Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-01-19, 12:18pm

Default * * * Ventilations Advice Needed * * *

I've finally put aside enough money to have a ventilation system installed. Here is a photo of my $10 basement 'studio'. I run a Pirahna on NG and have an oxy con.

Your recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 2007-01-19, 2:38pm
Safety ALWAYS

Hi Suzanne -- as a realtor, your gonna love this comment:

"A real fixer-upper!"

Actually, it isn't all that bad, and you've got a lot to work with.

I'd start by putting in a good-ish sized kitchen vent hood, if you can find one with the proper amount of CFM for the size (100 to 125 CFM per square foot of coverage.).

You will have to take down the flourescent fixture, because that's where the hood has to go. Duct it straight out the window behind the workstation. It will be a short run, with a minimum of bends (1 90 max).

I'd use halogen task lighting from the side or above and behind you in the form of spot lights to replace the flourescent.

You haven't shown the rest of the basement area, but you will need to bring in replacement air for the hood, and it can't come from the window to the left of your workstation - that's too close. You need a minimum of 10 feet of separation between intake and exhaust to prevent co-mingling of fumes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-01-19, 7:58pm

LOL! Mike, my basement is truly a basement.

I'm really surprised, but thrilled, that a kitchen hood will do. I thought for sure I'd need a rectangular hood. I hoped that window to the left could be my air intake but there is another window about 6 ft. away from it, then 2 more along that same wall. My basement is 2200 sq. ft. About 1800 of that is a large open rectangular space.
Old 2007-01-20, 7:03am
Safety ALWAYS

Just keep in mind that the kitchen hood *has* to have the minimum 100 to 125 CFM per square foot of coverage -- many DO NOT.

And the 10 foot rule is unbreakable. But remember it is *linear* along the outside wall, not the inside distance -- run a tape measure from the exhaust along the outside wall to the window you plan to use, because you are going around a corner, it is guaranteed to be more than 10 feet. Even though the direct line measurement at an angle inside is less than 10 feet, it is the outside measurement that counts.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2007-01-21, 7:28am

Thank you, Mike.