Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc.

Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc. -- Upcoming classes, retreats, special events, Get togethers. Please delete your thread when the event is over.

Old 2009-08-13, 10:13am
Mr. Cellophane

Default Midwest Glass Experience Feb 2010!!!

REGISTRATION BEGINS SEPT 15!!!!

This year we will add more torches, new classes, nationally recognized instructors, all held at one of the most exciting glass studios in the Midwest..
40 torches this year and....drum roll please...here is our list of teachers.

Andrea Guarino http://www.andreaguarino.com/
Ofilia Cinta http://www.ofiliaartglass.com/
Steve Sizelove http://www.stevesizelove.com/gallerypage.html
Kate Mckinnon http://www.katemckinnon.com/
Libby Leuchtman www.thirddegreeglassfactory.com

You don't want to miss out on this one of a kind experience.

Vendor Night - Valentines Night Bash - Bead Bazaar - Hot Shop - Kilnworking - Flameworking

Registration will open in the fall. Spots will fill quickly. Please follow this link to fill out a form to receive all updates via email.

http://www.thirddegreeglassfactory.c...3/Default.aspx

Don't forget to scroll down on the page to see a slide show of last years event!

IMPORTANT UPDATE CLASSES LISTED BELOW

Andreas Classes
Off Mandrel and Glass Powders
Learn how to make my signature off mandrel hearts. We will work with glass powders to get some really nice reactions. Learn how to create a hole using a tungsten poker. We will also make some beads using the powders. I will teach you how to apply silver mesh and fine silver wire as well. Also we will make twisted canes and apply them to the hearts and the beads.

Silver Fuming – Making Galaxy and Moth Wing Beads
Learn how to fume using fine silver to change the appearance of Effetre glass. In this 4 hour class we will make some moth wing and galaxy beads. See how fuming with silver can give you new colors to work with.

Ofilia’s Classes
Exploring Bullseye
The workshop will focus on using the various forms of glass for torch application. It will include frit use, sheet glass and dichroic applications. Creating “depth” in your layering of colors to give your surface rich effects. Take advantage of the using the properties of the glass forms, exploring beyond the convenient rod form. Simple concentric circle murrine will also be covered.

Hollow Fish
Figurative hollow fish with attitude! Take your hollow bead to a fanciful figurative fish. Learn all my tips for making my all time favorite bead. Figurative back ground experience not needed, but if you practice your hollow shapes, it will be helpful to get a move on in this timeframe.
Workshops will be taught in Bullseye glass, but the techniques covered can be translated to any soft glass of preference.

Steve Sizelove Classes
Fundamentals of Hollow Flameworking:
In this class Steve will help students with core techniques used to work boro tubing.
Pulling point, blowing bubbles, opening goblet cups, and flaring feet will be covered.
Students will also get an introduction to working with traditional glass blowing
tools like jacks and diamond shears

Out of the Clear and into the Color:
Steve will demonstrate intermediate to advanced techniques used to create colored
boro tubing. With a goal of a unique scent bottle, sections of the tubing will
be manipulated and re-assembled to illustrate the versatility of boro glass.
Students are encouraged to work outside or their comfort zone and try new thing.
Let’s have fun!

Libby’s Classes
Hollow core vessels
Learn how to created a core vessel using a mandrel, steel wool and bead release. Find out
the secrets to making sure the core vessel form will produce a beautiful piece and not break. Also covered will be how to make ribbon cane, latticino, and how to apply them to your vessel.

Murinni Window Bead class
Want to make a cool peace sign murrini, how about a ying/yang sign? This class will teach you to make a beautiful murinni and apply it in a window bead so it will not smear and be crisp and clean. This class will give you the tools to create your own murrini’s at home, and learn new skill set. This is an off mandrel class.

Kate’s Classes
Ring class
Make several and exciting and sturdy rings with your handmade glass. Kate will show you how to make ring bases that can hold beads on wires, rivets, or in settings that are simple, but designed to fit your beads. Make your own settings from scratch, or purchase kits from Kate that begin with already-prepared bases.

