Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-05-04, 12:16pm

Question Reduction Glass--- help please

Sorry if the info is someplace but I did not see it. I am trying to use Reduction Glass "SPC402 Picasso Silver Blue" from Sundance glass.

This is the way to use it. (from Sundance`s site)
"PC 402 Picasso: This one likes a lot of reduction heat, but don't overdo it. Just roll it around in the flame until you see the haze appear. Let it cool a bit, and then go back to a neutral flame. Reduce multiple times and tease the colors out at the back of the flame several times. The more times you do this, the better the color. "

I get "little" change. can anyone give me any pointers. I have tried multiple time up to 7 times. do you reduce only a small amount of Oxy ? A lot? It has "likes a lot of reduction heat" that means????????
Old 2014-05-04, 12:30pm

A reduction flame is a propane rich flame. Depending on your setup, you either increase propane, or decrease oxygen. I am on an oxycon with a Bobcat torch, so I do a little of both - I turn my propane up and my oxygen down a little bit. Once I have long yellow candles, I wave my bead in an out of that flame, checking it to see if I have the result I want. A "lot" of reduction heat would mean minimal oxygen to me.

I have not worked with Picasso, so perhaps someone else has some specific advise for that color. Is it 104 COE?
Old 2014-05-04, 3:21pm

For a start what torch are you using?

You will know when you have reduction because you will get a blue oil-slick/mirrored appearance.

How much you get depends on the torch chemistry and how long you leave it in there.

I used Picasso with great success on the hot head. Apply, melt in, cover torch holes, wave bead through until oil slick appears, encase without getting the reduction in the flame again
(this bit is important)

Custard...it's just like hot icecream!
Old 2014-05-05, 4:25am
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

To me, "a lot of reduction heat" would mean a hot reduction flame. Just posted this in another thread as well, a hot reduction flame is when you turn the propane up on your torch (assuming of course that you are using a dual fuel torch) as opposed to turning the oxy down (which is a cool reduction flame), so I would try that & see if it works. Multiple times to me means lots, possibly 10 to 20, but that helps change the colours you get, you should at least get a reaction the first few times that you put it back in the flame after you have cooled it down.

I have a feeling that I may have some Silver Blue, I will have a look tomorrow & see what I can do with it if I do have some & will report back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-05-05, 6:54pm
Glass-aholic

This is a great glass on a hh torch. Lots of reducing is key. You can burn off the reduction by getting it too hot. Work the glass to the shape you need then when you are done turn down the oxy and cool your bead a bit. Then wave it through the flame a little at a time until you see shiny shiny appear. You need to keep the bead cool, if you want to encase it try and keep it out of the neutral flame a lot. if you loose your reduction in the regular flame just reduce again. You don't have to encase it either. I tend to loose my reduction w/ Picasso vs Nyx.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-05-05, 9:31pm
Salt Box Beads

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...so+Silver+Blue
Old 2014-05-07, 6:36pm
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

I don't have any Silver Blue, I have Silver Mist & Silver Amethyst, sorry!

Old 2014-05-08, 8:12am
Glass-aholic

They work in the same manner. They are all reduction glasses.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.: