Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2009-12-04, 8:53am

Default Power needs?

Ok, so I have a 12x12 shed on my property, and I want to turn it into my studio. Right now it is just a shell, so there is quite a bit to be done. I used to build houses when I was a kid, so I know the concepts of putting in windows, running electrical wire through walls and to outlets, installing insulation and flooring, and all aspects of finishing work.

However, when it came to the electrical stuff, I was the rafter monkey; meaning I was given the end of the wire, and would scurry through the rafters and along walls threading the wire through. So, I have no idea how to go about actually figuring out how much power I will need.

I'm estimating the need for 4 outlets (to run a kiln, radio, possibly the exhaust fan and possibly a space heater), and having overhead lights hardwired, and possibly the exhaust fan hardwired.

As for the heater, I am going to put in a woodburning stove, so the heater would be for heating the place while the stove got going.

So, am I correct in thinking that I will need a 220v power supply? Should I wire the building myself and then hire an electrician to hook it up to the main? Should I just pay someone to do the whole thing?
Old 2009-12-04, 9:26am
And silence is golden

Rafter Monkey ~ With the skills that you have, I would continue to research the "how-tos", and do it myself. It sounds like you have all of the major details in the right direction.

I have found that there is one more need for an outlet. If you intend to use an oxygen concentrator in the future, It will require electricity. As far as knowing what numbers to have on the power supply, I would not know. I'm new to oxycons right now, and still learning.

I'm not sure that I would have a wood burning stove in the proximity of oxygen tanks and/or fuel. You might want to consider piping in some heat.

I know that I didn't provide you with the answers you were looking for, but I hope my pointers were of some help. I'm interested in what the pros here have to say. I wish you much luck in this project. Looking forward to viewing some WIP photos!

Aleta
Old 2009-12-04, 9:35am

You have a good point about the wood stove. Perhaps I should just stick to a space heater. It gets pretty cold here (single digits and negatives are not uncommon) so I definitely need good heat.
Old 2009-12-04, 9:55am

I'm not an electrician, but have done a ton of research on what is needed so when we end up building my studio I'll have all the data ready. In addition to several outlets, you should have dedicated circuits for your oxycon and your kiln, and another one for ventilation, lighting, music, etc.

You won't need 220v unless you think you may want to get a big kiln someday; it wouldn't hurt to run the lines just in case.

I wouldn't want a wood-burning stove in a room with oxygen tanks, but I don't think there would be an issue if you're using an oxycon. We have a wood-burning stove in our living room, and as it's fully enclosed it is safe.

-Diane

My Facebook business page:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2009-12-04, 10:01am

I've been looking at the exhaust fans, and I want one that should work no matter how big my torch is, and to take into account that someday I may want to fume something. The smaller fans (around 600-700 cfu) tend to run on 120v, but I also want to take into account future growth. My guy has already shown some interest in playing around with it, so he might want his own little station someday, and that will call for another fan.

I do tend to overcompensate for possibilities. Ha!
Old 2009-12-04, 10:16am

Oh, and here's another question; is there a difference between an inline exhaust fan and an inline duct fan?
Old 2009-12-04, 10:52am
old fart

it costs nearly the same to run a 220v 100 amp line out to the shed (except for the cost of the copper). you will need several circuits, for your concentrators, kilns, ventilation, lights, heat, and AC. maybe you could get by with less but not much. it should be installed to code by an electrician. you will have both 110 and 220 power available in the breaker box so you can have options in the future.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-12-04, 12:07pm

Excellent! Thanks so much!
Old 2009-12-05, 7:03am

I'd recommend putting in more outlets thank you think you'll need - it will give you flexibility later in case you want to re-arrange your work space. In one of my studios, I had generous numbers of wall outlets both above my workbench areas and below. I was really glad I did.