Setting Lampworked Beads
Learn to set your beads in handmade metal mechanisms that both showcase and protect them.
This session will show you how to set simple beads, as well as great tricks for hanging or showcasing large, unusually shaped, or otherwise “difficult” beads into simple, one-of-a-kind settings. Make your own settings from scratch, or purchase kits from Kate that begin with prepared elements.

Melissa’s Classes
Intro to Resin
This class will introduce you how to use resin in jewelry and other applications. We'll go over safety precautions, proper mixing and pouring. Embed small objects, images, paper etc to great effect! We'll also go over how to use pigments for vibrant, colorful pieces. No experience is necessary!

Switchback Canes (aka wig-wags)
Learn to make amazing switchback canes that produce an amazing effect! It's almost like pulling a twistie, but just a little more complicated. We'll go over heat control, tips on how to make them smooth and show how to apply them to your beads.

In addition to these classes there will also be Hot shop, kiln, basic silversmithing, lapidary and pate vere classes.
Look for those descriptions soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Libby

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Libby L.; 2009-09-13 at 2:22pm.
Old 2009-08-13, 7:35pm
Broken

Libby I SO want to come to this, your link doesn't work? Can you post info as to what the closet city to fly into would be? Hotels close to the event etc?

Old 2009-08-13, 7:59pm
Cancer SUCKS!

Try this.

http://www.thirddegreeglassfactory.com/

Old 2009-08-13, 8:00pm
make beads not war

weirdness... try this Nicole!

http://www.thirddegreeglassfactory.com/Default.aspx

Fly into St. Louis Nicole, it's about 30 minutes or so from 3rd degree (and nearly my backyard).
Old 2009-08-13, 8:00pm
Cancer SUCKS!

http://www.thirddegreeglassfactory.c...3/Default.aspx

Old 2009-08-14, 7:02am
Mr. Cellophane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicker View Post
Libby I SO want to come to this, your link doesn't work? Can you post info as to what the closet city to fly into would be? Hotels close to the event etc?
Yea! Oh I so hope you can come! We are recommending the Hampton Inn near Forest Park. We are talking to them about getting rooms at a discount so stay tuned.
You can fly right into St. Louis Lambert Airport. All major airliines come into St. Louis.

It's going to be a good one!

Libby

Old 2009-08-14, 10:40am

Smile

I can't wait!!! This will be my first experience of this event, and I am so psyched!!

Old 2009-08-14, 1:37pm
Mr. Cellophane

Me too! I can't wait to see Steve Sizelove work. I have never really seen anyone use boro tubing so it will be new to me.
Can't wait to see you Ofilia!

Libby

Old 2009-08-16, 11:52am
Melt That Glass

I don't want to miss this--but not on here much anymore...hope notifications via email as well....

What a great time I had last year.

Knight Bullet, 2 cons and tanked
Old 2009-08-17, 12:09pm
Mr. Cellophane

Jan have you signed up to the facebook group? We will also post information on the Third Degree site. Let me know if you are having any problems.

Libby

Old 2009-08-17, 1:10pm
Wild at Heart!

This sounds so fun!
I'd love to come, but it's so hard during that time with volleyball tournaments and then Valentines day too. Ack! I'm going to go and check the calender! Maybe I can use that free AA ticket I have!

??
Old 2009-08-18, 7:03am
Mr. Cellophane

Ahh I finally found the video of last years Midwest Glass Experiance. It is sooo cool.
You have got to see it.

http://vimeo.com/4168738

Libby

Last edited by Libby L.; 2009-08-22 at 11:25am.
Old 2009-08-18, 7:26am
Pyromaniac

I am so excited! This is so much fun and learning packed into one great weekend!!!

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2009-08-18, 11:31am
Mr. Cellophane

Thanks for finding the video Lana!

Libby

Old 2009-08-20, 5:32am
Pyromaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby L. View Post
Thanks for finding the video Lana!
You are welcome.

Anyone who is on the fence about the MGA weekend needs to go!
You will not believe all the fun to be had there, great glassy people, and so much information packed into this weekend. Fusing, Hot shop, beads beads beads and Steve Sizelove does incredible work with boro tubing. Leave a space for me in his class for sure!

