No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2013-01-21, 11:05pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
Dawn, I just got to wondering if you ever teach or give demos?
Hi Eileen,

No, I don't teach but I did manage to do a video demo for using Dalai Lama by TAG. Here's the link to my YouTube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOGX2...ature=youtu.be

I hope to do a few with Raku in the near future too!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nortel Minor with one Concentrator
Old 2013-01-22, 8:26am
Loving learning

That was awesome, Thank You!!!!
I think I put way too much effort into striking, which possibly explains why I get poo with my silver glass so often.
I will eagerly await an future videos you may do. Thank you again. If I didn't have an eye exam in a few hours I'd be out there right now trying with some of my glass (don't have that particular one, but I have some others to try.)
Old 2013-01-22, 9:16am
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
That was awesome, Thank You!!!!
I think I put way too much effort into striking, which possibly explains why I get poo with my silver glass so often.
I will eagerly await an future videos you may do. Thank you again. If I didn't have an eye exam in a few hours I'd be out there right now trying with some of my glass (don't have that particular one, but I have some others to try.)
I'm glad you enjoyed it!
That demo covers how I work with TAG's striking glass. Dalai Lama, Transcendental and Tibet. For Raku you don't need to get it nearly as hot. With Raku you only need to super heat that top, outer layer of the bead.

Make a barrel shaped bead and roll it in your frit. Gently melt in the Raku and get the bead shaped back up again. (Don't pay attention to the color at this point because it should still be pale brown.) Once the bead is shaped and cooled a bit, bring it into the flame and quickly superheat the surface, then marver it back into shape immediately. This should turn the Raku really dark. If you're going to encase it, do it now while it's dark. The heat from the clear will strike the colors for you.

If you don't want to encase the bead you will have to strike it. After it reaches that dark stage, bring it back into the flame just until it gets a dull glow again then take it out of the flame and see how your colors have developed. Just one or two strikings should do the trick.

Old 2013-01-22, 9:25am
Loving learning

I can't wait until the weekend to try again.
I think I've been trying too hard & overcooking it, because I can get a little color, but not the vibrant colors.

sorry it's so big & out of focus

]
Old 2013-01-22, 10:21am
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
I can't wait until the weekend to try again.
I think I've been trying too hard & overcooking it, because I can get a little color, but not the vibrant colors.

sorry it's so big & out of focus

]
Oooo...That looks good! I think it may be the base color you're using that's affecting the Raku colors though. See the little reaction lines right around each dot of Raku? You can see them real good on the edges of the bead near the holes. That's the Raku reacting with the base glass. The Raku colors will stand out more against a dark backdrop. Black (of course) and Dark Transparent Purple are my favorite base colors for Raku. Greens and turquoise can suck the color right out of Raku so I usually avoid those. But as far as how you're working the glass, it looks like you're doing it right!

Old 2013-01-22, 10:59am
Loving learning

I will practice more with the black & purple, thanks for the help, I really really appreciate it.
Old 2013-01-22, 5:26pm
Melody of Glass

Thanks for the feedback, Dawn. They are on Effetre black. I'll try heating a bit less, especially on the fire polish next time I'm at the torch. I'll try the dots, too. Might be a bit easier to get the reaction working small to start.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-01-22, 8:43pm

I agree with renting Dawn for a few sessions or downright kidnapping her!

Old 2013-01-22, 8:49pm
Loving learning

She's close enough to me that I'm temped to just show up at her door!
(But I'd never do it in case you're worried now Dawn!)
Old 2013-06-10, 4:45pm
Practicing perfect

Dawn, have you tried the 104 version of Iris Orange, RL 6208? If so do you work it pretty much the same as R108

Old 2013-06-10, 7:46pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly Queen View Post
Dawn, have you tried the 104 version of Iris Orange, RL 6208? If so do you work it pretty much the same as R108
Hi Inez,

I know some people can get great color from the 104 COE Raku, but I'm not one of them.... I've tried it a few times and my results just come out pale. Maybe it's just the way I'm working it, but I get much better color out of the 96 COE, so I just stick with that.

Old 2013-06-11, 2:21pm
Practicing perfect

What.....? I don't believe it!

Just kidding. okay, thank you Dawn.

Anybody else out there have any success with Raku COE 104?

Old 2013-06-14, 11:07am

Hi everybody,

Though I am a member of this forum for several years, I have only posted something 2 or 3 times. I usually find the beads I make not good enough to show. But now I'd like to share my rakubeads with you. After much experimenting with raku, I now finally am a little successful. I am so happy with these beads.
Thanks to all who have given advice in this topic and special thanks to Dawn!
Picture above: black with rakufrit.
Other picture: just raku with a few intens black dots.

Marise
Attached Images

Old 2013-06-14, 11:27am
Mmmmm....Raku

Oooo, very pretty Marise! You got wonderful colors!

Old 2013-06-14, 11:41am

Just lovely, keep on sharing!

Old 2013-06-14, 11:42am
JulieV

Those are lovely! Well done!

Old 2013-06-14, 3:08pm
Evil Glass Enabler

Very nice! Go you! Angelique

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2013-06-14, 9:02pm

Thumbs up

These are beautiful beads, you should be quite proud of the
Colors you got!
Lynnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by den hartog View Post
Hi everybody,

Though I am a member of this forum for several years, I have only posted something 2 or 3 times. I usually find the beads I make not good enough to show. But now I'd like to share my rakubeads with you. After much experimenting with raku, I now finally am a little successful. I am so happy with these beads.
Thanks to all who have given advice in this topic and special thanks to Dawn!
Picture above: black with rakufrit.
Other picture: just raku with a few intens black dots.

