Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-02-25, 4:02pm

Default Pulled Stringer and Twisty Holder Find!!!

Yea for me and passing along my find to you Went looking for the perfect stringer/twisty holder. Been on the hunt for ice cube trays for water bottles but they are all silicone and lay down flat now days. I knew I saw what I wanted but alas....none could be found. Headed to Michaels and found these! They are perfect! You could take them out of the container (it's cheap and flimsy) and attach them to a piece of wood (which I bought) but I kind of like it the way it is! I can just turn it around. Now I have a spot for every color twisty. (Bought 2). If you to Michaels, check out the wedding isle! Don't get the 100 container as it doesn't have a holder. I don't think!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-02-25, 4:19pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Love this, thank you for sharing!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-02-25, 4:23pm

You can even label the side since half the time we have no idea on most colors.

Old 2012-02-25, 4:37pm
Happy Inner Dragon

A great idea! Would definitely work for me.
I have no idea what you'd find in wedding stores these days. I wouldn't know whether they were available in this country, even. But worth finding out! Thanks

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2012-02-25, 4:42pm

Thanks for the idea.

Available as an audiobook

Susan Hasler--torch-wielding novelist
Old 2012-02-25, 7:35pm
Triumphantly Knit!

I like that better than my straws, which are getting unruly....

thank you verrrrrry much!

namaste
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2012-02-25, 9:34pm

I plan on going to Michael's tomorrow and see if I can find any of those here! I love it!

ETA: Michael's has a 40% off coupon that starts tomorrow.

Old 2012-02-25, 10:08pm
Burn baby, burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reenie View Post
Been on the hunt for ice cube trays for water bottles
You can get them at Walmart.
Old 2012-02-26, 1:42am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
You can get them at Walmart.
Not at my Walmart And we have 5 of them in a 10 mile radius!

Old 2012-02-26, 3:01am
professional gimme fiver

Aren't you smart, that's perfect! Way better than my "I'll just put it over there" stringer spot....

Old 2012-02-26, 6:32am
Glass-aholic

There was somebody here on LE a whole back who was giving away plastic test tubes about this size. I took him up on the offer and he sent me oh a hundred or so! They were in foam already too! I cut it and made a tier out of it and had a very similar stringer situation. . These are also great for holding small amounts of Frit, glow powder, pixie dust and my favorite... Seed beads! They work pretty good too if you pack them into any size small vase/jar candle holder whatever. I had some extras that did not fit in the rack that I put in 2 jars that fit inside one another with room for an inner and outer ring of tubes. The center tube I propped up with a foam marshmallow shape, so it was tiered. They are easily secured (tightened up) with rubber bands if they wobble a bit. It worked great! Nice find!

Ps a lot of dr offices/hospitals will give you the "expired" empty or with a little sterile goo in the bottom, test tubes in many sizes for free (in a seeled tray, or partially opened tray) You just have to ask try an independent testing lab too. Around here we have "quest diagnostics" all they do is take blood.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-02-26, 7:20am

Default Test tube racks

Hi-- Another thing that might work for you are test tube racks. You can do a search on ebay or google for test tube racks... or conical tube racks. You can also try LabDepot.com or other sites like it, but ebay would be cheaper. (Or if you know any scientists who can just grab one from work! ) I have some pictures below. You can look for 15-mL conical tubes, too, which come in a styrofoam tray that holds the tubes. But, styrofoam may not be the best choice, so you can get some metal test tube racks to rack them up in instead. (I also love specialtybottle.com for little containers for frit, etc).

lisa

I'm having so much fun melting glass that I have actually started wearing jewelry!

Old 2012-02-26, 8:26am
apt to wander....

I love love love this idea!! I've been looking for the same Ice cube trays Thanks so much for sharing !

Melissa
Old 2012-02-26, 5:06pm
Burn baby, burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reenie View Post
Not at my Walmart And we have 5 of them in a 10 mile radius!
Sorry! They usually only had 1 or 2 at a time, and I haven't bought them in a while.
Old 2012-02-26, 5:43pm
Naysayer

oh nice idea!
Old 2012-02-26, 6:51pm

way cool - thanks for !!

Jen
Old 2012-02-26, 8:28pm

Great idea!
Old 2012-02-27, 9:55am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

I bit the bullet and bought the ice cube trays off Amazon this week - hated to pay for the shipping, but I was afraid by the time my shed set up begins I wouldn't be able to find them at ALL. LOVE the test tube trays, though - really getting into making my own frit, and the magnetic spice boxes I'm using are just too bulky for the small quantities I need to store, test tubes might be just perfect!

L-111

Old 2012-02-27, 11:05am

I picked up two of the OP find at Michaels today for 6.29 each. They also had the spice tins with see through top for frit storage. 30 pack for 13.99

Old 2012-02-27, 2:21pm
They see me rollin'...

Thanks for the idea, Reenie! I was thinking about it and then remembered that I have a whole case of glass test tubes I got when the school where I worked closed.

I had been thinking that the test tubes would be good for making beads out of glass tubing. I don't know what kind of glass it is, though. But it would be even better to hold stringer!

I should buy some stoppers too...I could use some of the tubes to hold things, like seed beads and my jewelry saw blades.

-Patti

-Patti
Old 2012-02-27, 3:00pm

You know, you could even use your "toho" seed bead vials as well. Michaels has some wood pieces that are flat and long and you could just glue it on to the board. Even Thompson Emamels that Frantz sells are in containers that would work well too. I use those for my twisties since they are thicker.

Old 2012-02-27, 3:58pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

sigh... all ya'll are dangerous! I just bought 250 glass testtubes & matching corks off ebay and 2 of the colored wire test tube holders Lisa showed in her post above... I should be all set for frit and stringer storage!

L-111

Old 2012-02-28, 1:19am
Naysayer

haha Pat you're too funny, totally 'go big or go home'

Renee I use the seed bead tubes now, but I don't bead anymore so I never have enough, this is perfect!
Old 2012-02-28, 9:27am

Pat - I've been looking at test tubes on Ebay too. What size did you end up with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eregel View Post
sigh... all ya'll are dangerous! I just bought 250 glass testtubes & matching corks off ebay and 2 of the colored wire test tube holders Lisa showed in her post above... I should be all set for frit and stringer storage!
Old 2012-02-28, 4:16pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

The tubes I bought are 16mm x 150mm - not because I specifically wanted that size, but because that size would work for frit storage AND I could buy not only the whole case relatively cheap, the seller had the matching corks, too. I like buying stuff like this in bulk - I do a lot of weird eBay stuff, and something like frit might be cool packed in boro test tubes with pretty corks...

FYI - there's a used test tube holder out there really cheap compared to what I paid for the new ones, item # 160746642795.

L-111

Old 2012-02-29, 9:29am

Pat - thanks for the info!
Old 2012-02-29, 10:39am
Angel's Mom

I got one of these at Hobby Lobby last week. Love it! Made a bunch of enameled stringers and they worked perfect.

And there's a 40% coupon online this week.

Thanks for the idea Reenie!
Old 2012-02-29, 11:25am

Genius!
Old 2012-02-29, 1:25pm

and then if you want to get really wild and crazy (although maybe clear is more practical), you can get these:

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/6-sh...280CR1620.html
Old 2012-02-29, 1:44pm
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

http://www.etsy.com/listing/91647997...-rod-organizer

This is what I have and it's wonderful! Love it... Would need 2 in fact!