Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-12-18, 12:43am
Got space flowers?

Default What torch are you using?

Hi there

I'm curious what torch are you using ... maybe you can tell about your whole unit including what concentrator or if you use bottled gas.
I might get a new torch next year and this might helps me a bit in my decision.
Thank you all!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Karin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-12-18, 7:01am

My wife has a cricket, and I have a bobcat. We love these torches! We share an 8LPM concentrator with no problems, though the bobcat can suck up all of that when I'm working boro. I've fallen in love with boro as of late, so I'm looking to upgrade. The new torch will most definitely be a GTT.

My 2¢, fwiw
Old 2011-12-18, 7:51am
Ambivitreous

DW and I started with MegaMinors. We were so happy with the MegaMinors, that when we decided to upgrade, we went with Red Maxes with MegaMinor topfires. The Nortel burners are un-fussy, reliable workhorses that are simple to maintain, and do everything we need and more. We're on 5 psi natural gas and we're each running a pair of EX-15 oxycons. We recently got a third EX-15 for each of us so we can run both flames full out simultaneously.

Rockin' 2 Nortel Red Maxes with Mega Minor topfires on natural gas & 6 EX-15s with my glass accomplice Lisa F-R
Old 2011-12-18, 8:07am
Loving learning

I have a Minor, and a Hot Head. I use the Minor most of the time. I can't compare it to any of the other mixed fuel torches because I've never used anything else, but I'm happy with it.
Old 2011-12-18, 8:12am
Peerless Thread Killer

I use a minor. I love that torch! I'm on an oxycon (can't remember the name, got it new 5 years ago). I also have a Firebird (the Wale version of a Cricket). I like that one, too-just need to get another set of hoses if I want to switch back and forth.

Old 2011-12-18, 8:46am

Mini CC...but I have nothing to compare it to. I'm thinking of upgrading...I'd like to read about comparisons from people who have played with lots of different torches. =)

Old 2011-12-18, 9:21am
MaximumAwesomeIdeaCount!

I have a Mega Minor that I used for a little over a year, then I got a GTT Cricket. Love them both, as I run on natural gas and a M-10 oxycon. Most of the stuff in my Etsy was made with the Nortel torch and I am looking to sell it if anyone would be interested. I thought I would use both but I have'nt in 5 months...

Use LEFRIEND as a 15% off coupon in my Etsy!

Old 2011-12-18, 10:22am

I started with a GTT Lynx and upgraded this summer to a Mirage. I run with propane and bottled oxygen.
Old 2011-12-18, 10:30am

LarryC,

Did you sell your lynx? if not, are you interested in selling it?
Old 2011-12-18, 11:06am

Quote:
Originally Posted by controlsfreek View Post
LarryC,

Did you sell your lynx? if not, are you interested in selling it?
Nope. It sits on the shelf as a backup. Malcolm at Artco may have them, though. Thats where I get everything.
Old 2011-12-18, 12:00pm

I use A minor with Natural gas and one Oxycon,I am limited and not having any luck with silver glassess,not enough heat but for what I do I am happy.
Old 2011-12-18, 12:21pm

Major Minor and a Mirage on Homefill Bottled Oxy. Oxy cons just do not give me the heat I want.
Old 2011-12-18, 12:32pm
Now part of the Dark Side

Bethlehem Bravo, and a Nortel Red Rocket. I love the Bravo, it uses way less oxy than the Red Rocket, and really drives the heat into the glass.
Old 2011-12-18, 12:44pm
da General

Bethlehem Barracuda on a M15 and Regalia y-ed together. I LOVE my Cuda but with the new Bravo that's much more oxy/fuel efficient, I may upgrade to that . . . some day . . .

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-12-18, 1:21pm

Not hooked up this minute but for beads I was using a Lynx and Regalia. Brad P told me about that combination. I still like the mini cc buthave not used it in a while.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2011-12-18, 2:06pm
I'm meeeeelting

My primary set-up is a Bethlehem Barracuda (love!) with 2 Regalias and a holding tank + propane but I also have a GTT Bobcat that I bought in the bulk buy over the summer that I've used on liquid oxy + propane. The Bobcat's a nice little torch, but I wouldn't give up my Cuda for it.

I'm not crazy about the Minor and like the Mini CC even less. It's all about personal preference and your work style, though. and I think work style develops based on what torch and setup you use, so you're likely to prefer something with more heat and power but similar flame characteristics than your current torch (i.e. do you favor a good pinpoint or a bushy, diffuse heat?).

