Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2009-03-10, 6:15am

Default Should I or shouldn't I?

I posted this question in the family room, but I figured I should ask the photographers here. Sorry if you've seen this but I am so torn. I currently have a Nikon coolpix that is about 10 years old. I have not been thrilled with it, especially in auto mode with my everyday shots. I have Kevan's tutorial and Adobe photoshop, it is wonderful and I do see an improvement in my bead photos. I have been wanting and saving for a DSLR (Nikon D60) and I have reached my goal. Now I am thinking twice about it, with the economy and all there are surely better, more important "needs" that I could spent it on. I also know that a better camera does not mean better photos but I do plan on learning on how to use it. In fact, I was into photography in college (of course it was so different then) and I am kind of excited to take it up again and get artsy with it. So, I guess my main question is, how much do you like/use your DSLR versus (if you have both or have used both) your point and shoot digital? Is the investment worth it? Thanks for any advice/thoughts you can give me in making this decision.
Also, here are some photos, both are with my Nikon coolpix. The first 2 are before Kevan's tutorial, the next 2 are using Kevan's tips. Even though my camera doesn't seem to let me adjust the aperature to what I want.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
H37
Old 2009-03-10, 9:09am

I think your pictures look great. In my opinion your going to learn how to use your new camera, spend the time learning this one. I shoot my pictures with an older coolpix 885 and I'm happy with it. As far as the economy goes it will get a lot worse before it gets better, but then again we need to spend for it to get better.
Bob
Old 2009-03-13, 12:50pm
Senior Member | Jenelle

Your pics look great!I am contrary to this idea though :"a better camera does not mean better photos" Since I upgraded to a Canon Rebel xsi (from an Olympus digital) and invested in a cheap macro lens, I am in photo heaven! Really a nice slr will knock your socks off, in my opinion =)

|
|
|
|

Old 2009-03-13, 9:39pm
Entropy increasing....

The photos look great and I'm so happy to have been a part of that! How exciting!

I disagree that the camera won't take better pictures. A better camera with better lenses will take better pics. But your pictures look pretty good now.

I think if you are interested in photography you might want to invest in the better camera so you can have more control of what you are doing, but for taking photos of your beads alone, I think you are doing really well.
Old 2009-03-14, 2:54pm
szglassy

They all look good.
The bottom 2 have a more concistent backround,which in my opinion looks more professional.
Thats what i'm aiming for. Did you learn that from the tutorial??

Your camera works great
Old 2009-03-24, 8:43am
Mary Lockwood

I agree with Kevan.

Old 2009-03-24, 8:49am
Wahwahbabypants

I had a coolpix for years and got a D60 for Christmas (from the best DH in the world!!!). You can still shoot in automatic mode (ie point and shoot) but you won't want to. If you have ever photographed in manual and understand the concepts of f-stops et al you will love a DSLR. If not, you have a learning curve ahead of you. I always had a point and shooter...so I'm learning the basis of photography as well as my digital camera. A better camera with better lens will give you better pictures if you know how to use the camera.

I love the D60. Even in automatic mode it still takes better pix than my coolpix ever did.

I might go Crazyif I don't go Crazy Tonight.