LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2017-01-13, 8:50pm

Default Butterfly wings

Does anyone know of a tutorial or have any tips on how to make a butterfly wing? Do you start with a leaf shape and go from there? Just want to make a pair of earrings. Like this that's pictured but in glass not polymer. Did a search here but really didn't find much. TIA

My Ebay
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by glasslass2; 2017-01-13 at 9:00pm.
Old 2017-01-13, 9:12pm

Or you could do like I think Margaret Zinser does and make the basic shape and indentations and then use glass paint to make your colors, then fire again.
Old 2017-01-13, 9:16pm

Hmm, I've never heard of glass paints. Sounds interesting. Just checked out Margaret Zinser's butterflies.
Very pretty.

My Ebay
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by glasslass2; 2017-01-13 at 9:19pm.
Old 2017-01-14, 11:10am
Jer. 29:11, Prov.10:19

I have a wing tutorial here: http://bluhealer.blogspot.com/2016/1...-tutorial.html
Old 2017-01-14, 1:00pm

Thank you so much for the tutorial. Looks great!

My Ebay
Old 2017-01-14, 5:15pm

Thank you for the wing tutorial. Looks great and, importantly, looks achievable.

Georgia
Old 2017-01-14, 8:33pm

Nice. Thankyou for sharing this tutorial

Sent from my SM-T535 using Tapatalk

Old 2017-01-14, 9:47pm
Slogan Challenged...

Beautiful, love your work and very generous to share.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2017-01-15, 12:32pm

Kat, there is a pretty simple way to do it with sheet glass with fusing techniques.

The easiest is to take a piece of 3mm dichro color on black (flat, with no texture), cut the wing shape. Make a drawing of the wing to determine the colored areas and black "veins". The drawing should be same size as the finished piece will be.

The "spots" (areas where color will stay) are to be traced to some kind of glue tape or plastic, cut and glued on the wing with some spaces between spots. The covered areas will not be affected in the next step.

Apply the etching cream to the piece - this chemical will remove dichro coating on the areas not covered with tape. This approach is shown very well in a video by Tanya Veit. Time is experimental but it does not take too long, The aim is just to remove the coating.

Alternatively you can draw right on the colored side of the glass and carefully scratch away the dichro coating with Dremel tool or similar with a small diamond bit (glasses and a dust mask are a must).

When the piece is rinsed, you have a wing with the colored spots and veins. You can put it in the kiln and add murrini or colored dots on top (small cuts of stringer or thin rod) and tack fuse in the kiln - decorations will round up and fuse to the glass, edges will round as well, scratched areas will become glossy again. If you wish, you can drill holes before firing or glue a bail afterwards and you have the wing.