No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-09-02, 1:48pm
Bohemian Bead Peddler

Default Paragon Bluebird Kiln Questions

Ok, so I just have a few questions regarding the Paragon Bluebird kiln schedule that I'm going to use. Many thanks to Paul Ewing for the schedule.

On the Hold 3 & Hold 4 cycles: why hold for only 1 minute? What's the benefit and why should I do it?

At the end where he discusses "skipping out" of the Hold 1 cycle to go to the annealing cycle: how do I do that? In the past, every time I try to push the cycle ahead I end up dumping myself out of the menu and back to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ewing View Post

Soft Glass Annealing Schedule:

Ra 1(Ramp 1) = 1400 ( degrees per hour to ramp at ) your controller may say FULL

oF 1(Temperature 1) = 950 ( lower than annealing temp, referred to as the 'garaging' temp )

Hld1(Hold 1) = 4.00 ( 4 hours hold time ) the amount of time you have to work

Ra 2(Ramp 2) = 1400 ( it will only take a few minutes to go from 950 to 968 )

oF 2(Temperature 2) = 968 ( annealing temp )

Hld2(Hold 2) = 1.00 ( hold for 1 hour, the ANNEAL SOAK time ) Sufficient for a 1” bead

Ra 3 (Ramp 3) = 120 ( equates to 2 degrees per minute, the ANNEAL RAMP )

oF 3(Temperature 3) = 848 ( well below the 860 'strain point' to be safe )

Hld3(Hold 3) = .01 ( hold for 1 minute )

Ra 4 (Ramp 4) = 200 (controlled cool off, some people don’t use this step)

oF 4(Temperature 4)= 400(the temperature a which your kiln will shut off and cool on its own)

Hld4(Hold 4)= .01 (hold for 1 minute)

With Hld1 = 4.00, the kiln will hold at the 950 "garaging" temp for 4 hours. If you make beads for a longer time you can increase the number. Don’t shorten it though because you can “skip” out and go to the annealing step when you are finished working.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-09-02, 2:08pm

The hold time on the ramp down to 848 is not the important part. The important thing it to go from 968 to 848 slowly. That hold time could be zero if your controller will do that.

If you have an Orton 3 button controller, I push the second button for "skip step" and then the first button for the number of steps I want to skip, usually 2 pushes for me. I am usually skipping Ramp 2, Temp 2 in order to start Hold 2.

If you do not have an Orton 3 button controller, ignore that, and I don't have a clue how to do it!
Old 2011-09-02, 11:55pm
Bohemian Bead Peddler

Thanks for explaining the whole ramp time thing.

I have no idea what kind of controller is on there, but I'm not pushing any buttons other than what I'm supposed to anymore. That'd be the on/off button.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-09-03, 4:52am

I will be at my studio today and will take a picture of my controller and show you which button I push. I have a Bluebird, so it is likely the same. However, I guess they could offer options on that, so I don't want to mislead you.
Old 2011-09-03, 4:55am

Also, I found it useful to write out my program steps on paper, and say why I was doing it. I think I am visual like that, but it really helped me solidify why I was doing the different steps, and how to recover if I pushed the wrong thing or the wrong number of times.

I always start out with my work hold (hold 1) at 12 hours. When I am done, I do the skip step thing to start the second hold, of 1 hour.
Old 2011-09-03, 2:42pm

This is what my Bluebird controller looks like.

To skip to the start of the ramp down, I would press the middle button once, and then the first button twice.
Old 2011-09-04, 5:08pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeveria View Post

This is what my Bluebird controller looks like.

To skip to the start of the ramp down, I would press the middle button once, and then the first button twice.
i have the same one - i've got the instructions as a pdf if anybody wants them

ETA - ooh, handy to know, i set my work time for 5 hours and if i finish early then i just let it go, but that sounds like a much better idea!

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-09-06, 9:59pm
Bohemian Bead Peddler

Thank you very much for the pictures, Kathy. That was so nice! I think I'll also set mine to 5 hrs, then I'll have plenty of time.

Old 2011-10-18, 10:25pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
i have the same one - i've got the instructions as a pdf if anybody wants them
I'd like em, deb! thank you

Ann
Old 2011-10-18, 10:40pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by annfortina View Post
I'd like em, deb! thank you
Pm me your email addy

Old 2011-10-19, 6:37am

The hold one minute is to complete the segment.
Segment = RAMP, TEMP, HOLD
on the last segment, if you put 0 "zero" for the hold time, then the segment will be incomplete and the controler wont run that segment. That would be bad news, because the contoler would then turn off the kiln at the end of the previous segment.
Feel free to pm me with questions.... on any kiln or controler, annealing, fusing or casting.
Ron
Old 2011-10-20, 12:11am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by R4GlassStudio View Post
The hold one minute is to complete the segment.
Segment = RAMP, TEMP, HOLD
on the last segment, if you put 0 "zero" for the hold time, then the segment will be incomplete and the controler wont run that segment. That would be bad news, because the contoler would then turn off the kiln at the end of the previous segment.
Feel free to pm me with questions.... on any kiln or controler, annealing, fusing or casting.
Ron
?? i dont have to do that on mine