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2011-12-18, 3:23pm
Salt Box Beads

I have a Mega Minor and a Cricket I use with tanked oxy, I have a HH I still use occaisionally and I have two jewelry torches.

They all serve for different purposes but the Mega is my Fav so far.
Old 2011-12-18, 3:27pm

I have a mini cc with 2 5lpm ocycons. Love my mini cc
Old 2011-12-18, 3:31pm

I have a Scorpion with a Griffin footpedal and an EX15 concentrator. I could probably use another EX15 but so far I have plenty of heat for what I do and love that its a fuel efficient torch!

Old 2011-12-18, 3:50pm

I have a Lynx running on two 5 lpm oxycons. I have ordered an M20 to replace the current oxycons. I love the Lynx.

My first torch was a Minor and it was a great little workhorse. I am keeping it as a backup torch. One of these days I hope to have room to set it up for one of my kids. They are both showing interest in lampworking.

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by." Douglas Adams
Old 2011-12-18, 4:26pm
Glass-aholic

I have a Minor with a 5lpm oxy con, and propane. I like it about 8-10psi, not that I use that much at the torch,, I just like the setting.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-12-18, 4:38pm

Started with a mega minor because of its rep for being durable. Nice torch but was just ok on an m15. Then I tried a cricket which was substantially superior to the MM on the oxycon. Got a chance to get in on the last bulk buy from GTT and got a bobcat which is a huge improvement over the cricket. I think either is a great starter torch, but for the few dollars more I'd recommend the bobcat.

While I had the cricket I also bought a second m15 from jack which was a great improvement and brought me pretty close to tanked performance.

Only real issue I have had is that the GTT torches seem to be very particular about keeping within certain flame sizes and characteristics to perform well and not soot up. I am seeing far more carbon build up if I use a small flame or a flame that is truly neutral. They seem to prefer a larger more oxidizing flame to avoid this.

Got interested in boro, and it actually worked out pretty well using the bobcat with two m15s. But I wanted to try and step up further so started looking at the Phantom and the bravo. Based on reports from others and the significant price difference, it seemed like the bravo was the best buy, and probably both more rugged and more flexible to use.

Meanwhile, it's Christmas and based on reports from others I decided to go ahead and get the new bravo as I think it will be the best of all worlds and let me run on oxycons and still get both a robust flame and a small pinpoint flame and be more flexible then the bobcat.

It's due on Thursday so im excited to try it out after Christmas!

Good luck with making your choice...
Old 2011-12-18, 5:24pm

It kind of depends on what I'm doing. My main torch is a Mirage on tanks, though I use a Cricket (on an oxycon) for small stuff from time to time.

Robert
Old 2011-12-18, 5:38pm
one day at a time

Bobcat and an Airsep AS-12A. But most people can't afford this generator and I paid $2400 for it almost ten years ago. I don't know what they are now. But I've never had to have it repaired. I just wash the filter.

Last edited by Lisi; 2011-12-18 at 5:44pm.
Old 2011-12-18, 5:40pm

I have a GTT cheetah, 2 M-15's and propane. Love it!

Old 2011-12-18, 7:27pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Mine is a Nortel Minor with 5 lpm oxy. It works for me, but I've never had anything else to compare.

Old 2011-12-18, 7:39pm

I am currently using a bravo. I also have a nortel minor and a barracuda - running on an Unlimited Oxygen H-1 - may need to get one more H-1 for full range!
Good thing the volume will go up higher on the stereo!

Last edited by nevadaglass; 2011-12-19 at 9:41am.
Old 2011-12-19, 9:24am
KILN BUILDIN FOOL

I use a Bethlehem Barracuda and Pam uses a night bullet on oxy and propane.

Mike

When you tell lie's about someone, well you get what you get.
Old 2011-12-19, 10:36am
The Crazy One

Currently I have a Mirage on liquid O2. I'm lusting after a Kobuki, but I don't see that happening anytime soon....

When choosing a torch you should take into consideration what type of O2 you have readily available to you and where you want your glass to go.

If it has to be concentrators, a cricket (my recommendation for a first torch), or a Scorpion if you want to go bigger. If your on tanked, well there are so many to choose from! DH has a CC that I use occasionally if I absolutely have to use certain colors and I avoid those colors most of the time!
Old 2011-12-19, 10:49am
randomly active member

I have a Bethlehem Betta running on household natural gas and a Devilbiss 5lpm concentrator.
.:.