The instructors look fantastic Libby. You did such a great job last year, and this one looks even better.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2009-08-22, 11:02am
Mr. Cellophane

Thanks Lana I think it looks great too! Can't wait to see everybody.

I am getting all the class descriptions put together and will be posting information in the next couple of weeks.

Libby

Old 2009-08-22, 11:16am
In search of her path....

Hey Libby do you guys have a cost on this? A friend and I would really love to come down to this!

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2009-08-22, 11:31am
Mr. Cellophane

Karin we would love to have you!
The cost is $450 which includes a light breakfast, lunch, vendor night, Valentines party, tee shirts, and the list goes on and on.
Your glass for classes are included in the price.
We will post all the info on the Third Degree Website, our facebook page, though emails and on LE.
Let me know if you need anymore info. Here is the link to the facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/gr...id=23886648438

Libby

Old 2009-09-05, 6:14am
Mr. Cellophane

There are going to be updates soon. Sign ups begin Sept 15th.

Libby

Old 2009-09-07, 7:27am
Mr. Cellophane

Look for updates in the first post. Classes are listed with more to come.
Also some pictures of beads Andrea will be teaching.

Libby

Old 2009-09-07, 8:11pm

I so want to go to this. We might be moving though. Just will have to wait to see. Will mark this on my calendar.

Rose Leslie
Old 2009-09-08, 7:40am
Mr. Cellophane

Sure hope you can make it Rose. It is going to be a great time!

Libby

Old 2009-09-10, 10:01am
Mr. Cellophane

OPEN SIGN UPS BEGIN SEPT 15TH!!!!

The sooner you sign up the broader your class choices.
We have so many classes I am sure everyone will be happy.

Have you always wanted to blow glass? We have four glory holes, and two furnaces. We hosted the Gas Conference in 2006. Our hotshop is one of the top in the country! Lots of room to spread out!

Our Kiln Dept, has four kilns and is run by Mark Salsbury who holds a Masters Degree in Kiln work.

You don't want to miss out on this event!

Libby

Old 2009-09-13, 2:27pm
Mr. Cellophane

REGISTRATION BEGINS SEPT 15TH

$200.00 non-refundable deposit
All deposits will be timed stamped.
The earlier you sign up the wider your choice of classes, however with this years line-up you will be hard pressed to find a class you don't want to take.

I will update with a link tomorrow.

Here is a little tease of the fish that the wonderful Ofilia Cinta will be teaching.
Attached Images

Libby

Old 2009-09-17, 11:08pm
Mr. Cellophane

Spot are filling! Don't miss out.

Libby

Old 2009-09-20, 9:49am
Mr. Cellophane

Had a wonderful lunch with Kate Mckinnon (who will be teaching at Midwest Glass Experience) and she wrote a wonderful review of Third Degree.
Check it out on her website in her journal link.
http://www.katemckinnon.com/
Thanks Kate!

Libby

Old 2009-09-29, 6:52pm

Smile

Here is a picture of how I use a ribbon I pull from whispy BE sheet glass to the surface of one of my fish. It can give it a sort of etherial detail to the surface design. It will be among some of the techniques I'll be covering in the surface embellishing workshop.......

Old 2009-10-06, 3:18pm
Mr. Cellophane

The class sign up sheet was sent out today. If you didn't receive it let me know.
There are still spots open. If you haven't signed up you still have time.
Remember $200.00 holds your spot for class sign ups.
It's going to be super fun and you don't want to miss out on seeing one of the coolest studios around.

Libby

Old 2009-10-13, 5:50pm
Mr. Cellophane

If you have not sent in your class choices you need to so it ASAP.
There are still plenty of spaces left in all the flameworking class.
This is going to be a great event in a great place. If you are thinking about attending
you still have time!

Libby

Old 2009-10-20, 10:30am

I'm fortunate enough to have one of Ofilia's fish. They are quite the undertaking. It'd be worth the class just to see her make one, they are huge.

(Hi Ofilia)

-Donna

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-