Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2008-03-18, 1:14pm

Default Dichro Sizzle Stix (boro)

OK, can anyone tell a thick headed person (such as myself) about these. Wale Apperatus has them so how are they used in a bead application or can they be used that way at all????

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE,
"B"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-03-21, 7:59am

These are rather new, and I can't say that I have personally used them yet, but they are pretty interesting.

Basically, it is a prepared 33COE rod that is made by taking dichro, backing it with color, then encasing the whole thing and pulling it down into rod. The obvious benefit is that since it is fully encased, the color and dichro are protected.

How do you use them in beads? Well, I make some boro beads that basically consist of striping color and pulling down a multicolored cane, then applying it to the mandrel in a thin layer, and using 3mil clear to drag through for color swirls and ripples, then encasing. This is a technique that I learned from Doug Remschneider.

I could imagine taking the Dichro Sizzle Stix and using them either in place of the 3mil after pulling them down, or as a base color in the original cane. Either way, you could add Dichro without worry of burning it out.

Just a thought, and I would certainly love to hear from anyone else that has any thoughts or has tried them!

Chris Camac
Wale Apparatus
www.waleapparatus.com
800-334-9253
Old 2008-03-21, 8:01am
ManBearPig

I've tried them and they burned up pretty badly. I think you would be better off using dichroic strips and pulling them down like Chris said.

Old 2008-03-21, 3:02pm

Thanks Folks,
I can burn water so maybe I better stay away from them BUT my gosh they are gorgeous!!
"B"

Old 2008-03-31, 11:54am

Funny - when I read "Sizzle Sticks" I thought of Bullseye (COE 90). They have been using that name for their dichro strips backed with Bullseye for quite some time now... wonder if they are involved, or if "great minds think alike"?