Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-02-24, 10:21pm

Default Gold face shield

I need a face shield, I am having some skin issues on my face and neck. I have been looking at these at Wale Apparatus. Can someone advise the best one for Boro. Thanks for the help.

http://www.waleapparatus.com/catalog.asp?prodid=54807
Old 2010-02-24, 10:42pm

The link didn't work for me ... and, I carry the face shields too ...

http://www.artcoinc.com/face_shield.php

Malcolm
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2010-02-25, 9:25pm
Megan's personal Sherpa

Might face shields offer more protection for your eyes than didy's or boroscope glasses? I had a teeny, tiny bit of hot glass pop off a bead I was working on and it flew under my glasses and into the corner of my eye. Thank GOD it landed on skin and not my eyeball and also that it was really REALLY tiny. No visible damage done but it made me wonder if finding something with a snugger fit or better coverage woud be more beneficial.......

I wonder how some of the welder's protective gear would work?

Flinging flaming frit at friends for fun!

Deb
Old 2010-02-26, 5:16pm

Welders masks do not act like didys. You can get didy lenses for them, but they're pretty expensive.

Old 2010-02-26, 6:31pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by patezd View Post
Might face shields offer more protection for your eyes than didy's or boroscope glasses? I had a teeny, tiny bit of hot glass pop off a bead I was working on and it flew under my glasses and into the corner of my eye. Thank GOD it landed on skin and not my eyeball and also that it was really REALLY tiny. No visible damage done but it made me wonder if finding something with a snugger fit or better coverage woud be more beneficial.......
While polycarbonate lenses offer pretty good IR and UV filtering, to get the yellow sodium flair filtering, you need a glass lens. The older didymium and the newer ACE lenses are glass that has the filtering properties blended into the glass itself ... it's not a coating.

The ACE lens material is not available in a sheet large enough to make into a full face shield. Even if it was, it would probably be too heavy to wear.

If you want the full face protection, you can wear a standard face shield over your ACE glasses. Or, you could install some other kind of shield ... either on your torch or your bench. But, in either case, you still would want to wear your ACE glasses.

The ACE glasses are available in a number of different frame styles; some are like sports goggles, and others are a wrap-around style. These do provide more physical eye protection.

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2010-02-27, 10:46am

We carry this for full face protection Its Kevlar.
Attached Images

Last edited by sunray; 2010-02-27 at 10:50am.
Old 2010-02-27, 2:56pm
product of the universe

I need one of those sunray. I can look like a ninja and protect myself.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2010-02-27, 3:42pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayes View Post
I need one of those sunray. I can look like a ninja and protect myself.
or rob a bank
they are found here:http://trevsglass.com/index.php?main...roducts_id=335

Last edited by sunray; 2010-02-27 at 3:45pm. Reason: to add link
Old 2010-02-27, 9:34pm
Megan's personal Sherpa

Thanks Malcolm! I had been thinking about the possibility of getting a piece of glass under my didys OR boro shades just in the past couple of weeks........guess this is a good time to look into some additional protection!

Flinging flaming frit at friends for fun!

Deb
Old 2010-02-28, 7:56am

Check out a blast shield. I was amazed at how much better my face felt after using. http://www.theblastshield.com/aboutourproduct.html

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2010-03-01, 11:18pm
Fire and Fluidity

Here's a vote for Blastshield with the IR protection. My daughter Zora was getting the classic "torch face" heat burn whenever she did marbles. The Blastshield totally blocked the heat and solved the problem. She does still wear her Auralens glasses for the sodium flare blocking.

-Don-

"It all depends on how you look at things" said the Churkendoose.