Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2021-09-11, 8:57am

have you verified various locations inside with an external thermocouple?
Old 2021-10-18, 9:56am

For mine, I have only moved the thermocouple tip to various locations inside the annealer but have not used an external thermocouple. My unit has a variation of about 15 degrees from the from front to back. Side to side was about 8 degrees so I just ignored that part.

Basically, I anneal at 1065 and everything seems to work out well. Boro is so much more forgiving than soft so the cooling can be a bit more aggressive. The mini-annealer loses heat quickly with elements off at a rate of about 25 degrees per minute so my SSR relay gets a workout but glass is happy. I can anneal soft but must have gentler ramps and a lot more patience....I prefer boro.
Old 2021-10-18, 2:39pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktscientist View Post
For mine, I have only moved the thermocouple tip to various locations inside the annealer but have not used an external thermocouple. My unit has a variation of about 15 degrees from the from front to back. Side to side was about 8 degrees so I just ignored that part.

Basically, I anneal at 1065 and everything seems to work out well. Boro is so much more forgiving than soft so the cooling can be a bit more aggressive. The mini-annealer loses heat quickly with elements off at a rate of about 25 degrees per minute so my SSR relay gets a workout but glass is happy. I can anneal soft but must have gentler ramps and a lot more patience....I prefer boro.
without a digital controller nor external pyrometer how are you measuring these temps?
Old 2021-10-18, 3:02pm

Built my own digital controller with SSR. Found the kit online, did research on similar builds. Mine came with poor instructions but others are better, it pays to shop around.
I calibrated but only at one point (0 C/32°F), using ice water. Standard K type thermocouple; used it to take measurements.

That controller can be used with any kiln up to 20A so it was worth the effort to build. Allows me to shop for analog kilns which are far more affordable.

This mini-annealer works well enough for my purposes but I'll be upgrading soon. Just wanted everyone to know it's possible to control annealing with a digital controller. A ramp controller would've been even better!