Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2010-02-28, 8:42am

Default Any interest in a wire wrapping tutorials?

I haven't made any new tutorials in almost 4 months and I've come to realize that I love making tutorials as much as I love making jewelry.
I would like to do several of them and I'm still deciding where to start! What kind of tutorials do you all prefer? I was thinking of maybe doing some simple earring tutorials and maybe a pendant but I thought I would ask what you all would like first.
I'll post pictures in here of different peices as I make them and get oppinions from everyone. I would like to do tutorials that don't involve any fusing or at least have fusing as opptional.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My Facebook
Old 2010-02-28, 10:59am

yes, please!!!!!
Old 2010-02-28, 11:11am
"Sinners have soul too"

Have you done a ring?? I've seen some really cute lampwork and wire wrapped rings... I wanna make one

Plus, I just love your tutorials

Old 2010-02-28, 5:11pm

Jewlie.. if you end up making new ones, let me know and I'll add them to your website.

Old 2010-02-28, 5:29pm
The Andrea Half

I would like to see a tut on soldering, with pictures. I can always see the solder marks where I have soldered a piece, even after I have filed, buffed, brass-brushed, and tumbled.

What about making cone-shaped end-caps? A solid, no-fuss way to wire-finish Viking knit or silk ribbon?

Old 2010-02-28, 5:54pm

Just sent you some ideas.

Old 2010-03-01, 5:49am

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourTailsLampwork View Post
I would like to see a tut on soldering, with pictures. I can always see the solder marks where I have soldered a piece, even after I have filed, buffed, brass-brushed, and tumbled.

What about making cone-shaped end-caps? A solid, no-fuss way to wire-finish Viking knit or silk ribbon?
I have'nt tried soldering yet but I have done fusing! I usaully fuse copper wire ends and such to get solid jump rings or, when I want to hold 2 peices of copper wire together. You don't need flux or anything to fuse but I have'nt tried to fuse sheet copper together to get a solid cone shape.

My Facebook
Old 2010-03-01, 8:38am
The Andrea Half

Hmmm. I have tried fusing, too -- I didn't know you could fuse copper! I know you can fuse fine silver; I've done that and it turned out well.

So I have some questions! (should this go in the metal area, as I am off the topic of tutorials):

*Does copper work the same way as fine silver?

*Why can one fuse fine silver and copper and not sterling? I would love to know, actually, because when I solder copper I always have to copper-plate the solder so you don't see the line, and fusing would be much better.

*Is copper fusing strong enough to withstand pressure, like making tubing end-caps for bracelets? (check out the copper Viking knit tube end caps I soldered and copper plated, below).

* Would you be interested in writing up a tut on copper fusing?

Last edited by FourTailsLampwork; 2010-03-01 at 8:42am. Reason: clarity and to get the *(%)&%&#&^ pictures to show up!
Old 2010-03-01, 10:55am
formerly JewelsByJenny

Julie, I love everything you make! I would love a tutorial on making these bracelets http://www.etsy.com/view_transaction...on_id=25449596. I bet they would go over well with the people that make personalized jewelry with metal stamps on Etsy.

Jenny

Last edited by EmbellishYourself; 2010-03-01 at 10:55am. Reason: forgot the link! Doh!
Old 2010-03-02, 11:47am

Quote:
Hmmm. I have tried fusing, too -- I didn't know you could fuse copper! I know you can fuse fine silver; I've done that and it turned out well.

So I have some questions! (should this go in the metal area, as I am off the topic of tutorials):

*Does copper work the same way as fine silver?

*Why can one fuse fine silver and copper and not sterling? I would love to know, actually, because when I solder copper I always have to copper-plate the solder so you don't see the line, and fusing would be much better.

*Is copper fusing strong enough to withstand pressure, like making tubing end-caps for bracelets? (check out the copper Viking knit tube end caps I soldered and copper plated, below).

* Would you be interested in writing up a tut on copper fusing?

I'll try to make a tutorial for fusing copper. Its pretty much the same as fusing .999 fine silver except it takes a little longer and a hotter flame.
I think fused copper holds up really well! I fuse the ends of my copper wire when I make my woven cuff bracelets and I pound my fused copper jump rings and have'nt had any problems with it coming apart. It does take practice if you are making jump rings and you may mess most of them up at first until you get the hang of it. LOL! I fuse my copper on my hot head torch and it works perfect for me. I tried to fuse sheet copper and it didn't turn out and I don't know if its possible to fuse sheet copper or not. I'll try to get good enough pics to make a tutorial on what I know about fusing to post in the tutorial section here.
I don't have any books on fusing copper and I pretty much just played around with my copper wire on my torch one day after I seen someone using balled copper head pins. Of course I was curious and had to try it myself to see if I could make them too.

