Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2009-05-11, 7:25am

Default Old studion to new studio

I have been reading some of the threads & looking at how people are adapting spaces for a studio & thought I would share my experiences. We moved from 5 acres last year to a smaller almost one acre property.

I struggled quite a bit with getting a studio at all because we are planning on moving again & I wasn't sure it would be worth the trouble but after a few months I realized I really needed to torch so what to do?

The house was just too small to torch in & we didn't want to build something we would just have to leave so we came up with a trailer conversion.

I was lucky enough to find an old 17ft travel trailer for under $1000 & with some paint & lots of elbow grease we ended up with something that works really well.

Those of you who saw my last studio know it had some pretty stiff competition but I can honestly say I am a happy 'camper'. I have enough room to torch as well as make jewelry & it is a lovely bright space to work in.

I worked in it all winter with just a little space heater.
Here's a pic of the outside-
(I don't have any pics of the inside but I guess I can take some if anyone is interested.)
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Back in my day, we had nine planets.
Old 2009-05-11, 7:32am

Location: Im in Lawrenceburg TN .. about 1 1/2 south of Nashville

How absolutly perfect !
You KNOW we want inside pics !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it."*John Irving*

Old 2009-05-11, 7:32am
Pyromaniac

Yes! We are interested!

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2009-05-11, 8:52am

yes please! Would love to see the inside!
I have been really interested in converting an old camper into a new studio so I could get it out of my house.
Old 2009-05-11, 8:57am

Yes, please, we'd love to see the inside! Now you can torch wherever you go - cool!

Linda
Old 2009-05-11, 11:24am

I took some pics of the inside. I had the camera on the wrong setting, every thing looks blue but oh well, I am not about to take them over!
The first ones are of the torch side-
Attached Images

Old 2009-05-11, 11:25am

These ones are of the jewelry making side. Behind the mirrored door are my two concentrators.
Attached Images

Old 2009-05-11, 11:29am

Just noticed how messy everything looks. A normal person would have cleaned up before taking pics. Sorry about that!

The little roof-mounted tv/radio/CDplayer my husband bought me is awesome. I can turn it, so I can watch it when I am making beads or jewelry

Last edited by flameonglass; 2009-05-11 at 7:00pm.
Old 2009-05-11, 2:06pm
Formerly Thetabird

Love it, love it, love it, did I say I love it?!!! I have been watching craigslist wanting to do the same thing. You did a wonderful job! Donna

How I lost 50 lbs

Old 2009-05-11, 2:24pm

Quote:
Love it, love it, love it, did I say I love it?!!! I have been watching craigslist wanting to do the same thing. You did a wonderful job! Donna
Thanks Donna,
We actually did find this one on craigslist so I am sure you will find one too!

Old 2009-05-11, 4:58pm
honorary bead lady

WOW that is a cool space!
Old 2009-05-11, 5:47pm

Now THAT is cool! Thank you for sharing.
Jen
Old 2009-05-11, 5:48pm

I love this. You did a great job and everything's so organized. And I really like the idea that you can take it with you if you move.
Great job!!

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2009-05-11, 5:50pm
Salt Box Beads

Thank you so much for the pics...I was getting tired of looking at mine and it is so nice to see how someone else did their studio.

I love Pic #3...looks like the heater is your chair... no wonder you stay warm..LOL

The jewelry area is awesome but the entertainment combo is my favorite part!!!!

Cute cute studio, Good job!
Lorraine
Old 2009-05-11, 6:02pm

Quote:
I love Pic #3...looks like the heater is your chair... no wonder you stay warm..LOL
I actually stand when I torch, always have. I love the tv/radio/cd player too.
My husband was so sweet to buy it.

The one thing that might really surprise most people is just how much room & storage there is in one of these trailers.
(At least it surprised me but I have never used one for camping.)

Also, everything is already built in, the shelves, drawers, counter etc & the wiring was all there. That saved us a ton of work & money!

Last edited by flameonglass; 2009-05-11 at 6:08pm.
Old 2009-05-11, 6:34pm

If anyone's thinking of using one of these for a studio here is how it worked for me-

Electrical- used existing. I can run two concentrators & my little Aim kiln as well as lights & tv. (Can't run the heater when I am working or I blow a fuse but the kiln & torch are enough to keep the entire space warm in the winter.) Lights were all in the right places for torching as well as my jewelry making luckily enough.

Hoses - used the holes that were left when we ripped out the plumbing. Again they were all in the right places & it worked out perfectly.

Concentrators - fit in the bathroom space. I can keep the door closed when I torch, so it is really nice & quiet.

Counter-Just laid sheet metal over the existing counter. It was exactly the right width, no cutting needed.

Security- padlock on the door & everything is locked up.

Ventilation? I fudged a little here. There are windows all around ( plus the sunroof) & I just open everything when I torch. I just don't use enamels etc for now. If you want you can put a fan over the torch, there actually was a rangehood installed in that area but it bugged me so I tore it out.

Old 2009-05-12, 4:32pm

Thank you for posting the pictures, what a great arrangement! I love seeing what other folks do - it's inspiring. If you find you need better ventilation, bet you could put a good sized fan on the sunroof and vent the whole room. With the windows open for make-up air, you could perhaps get a nice bit of natural airconditioning on warm days at the same time.

Linda
Old 2009-05-13, 7:01am

Quote:
If you find you need better ventilation, bet you could put a good sized fan on the sunroof and vent the whole room.
That's a great idea Linda.
For now there are 6 windows & the door & sunroof vent & they seem to do the trick. Like I mentioned I am pretty much sticking to melting just glass for the time being & not too worried about it.

