LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-01-11, 3:44pm
birdergirl ~o~

Lightbulb Cool new torch lighting tool!!

It's a pipe/cigar lighter-Cost - $3.99, wind resistant, refillable butane, sturdy metal encased, with a lifetime guarantee and a fierce tiny flame in a cute "pipe" shape!! I found it at my local Rite Aid drug store with the disposible plastic lighters- maybe found at a smoke shop too. I wouldn't keep it "on" the torch bench of course!
Hope this is D & M approved!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~

Last edited by cadia; 2007-01-11 at 3:59pm. Reason: edit
Old 2007-01-11, 3:55pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Butane lighters on your torch bench is like having a bomb ready to go off when you least expect it...

Only "safe" torch lighters are a "sparker" like welders use or a pizo electric ( electric spark) lighter... Neither contain flammable fuel that can explode and cause yoiu harm.

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2007-01-11 at 3:57pm.
Old 2007-01-11, 4:12pm
Satake Woman!

I would be especially wary since it has a plastic body. A hot piece of glass landing on that and it might go BOOM.

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2007-01-11, 4:12pm

What's wrong with a wooden kitchen match?
Joan
Old 2007-01-11, 4:14pm
Safety ALWAYS

I'd put it up high where you can reach it, but you can't get hot glass on it.

As Dale mentions, they are bombs if hit by hot glass. The ad says metal case, but I'd question that -- I'd bet there is plastic on it somewhere, and you KNOW that's exactly where the piece of flying hot glass will land when you least expect it.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2007-01-11, 4:16pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by papimom View Post
What's wrong with a wooden kitchen match?
Joan

Where do you keep box of matches when working at torch?

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-01-11, 4:19pm
Safety ALWAYS

Kitchen matches (or even paper matches) should be kept away from the immediate area of the workstation.

The only safe lighters that can be kept in the immediate area of the workstation are spark lighters or piezo lighters.

Anything else has the potential to either explode or ignite (ever seen a box full of wooden matches ignite all at the same time?).

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2007-01-11, 4:21pm
birdergirl ~o~

Default "sturdy metal encased"

NOT plastic! "sturdy metal encased" (!!!) That is my hand in the pics! There is no plastic to be seen anywhere on the exterior of the lighter. But thank~you your warnings are appreciated.
I don't like the sparkers because I panic as the gas hisses out while I squeeze and squeeze the welders sparker, burnt matches end up all over my bench making a mess. Plus once I lite the torch all my attention is on that and I momentarily forget to blow the match out. ouch!

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Last edited by cadia; 2007-01-11 at 4:32pm. Reason: edit
Old 2007-01-11, 4:33pm
birdergirl ~o~

What is a piezo lighter?

Old 2007-01-11, 4:53pm
Safety ALWAYS

A piezo lighter uses a quartz crystal, sliced very thin. When the crystal is flexed, it creates an electric charge which is routed between two pieces of metal, creating a spark, which ignites the propane or natural gas.

There are several types of these available, there are also battery operated sparkers - I've seen them for the Mini-hand torch used by some jewelers. They operate on a 9 volt battery.

Old 2007-01-11, 6:23pm
Scientific Glass Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
Butane lighters on your torch bench is like having a bomb ready to go off when you least expect it...

Only "safe" torch lighters are a "sparker" like welders use or a pizo electric ( electric spark) lighter... Neither contain flammable fuel that can explode and cause yoiu harm.

Dale
yay i have another anti-butane lighter friend! butane is bad news on a workbench.

Old 2007-01-11, 8:23pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlivELampworK View Post
yay i have another anti-butane lighter friend! butane is bad news on a workbench.

You have more than one! I think most people would become comfortable with a striker if they would persist in using it and becoming more proficient with it.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-01-12, 6:02am

Most of us know butane lighters are bad. I think it is good to continue to make reminders. This is such a little thing and so likely to cause a problem newbies should see it.

I on the other hand use one. I doubt I'll change. It is that or don't torch when my arthritis is bothering me.
Old 2007-01-12, 7:35am
Fight glass with FIRE

I'd be less worried about gas hissing out for 5 seconds then a butane lighter. Here in most factories you get fired right away if you are caught lighting a cutting torch with a lighter other than a spark lighter.

I've seen real life pictures of what happenes when they explode and they will litteraly take a leg or arm off!

Unless you feel like playing with you own life then I would just use a spark lighter.

Emmanuel Germain
Old 2007-01-12, 7:46am
Safety ALWAYS

Ah, but the point she is trying to make is that when her arthritis flares up, she does not have the hand strength to use a spark lighter. I have arthritis in my hand as well, and there are times when it just plain HURTS to squeeze that sucker.

On days like that I break out the matches, or use the battery powered sparker.

