Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-01-28, 5:40pm
I need more boro stuff

Default CIM Hades & Tuxedo

What is the different between those 2?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-01-28, 9:19pm
Sheila

I know the Hades is more intense than Moretti/Vetrofond, and I think the Tuxedo is just a regular black. At least that's the impression I have of Tuxedo (I haven't tried it). Maybe someone can say something different?

Old 2009-01-28, 9:36pm
It's all about the color.

I just got my shipment in today. I'll try to give it a try soon and let you know. I barely had time to open the box today.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2009-01-28, 11:31pm
I need more boro stuff

Thanks Sheila and Kay.

Old 2009-01-29, 12:56am
Entropy increasing....

From what I read, Tuxedo is a black that is made with a gray base instead of purple, so it stays black. Hades is like intense black, it will crawl and it does cool things with silver and loves the silver glass.

I have some CIM Charcoal which is so dark a gray that it looks black, it's got a gray base. It's just not exactly black.
Old 2009-01-29, 1:21am
Gimme that silver glass!

I'm wondering as well .

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2009-01-29, 9:44am

If you are looking for a real not bleedy black take a look at my Precision Black Jettum.
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-01-29, 11:43am

I've got to run some errands with my son today, but i do have testing on my schedule for tonight. I have the 3 CiM blacks pulled and on my desk.

One of the first things I do to test a dense color is mix it with an equal amount of white to see what I get - which is how I found out that Vetrofond's black gives you slate blue. Then I'll test in extended heating to gauge the spread. I'll let you all know the results.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2009-01-29, 12:52pm
I need more boro stuff

You are soo cool, Kay I can't wait for the result.

Old 2009-01-29, 1:07pm
Ellyloo-YAH!

Isnt' hades the one that really helps silver glasses do their thing? It seems to love silver glasses.

Old 2009-01-29, 5:12pm

Just finished - they're sitting in the vermiculite cooling off but I thought I would give you my immediate impressions while they're still fresh in my mind.

Looking at the ends of the rods of Hades, Tuxedo, and Charcoal, all 3 look to be black.

When pulled out into a stinger, Charcoal stands apart as being more of a gray than a black, but you would kind of expect that because of the name.

Hades, when I mixed it with an equal amount of white was much stiffer than the other 2 and did not really want to become blended. I mixed it 3 times and each time as it cooled, I could see streaks of white in it. I think I had to mix 4 times before I got results I was satisfied with.

Hades seemed shinier and more reflective while hot. It also held it heat better - meaning that when I thought it had cooled enough to hold it's shape in the vermiculite, it wasn't quite.

So I guess you could say that there is kind of a continuum of blacks with Hades being the most dense, Charcoal the least, and Tuxedo in between.

When mixed down with enough white, the results are not purple like Effetre, or Slate Blue like Vetrofond. It's a Charcoal Gray.

I'll post pix later.

Old 2009-01-29, 6:13pm
I need more boro stuff

Thank you, Kay I really appreciated.
I guess I don't need to buy tuxedo. Plenty Hades to play with

Old 2009-01-29, 9:58pm
Life is change. Love it

Tuxedo is a lot cheaper but doesn't seem to get the same reactions with silver that I get with Hades. I think it is a great black for dots, surface decorations, really anything requiring a nice dense black. It is good in twisties too, it seems to maintain it's colour well.

Old 2009-01-29, 10:50pm
I need more boro stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn M View Post
Tuxedo is a lot cheaper but doesn't seem to get the same reactions with silver that I get with Hades. I think it is a great black for dots, surface decorations, really anything requiring a nice dense black. It is good in twisties too, it seems to maintain it's colour well.
Is that mean I need to buy it since cheaper than Hades?

Old 2009-01-30, 8:25am
Life is change. Love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by gubnavnania View Post
Is that mean I need to buy it since cheaper than Hades?

If you want a really good black that seems to maintain it's colour even when laid pretty thinly over white, then yes!

Old 2009-01-30, 9:29am
Gimme that silver glass!

Anyone tried Tuxedo to see if it spreads just like Hades (or moretti intense black)?

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2009-01-30, 12:55pm

Yes. I'm having a down day today, but as soon as I anneal them (will be a day or so), I'll post pix here.

Old 2009-01-30, 11:43pm
Old Time Bead Maker

In my most humble opinion...Hades is BLACK!!! To me it's as black as Intense Black that costs a small fortune. It doesn't bleed, it does not let light through so it is a dense, opaque black. Tuxedo is the equivalent of Effetre/Vetrofond black...kind of purple-y blue/violet. Pull a stinger with regular black and it looks dark purple right? Pretty much the same with Tuxedo. And Charcoal...is like a very dark transparent gray. I wouldn't even call it black.
It all depends on your application. I can't live without Hades...I could live without Tuxedo and Charcoal but....I chose not to...
AND....if you're into a nice reduction/oil slick look, use Hades in a reduction flame. You'll get a beautiful rainbow effect. SOOOOooo you can't live without Hades either...

Sue

This us as close to a web site as I want to get at the moment...