No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-08-18, 11:20am
Glass-aholic

Default The blue sludge thing...

Is it over? Was there ever any resolve? Is it the super blue or the dip an go or both? I need more and love the blue stuff. Tried others but keep ending up with blue.... I'll order fusion or smooth n tuff if I have to, but I like the blue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2013-08-18, 12:00pm

I don't know what the thing is, but I've just started using blue sludge and really like it, so I hope it's still being made. Janet
Old 2013-08-18, 2:23pm
Flame Dames Rule!

Arrow Springs makes all the Sludge bead releases, you can always get it from them.

I *love* the Dip n' Go Blue Sludge - it can be flame dried and the beads come off without much problem.

It's the only release that's ever worked for me with Cabochon Mandrels - the glass stays on the cabs till I'm done. With Fusion, sometimes they pop off .

There's one big difference between Fusion and all the Sludge releases: when you're ready to put glass on the mandrel, warm Sludge to a cherry glow - that'll strengthen it. If you do the same to Fusion, the release weakens and breaks more easily.

So: Both great releases, but Dip n' Go has better grip, great when you're going to be putting stress on the mandrel. Fusion works well too, and it's just a shade easier getting beads off the mandrel. Warm it gently before applying glass.

I use both kinds, love em both!

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Last edited by SharonP; 2013-08-18 at 2:25pm.
Old 2013-08-18, 3:19pm
one day at a time

I love the Dip-n-Go because the consistency is so smooth and there is very little residue when cleaning out the holes. It is second to my favorite which is KRAG Mudd. I never tried the blue, but I imagine it must be good stuff also.
Old 2013-08-18, 4:01pm

Yes on the Dip n' Go. It's my favorite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonP View Post
Arrow Springs makes all the Sludge bead releases, you can always get it from them.

I *love* the Dip n' Go Blue Sludge - it can be flame dried and the beads come off without much problem.

It's the only release that's ever worked for me with Cabochon Mandrels - the glass stays on the cabs till I'm done. With Fusion, sometimes they pop off .

There's one big difference between Fusion and all the Sludge releases: when you're ready to put glass on the mandrel, warm Sludge to a cherry glow - that'll strengthen it. If you do the same to Fusion, the release weakens and breaks more easily.

So: Both great releases, but Dip n' Go has better grip, great when you're going to be putting stress on the mandrel. Fusion works well too, and it's just a shade easier getting beads off the mandrel. Warm it gently before applying glass.

I use both kinds, love em both!

Old 2013-08-19, 9:19am
Glass-aholic

But the recent cracking beads batch of the blue sludge... Did anything ever come of it?

Sharon thanks. I read that info in another posting of yours. You had the perfect answer to the question I had in my head.

I love my blue sludge. I'm ready to order more, but I want to make sure that the cracking thing isn't gonna happen to 1/2 gal worth of release.

I didn't know if it was a dip n go or a sludge plus related issue or both.. I'll use either, but I'd rather err on the side of caution and get the one there were no issues with. Especially considering that much should last me about 3 years! Lol but for the price... I might as well get a 4 pack.

WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2013-08-19, 6:36pm
Arrow Springs

Default probably the answer....

I think what happened with the Dip-n-Go Blue Sludge in those posts is this: if you notice, both of the people with major cracks watered it down to get it thinner. The way to get it thinner is to dip and extract the mandrel slower, not water it down. Additional water will not only make it weaker but change the chemical composition. The only time you need to add any water is when it is like wet clay that has gone dry.

If Sludge has worked for you in the past, it has not changed at all, it will still work. My favorite is still the regular Dip-n-Go Sludge, not the Blue but then I don't make large beads and I don't spend hours on one bead either. The Blue is stronger for that kind of work.

You do need to heat it up to a glow and then don't let it cool too much before applying glass - not heating it first can cause air bubbles and letting it cool way too long before applying the glass can make it more brittle.

Sludge was the first mandrel release formulated for our industry and it is still around because it is the easiest and most consistent one out there to use. Once you get the system down, it's foolproof. I made thousands and thousands of beads for Rio Grande with it and we have also had thousands of customer make a bazillion beads by now using it and we can't all be wrong!!

Donna Milliron - Arrow Springs - BellaDonna Glass - Dazzlings! Frit Blends
Old 2013-08-19, 8:39pm

Donna, I do thin mine on occasion but it is still very thick. Yes, the slower the pull, the thinner but I have never had cracking issues even by thinning it. I have been doing that for years. I also agree that it has to be red hot before adding glass.

Old 2013-08-20, 12:51am

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
Donna, I do thin mine on occasion but it is still very thick. Yes, the slower the pull, the thinner but I have never had cracking issues even by thinning it. I have been doing that for years. I also agree that it has to be red hot before adding glass.
Same here........using the Dip-n-Go Blue Sludge since 2007 and always thinning it. Never had any issues...my absolute favorite bead release!
Old 2013-08-20, 3:09am
offically down under

I made beads using the Blue Sludge both thick and thin and had horrible cracking issues with both. I was very disappointed as I emailed and never got a response. It cost me a bomb in postage and I only bought it because of all the glowing reports I read about on LE.

Last edited by tammydownunder; 2013-08-20 at 3:17am.
Old 2013-08-20, 5:57am
Glass-aholic

Thanks!! I thin mine with vodka, and once ameretto... Lol. Usually flavored.. But only cuz I had a bottle of something that I added water to and it smelled so bad!!! The water helped it grow nasty yucky stuff in it. It was discussing. (But still worked great) so now I use vodka.. And as an Added bonus, I always have at least a small amount of booze in the shop still never had any issues with thinning, and I do it regularly as well. Thanks to all!! Donna I love my sludge blue

Old 2013-08-20, 6:12am
I fart diamonds

I love all the Sludges. It ALWAYS holds up. No cracking issues and I've had mandrels that have been dipped for years that still work. I don't make beads often and when I dip mandrels, I dip a LOT of mandrels so they tend to sit for a while before I use them.

Old 2013-08-20, 6:41am
SCIENCE Teacher!

If you use distilled or bottled water it won't have a bad smell.
Old 2013-08-20, 10:02am
Arrow Springs

Default Tammy

Hi Tammy, I get all the emails for Arrow Springs in my email box and I never saw one from you - where did you send it?

I am at a loss to know why your beads are cracking and breaking. The only way I know this happens is if you heat it first and let it cool too long before adding glass. Can you explain your steps?

Thanks, Donna
Old 2013-08-20, 10:24am
T.J. made me do it

Love the Sludges. I have never used anything else. I do thin mine often though since our lack of humidity sucks the moisture out of anything even a jar with the lid on tight and inside a ziplock bag. I use well water that is filtered.

Old 2013-08-21, 7:00am
one day at a time

I have chlorinated city water and that never caused any problems with smell. My mother's house in the country had well water, and my bead release would get green algae in it. Ew!
Old 2013-08-21, 7:09am

Exactly what I was just going to post. The well water makes it smell nasty after awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
I have chlorinated city water and that never caused any problems with smell. My mother's house in the country had well water, and my bead release would get green algae in it. Ew!

Old 2013-08-21, 7:46am

I love love love the Sludge! My favorite bead release by far!!

--Helene