LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Old 2008-06-05, 2:42pm
Determined Noob!

Question For those with a Mini CC..

I am looking at eventually getting a Mini CC, but had some questions. I noticed that there are a few options available. Does anyone know if there is a huge difference between the regular torch and the high-oxygen option? Does the high-oxygen cost more? Did any of you get the stainless steel body? I've seen prices from $189 to $299! Why is there such a wide range in price?

Thanks

Mini CC, DeVilbiss 515,
COE 104, tanked propane
Old 2008-06-07, 5:57am

I have the high-oxy that is not stainless steel. I love it and have no problems with hot knobs ( some people do report hot knobs) . I can melt 1 1/4 rods into a large gather and blow 2 1/2 to 3 inch ornaments without spending alot of time waiting for glass to melt. I can get 5 ornaments in the kiln in an hour and I am very newby slow.That seems like a pretty good job for a little torch but I don't have anything to compare it to.Maybe someone with a minor can give you some input to compare this to.
Call Carlise and ask for a qoute on the model you are interested in this should clear up the pricing.

Good luck, happy melting,
Alison
Old 2008-06-07, 9:01am

We run a Mini cc (not high oxy or stainless), great torch. Works well for soft glass and small boro projects. The largest marble we have made with it it about 1 1/2 inch. When torch is turned down to work on small beads the knobs do tend to get warm. You also have to be careful not to over tighten knobs or they will leak. We run ours on two M-15 concentrators, one works well for soft but then need to run both for boro.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-06-07, 9:30am

When Carlisle first came out with the Mini CC, there were two models: a pinpoint-flame, and the high-oxygen. Both models look identical, and there is very little on the torch to indicate which model it is.

While I see both models still listed on Carlisle's web site, I have not seen a pinpoint-flame model being offered anywhere. I had heard that Carlisle had dropped the pinpoint model, and is now making only the high-oxygen. It may be available only by special order.

All of the Mini CCs that I've seen have a brass body with the internal tube matrix made of stainless steel. I have not seen one with a stainless steel body.

The torch retails for $229, although I have seen it on sale as low as $189. The Crowley Marver is often included, which retails for an additional $79. So, the $299 price probably includes the optional Crowley Marver.

HTH

Malcolm
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2008-06-07, 11:34am

Thanks for that information Malcolm, and based on that I would have to say that our torch is the High oxy, I had thought the high oxy was a pinpoint.... maybe thats why they have dropped it, gets confusing.

We have the Crowley Marver and that is a very nice addition.

Old 2008-06-09, 10:25pm
Determined Noob!

Thank you guys! I got a little confused when I went to Carlisle's site. Just tryin' to do all the research before I make the investment. A lot of people seem to be really happy with theirs. That means the most to me!

Mini CC, DeVilbiss 515,
COE 104, tanked propane
Old 2008-06-16, 11:04am
Against the Grain

I have a mini cc and love it. I work with 2 oxycons and natural gas and it produces a nice hot flame. My mini cc is the wider bushy flame version.

Having said that, I just upgraded to the Hellcat and the only reason for that is that I want to do bigger projects.

under construction

HELLCAT! with 2 oxycons and household NG (yes I will be increasing the oxy)

D-41
Old 2008-06-17, 3:33pm
The Crazy One

Angie, I'm not sure if you've bought your mini cc yet, but OCR has a great price at $164.95

http://www.glasscolor.com/products/d...D=113&pID=1415
Old 2008-06-17, 4:18pm
Determined Noob!

No, I haven't bought one yet. It'll be a little while before I can actually get one. I'm just looking into it in the mean time. Thank you all for your help!

Mini CC, DeVilbiss 515,
COE 104, tanked propane