Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-06-30, 2:57pm

Default re-working a marble

I just finished a vortex marble. I think I did not let it cool enough before putting it in the kiln and the surface has a spot that is marred. Is it possible to put it in the kiln, bring it up to temp, and rework it to get the blemish off of it?
Old 2009-06-30, 3:00pm

If it's boro, yes you can. If it's not boro, I soubt if you can. Never tried any other.

Greg
Old 2009-06-30, 3:40pm
Yeah me!

I have done it with large beads(104) never marbles. I just posted a bead the cracked twice and I healed it both times, second time was the charm! LOL
If it is 104 I would recommend heating it up in the kiln first and then very very slowly heating it in the torch. There is a great likely hood that it will crack though, and being a marble, it may not be fixable if it cracks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-06-30, 3:57pm
Borovangelist

I've never done it with soft, but boro yes. I fixed a couple recently.

Bring it to temp in the kiln, let it soak a little. Connect to a punty, give it a 2 count to solidify the connection, then bring it out into a bushy flame to warm the rest of the way. Good luck!

|
|
Old 2009-06-30, 5:11pm
ManBearPig

You can do it with any type of glass. If it's borosilicate, throw it in the kiln, turn it on, and let it soak for an hour or so at temperature before taking it out. If it's soft glass, ramp it up slow (200 degrees/hour), let it soak, then work it.

Old 2009-07-01, 5:10am

Thanks for the info. I will give it a try.
Old 2009-07-01, 6:33am

Bring it up slowly to about 1050 and let it soak for an hour, then bring it out on a boro punty and introduce carefully into the flame. That's how I work with large murrini parts for final assembly.
For the punty, make a flat tip on a boro rod and smear just a touch of 104 on it before you do the pickup. A soft glass punty will crack and drop your piece on the table, then the piece will break. DAMHIKT

Robert