Old 2007-01-12, 8:17am
Scientific Glass Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by meister1981 View Post
I'd be less worried about gas hissing out for 5 seconds then a butane lighter. Here in most factories you get fired right away if you are caught lighting a cutting torch with a lighter other than a spark lighter.

I've seen real life pictures of what happenes when they explode and they will litteraly take a leg or arm off!

Unless you feel like playing with you own life then I would just use a spark lighter.
i've heard alot of scientific glass shops will do the same thing if you're caught with a lighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
Ah, but the point she is trying to make is that when her arthritis flares up, she does not have the hand strength to use a spark lighter. I have arthritis in my hand as well, and there are times when it just plain HURTS to squeeze that sucker.

On days like that I break out the matches, or use the battery powered sparker.
definitely. matches are better than butane.

Old 2007-01-12, 8:49am

If you can't use a striker due to arthritis, then use something that's doesn't have the potential to explode in your hand. I may be a newbie, but thanks to people like Mike I understand all the implications of needing to be SAFE when doing this. Here's a link to the battery operated spark lighter:

http://www.glasscraftinc.com/product...m?part_id=6971

and here's another one that isn't glass-specific but would work and is a lot cheaper:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...6-20/ref=nosim

Money shouldn't be an object - we spend so much on our torches, oxy and propane, glass, and (hopefully) ventilation that these are a small price to pay to increase the probability that you won't have an accident.

-Diane
Old 2007-01-12, 8:55am
Safety ALWAYS

My battery igniter is very similar to the one in the Glasscraft link and I love it on "those" days......

Old 2007-01-12, 9:17am
The Andrea Half

I do use matches--but after I light my torch I put the matches in a metal Altoids box, which then goes in the drawer. Color me anal; I've never been able to use a striker successfully, but I won't have a butane lighter anywhere near where hot glass could pop.

Old 2007-01-12, 10:02am
Safety ALWAYS

What color is.......nevermind. Wrong forum

Old 2007-01-12, 11:38am

I can tell you from personal experience, that torches and butane lighters do NOT mix. I work with fairly large pieces of silver and large flames on some of my jewelry pieces. I kept a lighter on the counter above my soldering bench and one day when I was soldering, the flame was being diverted by the silver sheet in just the right way to direct the heat to the lighter. All I remember was a super quick fireball and then I had no eyebrows and the front of my hair was singed off. Luckily no serious injuries, but not something I want to take the chance with again.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2007-01-12, 12:58pm

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarus View Post
Money shouldn't be an object - we spend so much on our torches, oxy and propane, glass, and (hopefully) ventilation that these are a small price to pay to increase the probability that you won't have an accident.

-Diane
This is what my husband would say...me too...

J.
"Hatred is never ended by hatred but by love, and a misunderstanding is never ended by argument but by tact, diplomacy, conciliation, and a sympathetic desire to see the other person's viewpoint." ~The Buddha | “We are all humans and none of us is more human than the other.” Romeo Dallaire "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up." ~ Rev.Jesse Jackson]
Old 2007-01-12, 2:55pm
novembersfyre everywhere

I have used a striker from day one. I was quite uncomfortable with it at first. I don't even think twice about it now. It might be easier for me because I use natural gas so my gas pressure is lower.

I often take classes at Glasscraft and I use a striker there also. Again, the first few times I use it I am uncomfortable but once I'm used to adjusting for the higher pressure I have no problem.

Better to be uncomfortable than a burn victim

Old 2007-01-12, 3:10pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

If anyone is having trouble using a striker, I suggest you shop around for a different model of one. I have two and one of them works great and the other makes me crazy.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2007-01-12, 5:05pm
Gina

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribeads View Post
If anyone is having trouble using a striker, I suggest you shop around for a different model of one. I have two and one of them works great and the other makes me crazy.

I totally agree! The strikers at my art school are the absolute WORST! I went to the local hardware store right after class and got a brand new striker, different brand, and MAN OH MAN does that thing spark with the slightest flick of the wrist!
Old 2007-01-12, 5:14pm
Safety ALWAYS

One thing that can cause strikers to be hard to use is that the flint is worn down to a nub and the "file" is hitting the aluminum flint housing.

Flints usually come in packs of 5 or 10 and it's a good idea to check your flint from time to time and replace them when its almost gone.

Old 2007-01-12, 5:36pm
Scientific Glass Girl

anyone who doesn't have a striker they're comfortable with...PM me. shawn t sent me lots of extras she had and they're golden. i want people to be safe.

Old 2007-01-12, 5:47pm
birdergirl ~o~

Ali!
I'd love one and I'd promise only to use my cool lighter for my Bong!!
Sally

Old 2007-01-16, 10:18am
Spinning sand

Wait!! Send me the bong and I'll promise to only light my torch with one of Ali's strikers. Much better!
Old 2007-01-16, 10:28am
birdergirl ~o~

This sounds suspiciously like a trick _ I'm not going to fall for that one "again" LOL!!