Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-01-09, 8:35pm

Question Thicker or thinner

1/4 inch hallow mandrel. Question is should i use a thicker or thinner layer of bead release? My vessels keep falling off the mandrel b4 i am finished.
Old 2010-01-09, 8:54pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I think the question is probably what brand are you using? Some will hold a LOT better than others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-01-09, 8:56pm

I am using sludge
Old 2010-01-09, 8:58pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

hmmm... I've never used that - hopefully someone that has will chime in. However I can tell you that I use Fusion and it holds like IRON. Crazy strong that stuff is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-01-09, 9:05pm

whats the price and where can i get it , i live in alaska so shipping can be a pain in the rear
Old 2010-01-09, 10:36pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
hmmm... I've never used that - hopefully someone that has will chime in. However I can tell you that I use Fusion and it holds like IRON. Crazy strong that stuff is.
How difficult it is to then take the beads off? I have one release that doesn't hold up so well to abuse, but the beads come off easily. The other holds better to abuse, but then sometimes I can't get the dang things off!!
Old 2010-01-09, 10:48pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I have to use pliers to get about half of them off and can hand remove the other half. I have actually never had a completely permanently stuck bead. I use a rivet tool on the stubborn ones.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-01-09, 10:50pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by akglasshole View Post
whats the price and where can i get it , i live in alaska so shipping can be a pain in the rear
you can get it at Frantz.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-01-09, 10:53pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
I have to use pliers to get about half of them off and can hand remove the other half. I have actually never had a completely permanently stuck bead. I use a rivet tool on the stubborn ones.
Thanks!
Old 2010-01-09, 10:55pm

cool got to ge me some
Old 2010-01-09, 10:56pm

I use Fusion too (mixed with a little Foster Fire) ... One dip in the watered down and leave to dry overnight.

To release (first I try to remove with my fingers but if not) I put the mandrel in my bench vise and twist off the BHB ... works great.

Only if I break the bead release during the making of the bead do I have problems.

hth,

Sadie

Old 2010-01-10, 8:01am
The Andrea Half

I find that different brands work better at different times of year, and it is *definitely* affected by location and elevation. Brands that people in low humidity situations swear by are recipes for frustration here in the humid southeast, but they worked beautifully in the arid southwest. For summer in Georgia I like Best bead release, which is specially formulated for higher humidity. For winter, or for boro, I combine blue sludge and wither Foster Fire or Best. As you are in Alaska you will have to find your own favorite or your own combo. Get small samples, try them out, and keep notes on temperature / humidity conditions.

The other thing to think about -- at least for me, which means of course that YMMV!--is to pay attention to how much / how little you need to make the mandrel glow before applying glass. For many beads a quick heat is fine. If I am doing heavy pressing, or hollows, I want that baby to glow! With all the releases (here, in my conditions) I find that flame drying isn't effective for doing larger pieces / heavy work, but it is fine for simple presses or in-and-out spacers.

Basically, be mindful when torching. What worked? What didn't? Under what conditions? I know that isn't the ideal answer, but lampworking is so dependent on individual conditions that there just isn't always a single definitive answer.

Old 2010-01-10, 2:38pm

never really thought about it like that, but now that you mention it I can imagine that all of those things would have a great effect on the performance.
Old 2010-01-10, 2:48pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

that's why I use Fusion - works great year round

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-01-12, 9:15am
Peerless Thread Killer

I use Dip-N-Go Sludge and never have any problems with it. I can flame dry it, and it holds and almost never breaks. But, I live in a VERY humid area, and always heat up the release to a dull red before I wrap the glass on it.