Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2007-01-02, 11:07am

Unhappy Red turned to liver

Did I get my stiking red too hot to cause it to turn to liver? Can I undo it in the kiln?
Old 2007-01-02, 11:50am
ManBearPig

Yes, you overworked it. No, I don't think it can be undone (but I'm not 100% sure).

The best way to prevent it? Change the red you use. Get some Elvis. It always stays transparent, and never gets livery.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-01-02, 1:01pm

Thanks for the advice. I am using some chinese glass at $10 a pound,so I guess I will set it aside for practice.
Old 2007-01-02, 1:03pm
ManBearPig

Ahh. That stuff is usually trouble. You never know how it's going to work. Especially the green...

Old 2007-01-02, 2:58pm

I made a couple marbles the other day, was so proud of me,really nice and round and the vortex was so good. After I annealed it I looked inside and the green turned into the most beautiful clear fractures. Just the green. No other fractures in the marble. Do you think it will explode one day?
Old 2007-01-02, 3:00pm
ManBearPig

It may not explode. Chances are the cracks are all that is going to happen.

However, that's what happens with most green. The only green colors I have found that consistently don't break when encased are NS Forest Green and the original NS Moss.

Old 2007-01-03, 3:41am
boro color bender

With greens, you really have to be careful of your flame atmosphere. If you hit the surface of the green with reduction, it changes the COE of just the surface. Then when you encase it, you've got an incompatible sandwich of different COEs. This is why you get the checking on just the green. You can prevent this in most cases by working oxydized and for shorter periods of time... they also don't like being garaged long or reheated often. It's a real PITA, so I don't mess with encasing green much.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley