No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2008-07-05, 7:31am
Made in the Shade

Default My new ventilation -- Woo Hoo!

It is finally happening. I've been working for years with a large fan and all the windows and doors in the house open (summer and winter). I've often been known to say "it's too hot (cold) to torch today. I also have not been able to use the silvered glass because I didn't want to expose myself even though the air was moving great out of my studio.

But now that's all about to change. I'm finally getting my ventilation system! I've had the new fan for a while --- an Aeroflo AXC --- but we hadn't had/made the time to install it. Yesterday my DH says he's going to install my new ventilation. We worked on it all day yesterday. First I had to clean out my studio so we could work without knocking into everything. I wish I had taken a before picture! My studio was such a mess. I tend to clean/organize and make a resolution that I will keep it that way. Then, I get busy and life gets in the way and things tend to pile up...before you know it everything thing is in disarray again! Here are pics of parts of my studio in the living room and the hall.

Anywho, we didn't quite finish as we needed some other parts from Lowe's and to return some parts we didn't need. However, when we made our 4th and (hopefully) final trip to Lowe's, they were closed. Closed early for the holiday. Happy Birthday America!

So, here are some photos and I'll post more as it gets finished and the studio gets put back together...now organized, with yet a new resolution to keep it that way!

thanks for looking!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-07-05, 7:44am
Made in the Shade

another pic...the wiring is done and the some of the duct work is in.

Old 2008-07-05, 11:27am
I speak Murrini!

Sheesh!!! Looks amazingly cool...and neat/tidy! I hope you don't take this the wrong way...I know you're a big girl and certainly PLEASE don't feel like I'm talking down to you - but around here (at my house!) I'm known as "everybody's MOM". My comments are intended to share and help only!!!! I used to have the same problem (with mess and clutter in my studio) as you - so did my kids in their every-day lives. Then, a few months back, we implemented the "2 Minute Rule". It has not only helped to keep general clutter at bay in just about every room - but we all seem to have a bit more time to do what we like - the accumulation of time "saved" has been very positive!

Two Minute Rule "Rules":

Always allow yourself an extra "2 MINUTES" - either at the beginning or ending of whatever task you embark upon; whether it be showering, cooking, or even watching TV. Use these 2 minutes wisely - they are dedicated/intended for "organization" purposes only, whether it's to clean up your space, wipe down the kitchen counters after cooking, straightening up your room, wiping down the tub after bath/shower, etc.

You will be surprised how spending just a very short period of time to "reset" your spaces as you go can keep every room from "imploding" into a clutter or worse, and the time you save yourself in the long run from having to do "the almighty clean/clear up" is well worth the "2 minute" investment!

Best of luck to you on your work/studio area! It really looks wonderful!

~De in Ca

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-07-06, 7:02am
Made in the Shade

Thanks De! I like that rule. I'm going to try that. And I'll file it with my rule I got years ago that "whenever possible, don't touch the same piece of paper twice." I learned that at work...if you are going to pick up the piece of paper from your inbox...just do whatever needs to be done with it...don't put it back and say "I'll do that one later." That rule helped me a lot when I was in corporate America! And it still helps me today in my own business.

Well, the ventilation system is in. Here is the latest pic. We've tested with insence and it works beautifully! The first two pics show it with the plywood in the window. When I'm not using it, the plywood and the vent tube through the window will be removed.

Old 2008-07-06, 1:31pm
Made in the Shade

and finally with all my tools and glass back in place.

thanks for looking!

Old 2008-07-06, 2:23pm

does that work very well? like its just an opening like 2 feet away from your torch? i would have done a hood but... does it work like im curious.
Old 2008-07-06, 3:46pm
Made in the Shade

Hi Morgan,

yes, it does work very nicely. From the tip of the torch to the opening of the vent tube it's about 14 inches. I've run the incense test from all areas of the room including from the torch and the air flows nicely into my vent system and to the outside.

Old 2008-07-06, 9:39pm

ah very nice. i may think about this but then if i get a bigger torch it may be a bad vent system for it
Old 2008-07-06, 10:01pm
Noobie

I like it. There is another thread somewhere where someone has the same type of vent system and she loves it! Apparently passed the tests to safely torch. Have fun torching!!
Old 2008-07-06, 10:06pm
I speak Murrini!

Wow Teresa! Looks fabulous!!! I STILL need to get proper ventilation going in my area...right now, I'm not torching (til I get the Piped Propane issue taken care of...arrgghh!!!) but that WILL be next!

How nice of your DH to step up and get this going with/for you!!! I made the (mistake?) errr, umm, decision to tell my hubby that I was looking to hire a plumber to do the Propane install through the wall in my garage studio...that was 7 weeks ago, and I've been to heck and back with all the ideas, suggestions, feedback from Dale M. in the "Safety" Forum (no offense Dale, you've been great!) - and ultimately, my hubby INSISTING that we should do it ourselves (aka HIM!!). But it seems at every turn, my hubby keeps tweaking the "plan", and yesterday he suggested I draw a picture of EXACTLY how it should look, then make a chart of all the parts that I would need, blah, blah, blah!!!

