Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-10-15, 8:09pm

Default How do you keep from freezing?

How do you keep from freezing to death in the winter when you live in a climate that gets below zero at times? I will be using a cracked window for makeup air and just wondered if there's something I'm missing since I'm thinking it will get really cold especially since the exhaust system will be pulling warm out as well. This is all so very new to me and have learned a lot from reading different postings. Thanks!
Old 2007-10-15, 8:10pm

Multiple layers of clothing and a space heater on my legs, when the temp gets extreme.

Of course, by then the propane's cold and irritable, so I may as well be curled in bed with a cat and a book.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2007-10-15, 8:27pm

Thanks Nikki. I was hoping there was something I was missing and would be told "oh silly you, you just have to...." I guess I'll be curled up in bed with a good book too (minus the cat) LOL. Thanks!
Old 2007-10-15, 10:02pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

That's when you make plans to visit all your lampworking
friends in warmer climates.....

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2007-10-15, 10:02pm

(It may be "you just have to...move...")

~:
~:

~:

Old 2007-10-16, 3:40am
Cherine Perrin Glass

I do what Nikki does too. I have a propane heater under my bench aimed at my legs(that really helps). I wear 2 shirts with a down vest, gloves with the fingertips cut off and earmuffs. Always making frequent trips into the house to warm up.

My Etsy shop: https://
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/
Old 2007-10-16, 5:17am
Borovangelist

There might be other threads about the subject here, but here's one suggestion that was made to me....
Reduce the amount of air that needs to be pulled from the room. If you're working with a hood and can duct your makup air onto the bench, then only the air in that area needs to be evacuated, relieving the pressure on the rest of the room, meaning more heat's left with you.

Last winter I had an attic fan in the wall pulling the contents of the room out and chilling me to the bone. This year I have a hood and a makeup air duct under it so it creates a curtain of moving air, in theory leaving the rest of the room a little more comfy. Ask me again in a couple of months. If I still have all my fingers I'll write back

Oh, and I put up insulation in the walls of my shed studio to help buffer the wind.
Old 2007-10-16, 5:51am

Don't forget mental attitude! I'm in Maine and you burn more calories to keep warm when you're cold.

um, yeah, I believe that- right down to my frozen toe tips! lol

(multiple layers of clothing works, too... )

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2007-10-16, 6:52am

I built an intake duct into my work bench and draw most of my makeup air directly from outdoors. There is an in-line fan in the make up duct to encourage the correct air flow. There still has to be some draw from the room, but this really helps cut down on the heat/AC bills when I work at the torch.

Robert
Old 2007-10-16, 7:08am
SCIENCE Teacher!

ummm, what's "zero" ? this year we have had a record number of days over 110. Never heard of this zero thing.
Old 2007-10-16, 7:32am
Gentleman of Leisure

I think ZERO has something to to do with bank accounts...

Bank keeps using that word about mine....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-10-16, 7:37am

Don't forget your hat. That's where you lose most of your heat from.

Don't ask how many days of the year it's below zero up here.

J.
"Hatred is never ended by hatred but by love, and a misunderstanding is never ended by argument but by tact, diplomacy, conciliation, and a sympathetic desire to see the other person's viewpoint." ~The Buddha | “We are all humans and none of us is more human than the other.” Romeo Dallaire "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up." ~ Rev.Jesse Jackson]
Old 2007-10-16, 8:48am

Thanks everyone for the responses. At least I know that we're not missing something totally. Sue - I'm in Maine also. We moved from Georgia, so traded the humidity for the heat - might explain why I'm worried about freezing to death - LOL. My husband is researching heat/air exchangers, brings in fresh air but warms it as it does. Has anyone ever tried this?
Old 2007-10-16, 9:30am

Do you mean heat pumps? Lots of people here have them; they work very well.

J.
"Hatred is never ended by hatred but by love, and a misunderstanding is never ended by argument but by tact, diplomacy, conciliation, and a sympathetic desire to see the other person's viewpoint." ~The Buddha | “We are all humans and none of us is more human than the other.” Romeo Dallaire "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up." ~ Rev.Jesse Jackson]
Old 2007-10-16, 9:54am
Looking for my waistline

For those of you who torch in your garage or outside on the patio, check out the Presto Heatdish. It's a parabolic heater shaped like a satellite dish. You can focus the heatflow and man, does it work great! I got mine at Costco for just under $60.

http://www.amazon.com/Presto-HeatDis.../dp/B000IOTREI
Old 2007-10-16, 11:16am

I have some air that will come in closer to the bench (keeping some warm air in the room). I also wear a hat. I heat near my legs if they get cold and I have an old leather coat I can wear if it is really cold. I think the hat and the feet are pretty important if the temperature really dips.

That and having something else to do if I can't tough it out.

Good luck.

