn't have to pull the full 24' of bled off hose or disconnect and move the torch every time she stops working. She's working through the basement window.
Old 2009-09-18, 8:47am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRiverJewelry View Post
Linda I have the one pound cannisters I can use but I go through them pretty quickly.
If you want to keep torching while you research, the safest thing to do is to continue using the 1lb canisters, even though they run out quickly. Think of it as a temporary condition until you decide how to best improve your studio.

Quote:
I will be looking into to piping and fittings over the next couple days. So am I correct in that the piping would make the hh safer than the hose? I know a hh does not require a regulator to run but I am assuming if I am going to upgrade eventually to a surface mix when I do the piping I should have the regulator added anway?
So long as the parts and materials chosen are within the typical pressure ratings of tanked propane, I would assume that hard piping would be safer than a pre-manufactured, recreational hose product. You can add regulators to your set-up later if you plan for it. If you really want to do this, however, be sure you consider Mark's inputs and photos, Dale's inputs, and research this really well - be sure you have the right pressure-rated gas shut-off's not only outside your building, but also inside where you can get to them quickly in an emergency.

That said, and like Mark, I'm not comfortable recommending you do anything other than use the 1lb canisters with your HH. Since you don't have a walk-out basement, I suspect that if you ever had a major leak running high pressure propane into your basement (say, you don't tighten a fitting enough, or your HH fails....you could have lots of propane pump in really fast....), you could have a horrible time trying to get that propane out again, and would have a dangerous combustible situation until you did. And, propane being so much heavier than air, it's not that easy to get it out of a low, enclosed space like a basement.

Quote:
I do apologize for all of the questions, I have read as much as I can find in the forums and a lot of the info is confusing to say the least.
No need to appologize, and keep asking! It's good that you're trying to do your own research and asking how to be safe. As you research, especially on this and other forums, it might be helpful to keep a given discussion thread in its own context: a lampworker working on a HH outside will naturally have different issues, for example, as will someone working on a surface-mix torch.

Linda

Last edited by NMLinda; 2009-09-18 at 8:47am. Reason: missing bracket
Old 2009-09-18, 3:40pm

Linda, I am seriously considering cleaning out the garage and making a space there. No electric but It can't be that hard to run the wiring for that. I will be looking into all of my options and then I will decide what I want to do.

Old 2009-09-18, 4:45pm

Wiring the garage isn't hard, but you may have to put up wallboard where you run it or run it in conduit (check your local building codes). You'll still need to keep your propane tank outside but you'll have the significant advantage of being able to expell any propane, should you have a leak, far more easily.

Linda
Old 2009-09-18, 4:52pm

It would be much easier in the garage. Would need to wire everything so I can have a space heater in there but it could work. And it would be much easier to vent properly etc. Hmmm will have to see what I can do. First have to clean it out though. That will be the hardest part lol!

Old 2009-09-18, 7:11pm

Yep, I think running electrical and putting in a good vent system in the garage is way easier than cleaning.....and more fun!

Linda
Old 2009-09-18, 7:26pm

Especially since it isn't my mess lol!