Old 2009-05-13, 8:01am
MacGalver

How great to see your interior pics! I've been watching this thread with interest, I'm in the process of converting a longer trailer into a workspace. My floorplan is extremely similar to yours... funny how the space just lends itself to that setup. The main difference is mine will have a daybed seating area and a long counter for other jewelry making equipment, etc. toward the back.

I actually would have gone with a shorter trailer given the choice, but the one we found was exactly what I wanted, just a bit longer. I'm sure having the extra space will come in handy in the future. I too love all the windows and light flooding in! My studio was in a sunny bedroom of an old adobe house until a couple years ago, but I've been struggling along with a dark garage since we moved. I'm really looking forward to being out in the light again!

Jo

p.s. Here's a pic of my baby (her name is Gloria):

Old 2009-05-13, 9:45am

Hi Jo,
That looks awesome & in really good shape too.
I can't wait to see what you do with it.
You will be glad of the extra space at some point, even if you just use it for storing glass. I can't really fit all my sheetglass in mine.
If you are making jewelry etc, of course it will sprawl.

Where are you doing all this? It looks very similar to the interior of BC where we moved from last year.

Oh I checked out your etsy & see you are in New Mexico!

Last edited by flameonglass; 2009-05-13 at 9:49am.
Old 2009-05-13, 11:28am
are we there yet?

I love this idea. I've been trying to convince my husband that this is the way I want to go instead of a shed. But, our homeowners assoc. will not allow boats, campers or trailers to be parked on the streets or lots. I even asked one of the attorneys that I work for if he could get around that and he said it would be pretty hard after he looked at our covenants and restrictions.

But, this would be so perfect as you already have the electrical outlets and propane hook-up inside the trailer. AND if you ever move you just take your studio with you.

Oh, and I'm anxious to see how Gloria turns out.

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well make beads. jazz
Old 2009-05-13, 12:02pm
MacGalver

Actually, the picture was taken where we bought her, outside of Flagstaff. I wish we had that kind of space around her! Right now her home is between the garage and back wall of our property, not nearly as picturesque.

Janet, one of my biggest reasons was the cost difference. A shed half the size of Gloria would have cost close to $2000 without wiring or anything! Would your homeowner's allow a smaller trailer under a carport? They do make those carport kits that are about $700 around here, you could put up lattice and grow vines, your trailer studio would be hidden from view. You would probably still spend less than a shed, even if you included the cost of a carport!

And yes, I will be posting pics as soon as she is all set up inside. The longer length makes her feel quite roomy inside.

Jo

Last edited by Frit Diva; 2009-05-13 at 12:08pm.
Old 2009-05-13, 6:22pm
Corgi Cult Member

What a great "hot" trailer! Have fun in there!

Old 2009-05-13, 9:22pm
are we there yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrlartist View Post
Janet, one of my biggest reasons was the cost difference. A shed half the size of Gloria would have cost close to $2000 without wiring or anything! Would your homeowner's allow a smaller trailer under a carport? They do make those carport kits that are about $700 around here, you could put up lattice and grow vines, your trailer studio would be hidden from view. You would probably still spend less than a shed, even if you included the cost of a carport!
Jo
See, that's what I keep telling my husband -- he wouldn't have to run electricity to it, like he would with a shed, and in the long run that would be cheaper.

However, even if I could talk him into it, I know it wouldn't get past the HOA. Although, the carpot/canopy is a good idea -- just that we only have 9' from the bump-out of our garage to the neighbor's lot line. The bump-out is where I'm currently set up.

Now, behind the bump-out would be ideal, but that is where our heat pump unit sits.

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well make beads. jazz
Old 2009-05-14, 9:53am

I'm loving it. Can't wait till I move. Nice to see that this can be done. I've been searching for a trailer where I live and where I plan to move just for my studio. Thanks for sharing and for the inspiration.

Minor
Old 2009-05-15, 6:51am

What an awesome and do-able solution! All of my work areas are currently taking residence in rooms in my home. I love the idea of walking away and locking it up, or, escaping out to the studio : )
My husband and I have toyed with the idea of one of those Construction Trailers that they set up when contractors come in and build big malls or whatever.... But it you think about it, the travel trailer is a better solution, because of the cabinets, counters, bathroom, water etc.....
This post is an inspiration. Thanks....

Old 2009-05-15, 12:58pm

Just wanted to mention small school buses are a great option too.
We looked at one that was about the same price as the travel trailor.
It was a little Blue Bird & had a ton of room. Really cute.

Last edited by flameonglass; 2009-05-15 at 2:43pm.
Old 2009-05-15, 8:09pm

I have long thought that these trailers look like the perfect solution to the homeowner's insurance issues, and I have dreamed of having one for that reason as well as the how the form fits the function. However, I doubt the city would approve of long time parking of even a small one in our driveway. No homeowner's association to deal with, but the city can be quite restrictive on this sort of thing. Still... I dream.

I read someone's suggestion for looking on Craig's List for a travel trailer. I don't see a category for them. I looked in "general" and found a lot of really interesting things, but no travel trailers. Maybe it is just the area I live in.

Old 2009-05-16, 5:06am
Formerly Thetabird

Look under RVs. Donna

How I lost 50 lbs

Old 2009-06-23, 10:24pm

that is so cool...you get my vote for studio...very creative...if you don't mind me asking what is that square screen ontop of your torch? looks cool do you mind me asking where you got it from...thanks Scrappy