ETA: I understand the concept of a heat exchanger just not sure how much it would cost to get one that keeps up with the amount of air the exhaust fan needs to run. I think you'll be surprised at how comfortable (within reason) you can be at fairly cold temps. I used to work in my garage with little insulation and no heat and found 25 was my minimum temp. (I preferred 40, but we can't have everything now can we? ) I guess one thing to think of is how hot can you stand to torch? If I head out at 90 degrees it doesn't take long and I am boiling. (No air conditioning at my torch.) These same heat that keeps me from the torch in the heat of the summer keeps me at the torch part of the winter.

Last edited by Just Nancy; 2007-10-16 at 11:24am.
Old 2007-10-16, 11:52am

DJ,

Sent you a pm. If you're still learning the LE system, at the top right-ish area, click on "Private Messages" and it will take you to your email area.

Where are you in Maine and do you realize that Maine lampworkers are getting together this coming Saturday???? Any chance you can join us? We're good people! lol

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2007-10-16, 4:27pm

Janice, OHH, yes, hats! One of my dear friends knit (crocheted?) me one, I feel like Elphaba with it on. But WARM! I use a bandana in the summer so I keep my hair out of singeing range...

~:
~:

~:

Old 2007-10-16, 5:38pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
For those of you who torch in your garage or outside on the patio, check out the Presto Heatdish. It's a parabolic heater shaped like a satellite dish. You can focus the heatflow and man, does it work great! I got mine at Costco for just under $60.

I have this one too and OMG it is awesome!!!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-10-16, 5:59pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
I have this one too and OMG it is awesome!!!
Every year the Costco puts those out, and every year I eye them, wondering if they're as great as they look.

My studio is downstairs, so it's not ice-cold, but it's pretty damn cold. Cold enough that it makes me cranky

Maybe it's time to get one of those things, now that I've heard some reliable feedback!

J.
Old 2007-10-16, 6:18pm
Ghost Town Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice View Post
Every year the Costco puts those out, and every year I eye them, wondering if they're as great as they look.

My studio is downstairs, so it's not ice-cold, but it's pretty damn cold. Cold enough that it makes me cranky

Maybe it's time to get one of those things, now that I've heard some reliable feedback!

J.
I bought one a couple of years ago, and bought another one the next day. They work great! My studio was really cold this afternoon as dh was on the torch and I was doing pmc. That heater kept me toasty and is well worth it!

Definitely a hat. And I am considering getting one of those heated floor mats, because once my feet are cold, I can never warm up again.

Old 2007-10-16, 6:21pm
Borovangelist

Has anyone tried one like this?:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43456,43465

I think I move around too much for a focused parabolic dish, but this might be better, and if I get the one with the light, so much the better.
Old 2007-10-16, 7:21pm

I've added hand knit wool socks to my ~ keep warm at the torch necessities.
Old 2007-10-17, 12:21am
a pox upon an idiot :..

I also have my fresh air come up under and through my table right below the torch and it works great. No more opening up my door and having the snow blow into my studio. My studio is in my house and the difference it has made in the furnace being able to heat the room is unbelievable.

Mike A explained how to do it and it took less than a half hour to rig it up, it was really easy.
Old 2007-10-17, 12:35am

anyone have advice on a wood burner? That is our plan in the garage but still need to check it out here first. Sure is getting cold out though.

Old 2007-10-17, 7:31am

Quote:
Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
Has anyone tried one like this?:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43456,43465

I think I move around too much for a focused parabolic dish, but this might be better, and if I get the one with the light, so much the better.
A woodworking buddy has a couple out in his shop. They keep it warm enough for him to work all winter. He has overhead lighting, so he has the kind without lights.

J.
Old 2007-10-17, 12:50pm

Before I rebuilt my studio to feed outdoor air into the exhaust hood I had problems with being cold, especially my feet. I put a heating pad in a flat box with a big towel underneath it (insulation from the cold concrete floor) and put my feet on top. My feet stayed toasty and I was a lot happier for the experience.

Robert
Old 2007-10-17, 3:44pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

I have a hot oil heater that works pretty good. I turn it on the night before and let my garage/studio get nice and toasty. It gives me a few hours before it starts to get too cold to work. My hands and head are usually warm enough. I end up with frozen thighs! LOL But yes, wear a hat and warm socks with shoes.

Old 2007-10-17, 4:16pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadowesky View Post
anyone have advice on a wood burner? That is our plan in the garage but still need to check it out here first. Sure is getting cold out though.
We use one for house heat, it's wonderful.

~:
~:

~:

Old 2007-10-19, 12:19pm
Spare Time Designs

Is it ok to have the central heat in the house on at the same time? Even with a window open for make up air?? Hmmm..I'm wondering...cuz I'm getting ready to move in for the winter.