LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-06-20, 4:21am

Hi..I have a lot of frit..many mixtures that work wonderfully but I also have many one color frits and when I try to use these..even the lightest colors..they turn very dark or black.I am fairly new at this..can anyone think of what I might be doing wrong..and please don't get too technical on me..lol..Thank you for any advice ♥
"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-06-20, 6:29am

It sounds like you might have some "striking" colors, colors that need to be heated/cooled/heated to get to their real color. Try doing a a search for "striking colors" or "striking glass" and you'll get lots of information. Effetre transparent orange and rd are both striking colors, for example. In rod form they look transparent Amber or yellow, but change colors as they are heated and cooled. A lot of glass with a high silver content can also strike to different colors.

Good luck!

Mimi
Old 2015-06-20, 7:29am

Sounds like you are reducing the frit. Either with too much propane (long yellow candles) or working too close to the torch head. Also, could be that the frit you are using doesn't like colors with high sulphur content. This is the reaction that you see when you use turquoise on Ivory and get the dark ring around.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-06-20, 11:19am

I think the problem frits are Zimmermann and everyone says its furnace glass and very dense.I seem to have another thread on the same subject and other ideas too I know I am not reducing but I also know I am using very reactive ones.I will try everyones ideas and I apprrciate all your advice.My Kuglar and Reichenbach behave well so its just the Zimm ones I think..and boy, do I have a lot..lol..Thanks again!
"

Old 2015-06-20, 11:58am

Might try pulling some thin stringers and see how that works. Or if still to dense, mix with some clear and pull stringer.

Old 2015-06-20, 6:44pm

I'll give it a try..thanks again
"

Old 2020-04-01, 7:41pm
Queen of the milo field

BUMP!

Learned so much from this thread - from Kalera & all the others who posted. It's time to revisit all this good stuff.

dj
Old 2020-04-01, 8:26pm
Slogan Challenged...

agree!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2020-04-02, 6:23am
dances with ideas...

Thanks! I was just thinking about this thread the other day.

Old 2020-04-02, 4:57pm
Loving learning

Good idea!
Old 2020-06-06, 5:28pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
I might be having a mid-life crisis, or maybe I'm just looking for more excuses to hang out on the computer and procrastinate working... but if anyone is interested in how I make a particular bead or just achieve a specific effect, post a pic of it here and I'll spill the beans. (The only exceptions are things I learned in a class from someone who is still teaching, in which case I'll refer you to them. )
Dear,
I am french and live in the Caribbean so it is difficult for me to take course to learn more. I make flameworking since 2002 and I learn a lot with english book.
I would like to make galaxy glass bead. I already understand how to use the opal and the tube. I just looking name of boro glass with silver or gold, to make the nebula (instead of fuming). Thank you for your help. Best regards. Carol
Old 2021-11-16, 5:58pm
Valparaíso - Chile

Hi, please I need to know how to connect an oxygen concentrator to the torch.
Thank

@cristallo_perle
Old 2021-11-18, 9:54am
Phill

On mine the threaded fitting screws right on the the connector on the hose.

On others, the pointed 'barbed tip' on the concentrator will fit inside the cut end of a welders hose and a screw band around it pulls it snug.

The out put pressure from an oxygen concentrator isn't very high so it doesn't take a whole lot to get a tight, non-leak fitting.

You might find more detailed answers in the "studio" thread and/or the "safety" thread.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2021-11-18 at 9:57am.
Old 2021-11-23, 7:31am

This popped up in my Recent list with the new activity the other day and I just want to say I miss Kalera! This was the most awesome generous thread ever.
Old 2021-11-23, 2:08pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeveria View Post
This popped up in my Recent list with the new activity the other day and I just want to say I miss Kalera! This was the most awesome generous thread ever.
I miss her, too. Was just thinking about her the other day.
Old 2022-10-30, 10:42pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
Those are a base of Bullseye French Vanilla, covered with a strip of heavy silver foil, melt in, roll in transparent colors of Bullseye frit, melt in, encase.
Hi Kalera, for the bead on the right, which transparent frit did you use? Thanks!
Old 2022-10-31, 8:06am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annieli123 View Post
Hi Kalera, for the bead on the right, which transparent frit did you use? Thanks!
Kalera has not been here in years.