No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-02-06, 9:52am
Certified Thread Killer

Question Making the Most of CIM Canyon de Chelly and Other Cool Glass

Okay, I bought some CIM Canyon de Chelly (thanks, Reenie) and played with it last night.

I used it all by itself, made basic round beads and just played. I wound it on in layers, dots, squiggles, lines, melted it slow, used neutral, oxidizing, and reducing flames, melted it hot, melted it cool, basically had fun with it all, but without adding any additional colors, SIS, or other.

They all looked great...hot. Different patterns, swirls, color variations, etc. But coming out of the kiln this morning the patterns were quite...er...subtle, and the beads were almost one color and one color only. Kinda boring, actually. It's not a bad color, I was just hoping for a little more streaky-ness.

I love this color, but are there colors that react with it? I did a search of threads and ogled everyone else's creations, and admittedly, liked the ones with added colors the best, especially the SIS and raku!

What other colors, CIM or otherwise, are kind of "self-streaking" from the rod to the mandrel? I saw a bead in a thread made with CIM Stone Ground that looked like it was nice and marbled.
Old 2009-02-06, 7:24pm
I like to melt things

Copper green does a really cool reaction with Canyon De Chelley and grows a dark purple line around it, and turns itself sort of blue. I really love that reaction - I hope you do too!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Old 2009-02-06, 8:42pm
Uh-oh means it's too late

I was having the same thoughts about Canyon De Chelly actually but now I know I can play with my raku with it so maybe it will be my friend again-lol

Old 2009-02-07, 7:16am

Hi Rachelle,
Never used it but I write in my notebook to try with Psyche or Hades
This note come from a thread began by Carolyn M.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...=canyon+chelly

Hope that help
Lise
Old 2009-02-07, 7:19am
Certified Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oenone View Post
Copper green does a really cool reaction with Canyon De Chelley and grows a dark purple line around it, and turns itself sort of blue. I really love that reaction - I hope you do too!
I have got to try this! Thanks! If nothing else, the colors will look superb swirled in together!

~Rachelle
Old 2009-02-07, 7:38am
Certified Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroli View Post
Hi Rachelle,
Never used it but I write in my notebook to try with Psyche or Hades
This note come from a thread began by Carolyn M.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...=canyon+chelly

Hope that help
Lise
Grrrrr (but thanks!). I'm like the queen of searches and can usually pull the info out of nowhere. I searched and searched the threads for "Canyon de Chelly" and read everything I could find for over an hour. I never saw THAT thread.

Had I seen THAT thread, I wouldn't have needed THIS thread. Oh well.

Thanks for posting that! It has everything I needed to know as a "starting point". I knew this glass was a little more than a glorified yellow ocher

~Rachelle
Old 2009-02-07, 8:49am

I've found the less I work CDC the more variation I get. Seems like others have posted the opposite, so it may just take some experimentation. Love, love, love it with Psyche.
Old 2009-02-07, 10:09am
Certified Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadbroad View Post
I've found the less I work CDC the more variation I get. Seems like others have posted the opposite, so it may just take some experimentation.
This might explain why my experimental beads are darker toward the core. and then various bands of color until the outside which is more of a pastel color. But now in good light, I have on different beads, various shades of peach, lavender, caramel, khaki, brown...

It isn't all that bad...just more subtle than I thought it would be. This glass IS awesome.

Gotta get me some Psyche...

~Rachelle