Today, I decided to "announce" to his "highness" that I was going to Home Depot and look for the stuff I needed (according to Dale). I went down there and was lucky enough to find a very helpful and qualified (retired plumber!!!) sales guy. He was very patient and understood EXACTLY what I was trying to do - thank God! He steered me to the PROPER gas rated shut offs, we found the correct BLACK PIPE (also gas rated) then found the perfect fittings to be able to "cut" in the Propane lines, inside and out, and use hose clamps so I finally got past the "hurdle" of the standard fittings being incompatible with the "B" fittings - whew!!!

You are SO LUCKY to have a guy who knew what to do - and didn't take a lifetime to finish it either! (Sorry for the rant, by the way!!! )

Enjoy your new area - it's wonderful!!!

~De

Old 2008-07-06, 10:22pm
Made in the Shade

Thanks Cherie!

De, hang in there. Willingness is half the battle! And your guy sounds like he has plenty of it...just have give him a little point in the right direction...while letting him think it was his idea all along! tee hee! Don't tell my DH I said that...it's always his idea...LOL!

Old 2008-07-06, 10:29pm
I speak Murrini!

Thanks Teresa! I agree - and I'm sorry if I came across like I was being a big ol B**CH about it. We've been married 23 years - and I realize I'm a "DO-er" and he's a "THINK-er". I think just getting the necessary parts so I can say "Here you go! Let's put this together" was the peak of the mountain. I figure from here on out, it's down hill all the way...

Hugs,
DeAnne

Old 2008-07-07, 7:59am
Flamewoman

Boy, I don't want to rain on your parade, as I think that any ventilation is better than none, but if you ever get a chance to look at the summer 2007 issue of "Anealer" magazine, it has some actual pictures that show the gas plume of a working torch. Without something like a plume extraction hood (or hood of some kind), you will not capture the whole plume of nox to evacuate it. You could still easily do that with what you have just by building a box of some sort that connects to the vent. Any HVAC shop should easily be able to fabricate you a hood that you could easily connect it to your exsisting pipe with some minor modifications.Do you have something that provides for make up Air?

This is my ventilation system, the ducts under the bench are for makeup air that comes in at the back of work area,from outside the building. That way I don't lose the Heat/aircondioning in my shop.
That said, I think your studio is lovely, lots of light, looks cheerful and I'm sure it's a great place to work. I know some people go with a system like yours, but I have to say that I believe hoods offer more efficiency and protection.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2008-07-07, 9:12am
Made in the Shade

Hi Mary,

Thanks so much for the input. We haven't installed the make up air system yet (Goal for that is after the summer shows). Right now, I am still doing the open several large windows in other areas of the home. Consequently, I still only torching between the hours of about 5:00p - 11:00a. Not a bad window of opportunity...now if I could just train my body to do without sleep. LOL!

I do see the benefit of a hood and I will bring this up to DH. If he agrees with the changes, that too will have to wait until after the summer shows. We will definitely have it all in place including the make up air before the winter.

And thanks for the pic. That helps a lot!

Old 2008-07-11, 3:06pm
RaymondMillbrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2063614 View Post
ah very nice. i may think about this but then if i get a bigger torch it may be a bad vent system for it
When it comes to venting systems, there are various schools of thought.

Click HERE to see the system I was originally gonna make. I actually communicated with this person once or twice (he's very friendly), but decided against this system.

Why?

Because it's like having the "make-up air opening" 5' feet from your ventilation exhaust. It looks and seems correct...but if there's any wind change or similar factor, you are not safe. Likewise, if anything causes the fumes to NOT enter the intake of the duct tubing by ANY chance, (kids running by you really fast, door/window open...and Mr Murphy never sleeping!), then there's always the possibility of fumes escaping.

Like I said, there are many "schools of thought" on this topic. And from what I remember, the above style is an "Italian thang". (Wassamatta fo me? Wassamatta fo you)?

But after MUCHO, MUCHO, thought (cuz I was gonna make it myself, and wanting it to be the safest [hands-down] for my DWP), I went with an enclosed hood design.

The enclosed hood design ensures that there is no side-to-side cross breeze to disturb the sucking and extracting of the fumes. It also extracts the fumes DIRECTLY from the source (the tip of the torch) instead of ensuring that everything is OK by extracting ALL THE ROOM AIR in a given time. Why chance it, when you can be S-U-R-E?!

Here is a link to a cool little studio. (CLICK HERE). I like her design. But I especially like the fact that she used glass/Pexiglas for her rear and side baffles. The ability to look around and let light in is great. As a matter of fact, this is where I got the idea to place Pexiglass on my DWP's side baffles. I wanted to let extra light in, so DWP will not feel confined. (The rear was against the wall, so I just used sheet mertal and painted it white). ).

Below is an older, incomplete, picture of the bead table I built my DWP. Notice the side Pexiglass baffles.

In closing, don't take my opinions as wanting to "bash" anyones ventilation design. It is just MY personal opinion on this matter.

Food for thought. But ultimately, YOU make the final decision for yourself!

In Christ: Raymond

Last edited by RaymondMillbrae; 2008-07-11 at 5:35pm.