Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2006-05-23, 7:35pm
StudioMarcy

Default Help! Camera died and I need a new one.

I know there's been a lot of discussion on different cameras. Seems like everywhere I turn, different people are suggesting another kind.

I have $500 max to spend. Not a penny more. Seems like most cameras are more than that. Anyone have any ideas? Is it okay to buy the reconditioned ones, or do I want brand new for sure? (I was looking at the Nikon Coolpix 8400 that has been mentioned a lot) My head is spinning. Oh, and I'm not a great photographer, nor great with all the functions. I need the instruction book to be easy to understand. (very right brained). My old camera was an Olympus Camedia which I loved. The reds and pinks didn't always turn out true colors though and I'd like something that has the correct colors when printed.

Thanks for any help.
Marcy
Old 2006-05-23, 7:48pm
In search of her path....

I really love my Fuji Finepix S-7000 you can get one well under $500 either Reconditioned , Used or Brand New Ithas an AMAZING Macro Feature as well as every feature you could really want for a digital camera. Takes awesome pics as well as great videos with sound even! Its the best digital camera ive had. Its 6megapixels and im really really happy with with it. Most of the parts are acutally made by Nikon im told so I know the parts and optics are great. I really loved my Olympus and ive had Nikons in the past and I havea photographic background so im not completely blind when it comes to quality stuff You could easily take pics with excellent enough quality to be printed in slicks and magazines. If you want to go with the Digital SLR's look at a Nikon D50 You can sometimes pick a small kit up under $500 but its really rare but you might be able to on ebay But its a great Camera. The Olympus C series are great too I love them and always have their optics are wonderful. I love the Nikons too but they are a bit on the pricy side as are the Canons and sonys and I personally have found the Canons and Sonys not as User Friendly and not as good of photo quality as the Fuji, Nikon and Olympus at least to me and what I look for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Prints for sale in my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Old 2006-05-24, 8:28pm
StudioMarcy

Thank you so much for your input. I'll check this out now and am looking forward to having a camera again. I appreciate your thoughts and quick response.

Marcy
Old 2006-05-24, 9:40pm
Meow.

Default A thought on something 'Reconditioned'

The term reconditioned used to put me off big time. I mean, if I was buying something, I wanted it NEW. Until someone set me straight. Take a camera for instance, since that is what you are looking for.

Whatever company makes a bajillion cameras and they jus go out on the shelves. A percentage are quality tested, but that percentage is so small, it is not likely to be 'the one' you are buying. So, someone buys a camera and it doesn't work right and is under warranty. That camera then gets returned in exchange for a new camera and the 'bunk' one is sent back to be 'reconditioned.' Now, when the company gets that camera back it is fixed and tested and better then new - only because any existing problem that could be on your new camera has been found. Reconditioned products are usually put through heavy testing before being released back for sale...so in reality, the odds are that you'll get abetter product if it is reconditioned.

Oy, hope that made sense...I need to go to bed!

Go on. Click it!

Yes. We. Did!
Old 2006-05-25, 2:53am
StudioMarcy

Thanks, I wondered about that. I have had "reconditioned" other items and done fine with them, except my son's iPod, but that's another story.

thanks!
Marcy
Old 2006-05-28, 5:11pm
Martyrs don't bitch.

I'm looking at get a camera for beads and such and have been talking with my dad about it. He's a bit of a digital photographer. Anyway, he stay's abreast of tech and photography magazines and he recommended 3 that are basically very similar, here's the review site:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp..._a540&show=all

I'm thinking of getting the 610 at Buy.com for $205, but the others are very similar and also onsale either at buy or office depot. The main difference is that the 610 can have an external flash, macro focus up to 1cm (the others are 5cm which is basically 2 inches and probably plenty close.)

Anyway, thought I'd share what I've learned so far.

Teague

< - Click for Etsy Shop
Old 2006-05-28, 5:13pm
StudioMarcy

Thank you so much. I've been checking them out too. I'm going to read your link and appreciate your post.
Marcy
Old 2006-05-28, 5:40pm
Martyrs don't bitch.

No problem. I can't buy till I get paid on the 5th, but I'm lookin'!

Teague

< - Click for Etsy Shop