LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Old 2013-03-07, 10:10pm

Default Hagstom's DVD's

Hi all,

I am considering purchasing some DVD's and was hoping to get some comments from someone who may have viewed them already.

Specifically speaking - the Hagstom Chaos Fume Opal Pendant and the Hagstrom Gold Fume Flower Implosion videos. (Possibly the Hagstrom Implosion Turtle Pendant)

Any insight as to quality of the recording and what is being taught would be appreciated.
Old 2013-03-23, 1:02am

Try getting the VLC player....it allows you to play dvd's that normally would only play on a DVD player to work on your computer ....and the best part......it's a free download.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All my children have paws
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Proud Member of "YOU PEOPLE" 9.13.11
Old 2013-03-23, 9:26am

I haven't viewed the Hagstrom DVDs in a while, but one odd thing about viewing them on a computer is that when the first screen comes up, you must do a mouse click on that screen in order to proceed to the main menu. Until you do that, you have no control over the video player.
Old 2013-03-23, 6:32pm

Hagstrom Chaos Fume Opal Pendant

Running time approx. 79 minutes with 73 minutes of actual content.

This was the first DVD mentioned in the first post of this thread. This DVD is actually volume 2 of the borosilicate bead and pendant series, and Mr. Hagstrom mentions that he covers a bit more about the fuming process in volume 1.

Quality: This is a self produced production done with a mounted video camera. All views are from a single aspect. The video is not high definition. The focus is soft because the video is shot through a filter (probably ACE 202). The camera was set on autofocus, so on a couple of occasions, the video shifts out of focus, but this did not affect the presentation much. I would say that for tutorial purposes, the video and sound quality was good, but more demanding viewers might not think so. I am not a frequent YouTube user, since I don't have the bandwidth for streaming video, but I would say that it is at least as good as a YouTube video.

The presentation is done in real time and as far as I could tell, there were no steps omitted or shown in fast forward mode. (I remember noting that I did not see the removal of the pendant from the pontil/punty, but I was distracted several times while watching the video.) Mr. Hagstrom used the technique of explaining what he was going to accomplish and then demonstrating the procedure, step by step.

Subjects:
1) Materials
2) Making the chaos fume cane (25 minutes) with the inside-out technique
Jointing different sizes of tubing, flame cutting
Fuming: applying the metal layer, then reducing the layer
Building the pattern
Closing and condensing the tube
3) Making the pendant body by folding cane (20 minutes)
4) Preparing, attaching, and encasing the opal (20 minutes)
5) Finishing the pendant

The entire procedure was one using what appeared to be the inner fire of a Phantom burner, which is supported by Mr. Hagstrom's description of the inner fire as a Lynx.

Last edited by De Anza Art Glass Club; 2013-03-23 at 7:14pm. Reason: Corrected running time
Old 2013-03-23, 8:14pm

would that mean that the other video mentioned above is volume 1? And thank you for the review. exactly what i was looking for.
Old 2013-03-24, 1:21am

Hagstrom Gold Fumed Flower Implosion Pendant

The Chaos Fume Opal Pendant tutorial is also known as "Boro Bead and Pendant Tricks Vol. 2"

The Gold Fumed Flower Implosion Pendant tutorial has the subtitle "Fuming blow tubes, welds and tube implosion" is also known as "Borosilicate Bead and Pendant Basics Vol. 1" or "Borosilicate Tubing Tricks Vol. 1".

The video length is approximately 62 minutes with 60 minutes of actual content. The additional footage at the end of the video includes some pictures of the pendant, baby pictures, and pet pictures. (Vol. 2 had a few minutes at the end with a starry background.)

Quality: The quality is similar to the first tutorial, with some differences. The Chaos Fume Opal Pendant tutorial was viewed full screen, while I spent some time viewing the Gold Fumed Flower Implosion Pendant tutorial in smaller windows. The soft focus effect noted in the other summary was because of the full screen playback. The focus when viewed in a small window is sharp. I did not notice any instances in Volume 1 where the focus drifted as it did in Volume 2.