Marise

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:
Old 2013-06-14, 11:58pm

Marise......beautiful
Isn't that a great feeling to be successful with Raku?

Keep going!

Elke
Old 2013-06-17, 7:59am

The answer may already be in this great thread but if so I can't find it. I was wondering if I can use a twisty made with the 96 version of raku on a base bead that is make with 104 glass. Can I ever encase a bead using 96 raku for decoration with 104 clear? Thanks.
Old 2013-06-17, 8:57am
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbisker View Post
The answer may already be in this great thread but if so I can't find it. I was wondering if I can use a twisty made with the 96 version of raku on a base bead that is make with 104 glass. Can I ever encase a bead using 96 raku for decoration with 104 clear? Thanks.
The answer is yes, and yes.

You can use 96 COE Raku as decoration (frit, stringer work or twisty) on a base of 104 COE.

You can also use a base of 104 COE, decorate with 96 COE and encase with 104 COE.

But if you use a solid 96 COE base and want to encase it, you should use a 96 COE clear for encasing.

Old 2013-06-17, 10:29am

Smile

Yes but be careful not to use too much of any 96coe on a 104coe bead or
it will crack. I know there's a formula out there for the ratio but I can't
Put my hands on it. I make and sell 96coe Raku Twisties (mixed with intense black 104coe) for other lampworkers to use on their 104coe beads and haven't gotten negative feedback on it at all.
Lynnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbisker View Post

who have journeyed
and recovery!

:
Old 2013-06-17, 2:34pm

Smile

@Dawn, glasser, JulieV, Angelique, danelady and Lococo,
Thanks for the nice compliments.
I'm indeed a little proud of the colors.
And now I can't stop playing with Raku.

Marise
Old 2013-06-18, 5:34am

Smile

Hi Inez and Dawn,

I've had very little luck with the 104 Raku the colors
Muddy and it doesn't translate well at all when
I use it to make Raku Twisties. It's as if after being heated
enough to melt the Twisties properly, the ability/ property
to produce color is gone. I stick to 96 COE
LYNNIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn >^..^< View Post
Hi Inez,

I know some people can get great color from the 104 COE Raku, but I'm not one of them.... I've tried it a few times and my results just come out pale. Maybe it's just the way I'm working it, but I get much better color out of the 96 COE, so I just stick with that.

who have journeyed
and recovery!

:
Old 2013-06-18, 10:37am

Same here no luck with Raku 104.

Elke
Old 2013-06-18, 12:24pm
Practicing perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by danelady View Post
Hi Inez and Dawn,

I've had very little luck with the 104 Raku the colors
Muddy and it doesn't translate well at all when
I use it to make Raku Twisties. It's as if after being heated
enough to melt the Twisties properly, the ability/ property
to produce color is gone. I stick to 96 COE
LYNNIE
Thank you. I can't get anything but mud with either 104 or 96.

I keep trying though.

thank you too Locococo

Old 2013-06-18, 9:54pm

Wink

Inez,
I don't know what your knowledge base is so I'll share
what works for me. I found the best method to draw
color with 96coe Raku is to heat it really hot and
then cool it FAST. After the first cooling DO NOT
overheat the bead, only heat as much as needed
for what effect you are going for between pressing or cooling.

If I'm using presses on a Raku bead I set
the press base on a bowl or tray of ice before
I start torching.

Then when I have my first application of Raku
on the bead, I pull it from the flame and quickly
press it on the press while its sitting on the ice. Work
and repeat until you get the desired effects.

Hope that helps
Lynnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly Queen View Post
Thank you. I can't get anything but mud with either 104 or 96.

I keep trying though.

thank you too Locococo

who have journeyed
and recovery!

:
Old 2013-06-22, 7:05pm
Practicing perfect

Thank you Lynnie.

So I have been playing with the Iris Orange COE 104 (RL 6208 ) and have had some success....not a lot, but some. What can I say, I'm determined or crazy, I keep trying.
Here's what I got. Don't mind the beads, got a new cone mandrel so I was playing. The one on the right has a couple of holes, you can see the inklings of it mid right side, but I actually like the affect. That was the first one. The second one on the left also had a couple of holes, but I kept heating and shaping til the holes filled in, that is what that spot on the front is. I like that too.
And yes I super heated it and shaped and then I super heated and shaped some more. I did one end of the cone and then the other. I didn't let it cool down in between other than the marvering. Anyway here goes.

Name:  1st cones resized 3.jpg
Views: 2203
Size:  21.1 KB

Still working on trying to figure out the encasing with frit. I finally got some bright blues by using the gravity swirl with COE 96. I'll post those when they come out of the kiln tomorrow.

Old 2013-06-29, 6:11am

Thanks for all the info
Old 2014-06-29, 11:51am
Molten Glass Addict

Dawn, thank you so much for all the info. After not being able to make beads for so long I was having a hard enough time just getting them into a good shape. Then yesterday I tried my new 104 raku and it turned brown, it was okay, but not the blue/purples i wanted. So I read most of this thread today and went out to the torch and after making a few rondells for practive I picked up a rod of raku and gave it a try.

Every one that I put on the marver to cool turned out great! I have greens all the way to purples. But the last one that I wanted round and it seems I couldn't get ot to cool fast enough to bring out the colors. It seems to have turned to a soft muted green/blue. Which may still be okay. I'll have to see what the kiln yields tomorrow

< me in my younger days

< me now days

< me after a pomegranate rum slushie