What I suspect you'll find is you will likely need at least one 20 amp, 120V service just for your kiln, and one to two 15 amp services for everything else - more if you've got a more elaborate studio planned. I've found that kilns are often rated at the max end of typical electrical services (ie 15 amps or 20 amps) but in practice, draw far more than that when they cycle. If you have a kiln, I'd recommend assuming it draws 3-5 amps more than the manufacturer says. If you have a space heater, I'd suggest assuming it draws an amp more than the manufacturer says (or more, depending on its size). If you're planning on an AC unit and a good size electrical heater, those may need a separate circuit, also. Good in-line exhaust or duct fans (NOT in-line duct booster fans!) can draw up to 3 amps. I have a great in-line duct fan from Fantech that runs about 1200 cfm and draws 3 amps (I have a good-sized fume hood/barley box style vent hood). In-line exhaust and duct fans are terms sometimes used interchangeably - just watch out that you don't get an in-line duct BOOSTER fan. These are about worthless for lampworking. They require a primary in-line duct/exhaust fan to work properly and you can easily find one of those that will do everything you need, anyway. For more on designing a good ventilation system, and in case you might not be aware of this link, you might find the following useful:

http://mikeaurelius.wordpress.com/ventilation-primer/

There's more great info at

http://www.ArtGlassAnswers.com

A woodburning stove isn't generally a good idea, not just because of things like oxygen tanks, but also because your ventilation fan can easily suck combustion products from your wood stove back into your work space. With the right kind of stove (and its door always closed....) some folks have posted having figured out how to balance the air flow in their shops to avoid pulling carbon monoxide and other products from their wood stove back into their shop, but this requires a fairly sophisticated understanding and knowledge base to do safely.

Good luck!

Linda
Old 2009-12-05, 7:51am

I think that if you ran a 50 amp 240 volt 4 wire service to a sub-panel in your new shop that would be plenty. You would need to run # 6 copper wire (2 hots and a neutral and a ground) in a 1" pipe. No more than four 90 degree bends in your pipe so you can pull it through. That should give you a lot of options for the future too. You can derate the size of your ground wire to whatever your local code will allow, you will need to check with the governing authority or the old guy at the hardware store...

Mike
Old 2009-12-08, 2:35pm
Favorite color is shiny

Do y ou think 50 amps is enough? What Mike just described is exactly what I just did for my 10x12 shed.

I'm back after a long time with a cold torch. Torch Lit.... Life is goooood.....now!

---> LE
Old 2009-12-08, 2:45pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I would want a 100 amp panel - no question. If you ever do want a bigger kiln, it will need its own 50 amp circuit, which would mean you couldn't run anything else at all.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-12-08, 7:02pm

I have 12x16 shed. I have 100 amp for the studio. Its better to have more amps because you will want to venture into other areas someday.
I have placed the outlets every 4ft. On the one for the 110 kiln I used 20 amps. Because you can put a 15 into a 20, but not a 20 into 15. That way you are covered on your kiln, incase your next kiln is a 20amp.
Set down and make a list of everything you plan on having and then look at the volts for each piece. Add them up and add extra. You won't be sorry.
Janet
Old 2009-12-09, 5:55am
Miss my BoBo Griff

Whichever amperage you choose to go with you will want dedicated lines not only for your kiln but your concentrators as well. I have blown many circuits to many times because of concentrators before I had more service added. I took over our garage as my studio and when I did my husband made a dedicated line for my 220 kiln that called for a 30amp, one for my little kiln 20amp. This was off of what was already run to the garage, once I really got going with more stuff we added another 100amps and box and added another 50amp ded line for another big kiln a 30amp shared for A/C and compressor and a bunch of other 110 15amp outlets and you know I still don't have enough outlets IMO LOL. Have 3 4' lights in the ceiling but there is not enough light to suit me so my son will be adding another 2-3 4 footers. I also have 2 8' lights over the torch tables, wishing I would have put those lights behind the tables instead of right over the work area, have issues with being able to see the glass sometimes from the glare, working on that.
chrisann

Old 2009-12-09, 8:04am

Put in at least twice as many outlets as you think you'll need. I did and I'm still using a power strip. There's TV and stereo and all kinds of power sucking things out there now, lighting fans, you name it.

I also heat with wood. It's great as I get heat instantly and I don't draw more current. I do need to upgrade my service amps though, as I have power conflicts already, just with the kiln and the oxygen concentrator. I ended up having to run a cord to the house for the oxygen. There is no way a space heater could work in my shop.

Good luck!
Old 2009-12-09, 8:59am

Oh, my, there is just so much to think about! Oh to be wealthy and be able to hire someone to figure all this out for me. Haha!