My Facebook
Old 2010-03-02, 7:56pm

I just finished a couple pair of earrings and was wondering if there would be an interest in something simular to these?

My Facebook
Old 2010-03-02, 9:06pm
HourGlass Studio

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love those 2 earrings. PLEASE DO A TUTORIAL ON THEM (yes, I was shouting...so she'd hear me ) LOL.

Old 2010-03-02, 9:17pm

Did someone holler?

My Facebook
Old 2010-03-02, 9:38pm
HourGlass Studio

Oh good...you heard me. LOL.

Old 2010-03-03, 6:52am

I still want a tut for that more open bracelet you did.

Old 2010-03-03, 9:14am
It's not easy being green

Please do one for the heart earrings!!! Please Please Please!

If it was easy then everybody would do it!
Old 2010-03-03, 11:02am
Because I Dig Stones

My vote is the heart ones too... AND the spiral!!!
Old 2010-03-03, 3:26pm

Ok! I'll start on the heart earring tutorial first. It may take a little while because I will be putting shingles on the roof this weekend also. Hubby has been waiting to do this on his weekend off when its not raining, snowing, or too cold and it looks like this weekend will be a good one to start.

My Facebook
Old 2010-03-04, 7:14pm

This is the earrings that I'm making the tutorial on.

My Facebook
Old 2010-03-04, 8:29pm

Quote:

good idea......

or caps to end Byzantine too.. I know it's spelled for crap too

Facebook

Blogger
Old 2010-03-05, 4:19pm

(((((Sigh))))))! I wish I could solder! It sounds like so much fun!

I just finished the earring tutorial and have it listed on Etsy!

My Facebook
Old 2010-03-05, 4:54pm
Empress of Fire & Wire

no more of this tut up, put some more on etsy Jewlie!!!!

Old 2010-03-05, 5:17pm
HourGlass Studio

OMG....want !!

Old 2010-03-05, 5:56pm

Got it! LOL!

My Facebook
Old 2010-03-07, 1:32pm
The Andrea Half

Julie, did you use tubing in the bracelet Jenny linked to above? I use flattened copper tubing in some of my designs, but I have wondered if the tubing puts too much strain on the interior wire ... ?

http://www.artfire.com/modules.php?n...uct_id=1174406

Old 2010-03-07, 10:52pm
Broken

I love your wire wrapping, but I am always nervous to buy a tut because I never know how much time they take to make or the materials involved.

Could you list the materials we'd need and the time each project takes (aprox?)

I can't fuse copper worth a hoot, it always ends up in a molten puddle.

Old 2010-03-08, 9:10pm

Quote:
Julie, did you use tubing in the bracelet Jenny linked to above? I use flattened copper tubing in some of my designs, but I have wondered if the tubing puts too much strain on the interior wire ... ?

http://www.artfire.com/modules.php?n...uct_id=1174406
I wondered the same thing before I made the bracelet. I had to be careful not to hammer the center part of the tubing that the wire ran through as much as the rest of the tubing. I just hammered along the edges to hold the wire in the center and finished the rest by hammering with the ball end of my hammer and only lightly hammering the center to dent but not flatten it. It seemed pretty sturdy when I was finished.

My Facebook
Old 2010-03-08, 9:28pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicker View Post
I love your wire wrapping, but I am always nervous to buy a tut because I never know how much time they take to make or the materials involved.

Could you list the materials we'd need and the time each project takes (aprox?)

I can't fuse copper worth a hoot, it always ends up in a molten puddle.
Thank you Nicole! I actually have a materials and supply list in each tutorial listing on Etsy and in the tutorial itself so anyone can see what it is before purchasing. I never really timed myself making them and have to stop several times before I ever get to finish. I'm just guessing but it could take 2 hours maybe. I think the more practice you get, the faster it goes and the easier it gets.

My Facebook
Old 2010-03-09, 6:50am
The Andrea Half

I know that things that take me forever the first time around get easier as I learn how. Nicker, what torch are you using for fusing copper? I haven't tried fusing copper myself; I've been using a Bernzomatic Power Cell, which is what the peeps at William Holland use (according to a friend who has taken classes).

I needto get WELL and finish grading so I can MELT STUFF.

Old 2010-03-09, 8:50am
Broken

I have a whale torch, I use it for silversmithing. But copper just doesn't agree with me.