Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2008-12-15, 4:43pm

Default Nikon P80, anyone with info?

I've been using a Nikon 990 for years and love it, but the 3mp is on the low side now, so I was looking at the Nikon P80, but the 18x wide-angle lens kind of scares me. Anyone have one or know anything about this camera?

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Blog
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-12-16, 9:31am

Hi Pam!

I don't have experience with the P80, so I went to Nikon's website. It looks like you can't change the lens, so you may want to take a bead to a store that carries it to be sure it will be able to focus on something so small and fill the frame.

Good luck!
Mary
Old 2008-12-16, 10:16am

Thanks, Mary. I did try that and it seems to work fine, but................my last camera was over $900 and this one just seems a lot less expensive. I really don't want to spend another $900 on a camera, so I was just hoping someone would know something about it. I appreciate your help.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2008-12-16, 6:58pm

No problem, Pam. Good luck!

Mary
Old 2008-12-17, 4:22pm

Pam, it does have a macro mode. I'm hoping to find one under the tree next week myself. I love my Nikon D40 for studio work and general photography, but for times when I'm out and about, and especially at the kids' school events, the long zoom lens is really appealing, and the camera alone costs less than half what the zoom lens I want for the D40. I have a PDF copy of the P80 manual; I'll be happy to send it to you. PM me with your email address if you want.

-Diane

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2008-12-17, 4:36pm
In search of her path....

Pam you might also want to check out FujiFilms S2000 Wow it has some great aspects to it and ive been really happy. It has macro and SUPER macro where you can get right now onto things. It also has natural light modes and natural light with flash which is cool takes 2 pics...anyway it also does videos w/sound. Its just a great all in one point n shoot and I have had Fujis before and been very happy with them. Its around $280 or sometimes oin sale for $230 and its a 10+mp

Heres a few places that have it
http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-FineP...e=UTF8&s=photo

HSN has it too I beleive and you can do flexpays on it and have till January something or other to return it if you decide you dont like it.
HSN Fuji S2000HD

One of the nice things about digitals is that the price of components and the parts to make them have came way down since the Nikon 990 came out so its much cheaper now to make them so the prices are coming way down to.

Prints for sale in my
!

Last edited by IF-Designs; 2008-12-17 at 4:41pm.
Old 2008-12-17, 5:38pm

Thanks, Karin. I appreciate your help............but, it's a little late!! My dh ordered my P80 today!!!! I can always send it back if I don't like it, but with the 1 cm focal distance on Macro, it seems like it should be okay. And thanks for the manual offer, but I downloaded it yesterday (great minds think alike!). I hope I like this as much as my 990 or my Nikon SLR camera. I'm excited! BTW, it was $250 on Amazon if you're still thinking about getting one.

My Blog
Old 2008-12-17, 5:57pm

Looks like you're taken care of, Pam! Let us know how you like it.

-Diane

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2008-12-17, 6:11pm
In search of her path....

The close macro is what I love about my fujis I think theirs is about the same. I have gotten some amazing pics of change/money etc with it. I am glad your new P80 is on its way! hehe let us know how you like it!

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2008-12-17, 6:45pm

I will, of course. I did the most research I could and still am a little uncertain, but..........hey, it's a present!

ETA: I know almost nothing about cameras, so this one seems to give me lots of options.

My Blog

Last edited by pam; 2008-12-17 at 6:47pm.