While Volume 2 was shown, for the most part, as a continuous session with a single view aspect, Volume 1 uses two different views. While most steps are shown looking at the burner from the right, other steps are shown from over Mr. Hagstrom's left shoulder. In some cases, the same step was shown in one view and then repeated in the other view. There are breaks between some steps, possibly to skip over the application of some dots in the pattern.

Both Volume 1 and Volume 2 are a single session, by which I mean there are no chapter breaks. Volume 1 did have a few breaks separated by a ripple visual effect, but there is no way to go to the start of a
topic.

Subjects:

1) Materials given in the form of text in the foreground. The materials are not pictured in a group as they were on the Vol. 2 DVD.

2) Blowtube preparation (approximately 10 minutes)
Same as the preparation shown in DVD Volume 2, with a bit more explanation. On this Vol. 1 DVD, Mr. Hagstrom makes it a point to bring the work closer to the camera to show a closeup of how the tubing should look after some steps. However, instead of preparing the blowtube for inside-out decoration, he prepares a bubble for decoration. He shows which areas of the bubble will be decorated.

3) Fuming and decoration of the bubble (approximately 15 minutes)
Use of coins for metal pieces.
Placement of fuming material and work in the flame.
Safety

4) Implosion (approximately 10 minutes)
Including topics such as flattening the art, avoiding overimplosion, and focusing heat.

5) Completing the artwork, separating the artwork from the bubble, and building/shaping the pendant (approximately 25 minutes).

In this video, Mr. Hagstrom said that he usually uses the outer fire of his burner, but is limiting the use in the video to the inner fire so that the steps can be seen more clearly. He uses what looks to be a Phantom burner with a L-shaped marver on top. (For the Vol. 2 tutorial, the mounted marver was not installed.)
Old 2013-03-24, 8:10am

Thank you again.
Old 2013-03-25, 12:09am

Implosion turtle pendant

Assuming that I've done everything the same as with the other two Hagstrom Art Glass DVDs, this one is different in that the video starts right away rather than having the frame at the beginning that requires a mouse click. Actually, I've found that it does have the same screen (the title page) as the other two, but on my player, the video did not default to the title page, but started playing right away.

The running time is approximately 61 minutes and nearly all of that is actual content.

This video starts out differently by showing the final product and the implosion before starting the tutorial.

Mostly continuous, with some minor breaks between major steps. These breaks seemed to be mostly to include closeups rather than omitting repetitive procedures, except that some heating steps may have been shortened.

Quality:
The recording is of the same quality as the other Hagstrom Art Glass DVDs. The video aspect has changed and all the steps, with the possible exception of closeups, are shown from a view that would be looking over the artist's right shoulder.

Subjects:
1, Materials
One frame with text including the materials required. The equipment is introduced during the video and is not listed at the beginning. The only specialized piece of equipment used is a vin pin.

2. Blowtube preparation and decoration (approximately 10 minutes)
I would say that his technique for cutting the tube in the flame is slightly different.
Preparation of accessory glass
Creation of a maria at the end of the blowtube

3. Implosion (approximately 7 minutes)
Mr. Hagstrom's explanation of an implosion on a maria is slightly different from implosion starting from a bubble. This explanation seems a bit more detailed than the for the fumed flower implosion project.

4. Building the pendant and sculpting the turtle (approximately 43 minutes)
Includes a discussion of how to vary the final result by striking.
Use of a tool to create a lined effect (may not be a significant secret, but I won't go into detail in respect to the artist).

Mr. Hagstrom appears to be using the same Phantom burner. This one has a Blast Shield marver with a clear glass shield. (I could not determine whether this was the high heat UV shield or the high heat IR/UV shield.) From what I could see, all steps were performed using the inner fire only, but I am not familiar enough with the Phantom outer fire to state that with any certainty.