Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Beads of Courage > Beads of Courage

Beads of Courage -- Discussion for all things Beads of Courage; the only not-for-profit, arts-in-medicine program putting to use the talents of glass beadmakers to uplift children dealing with life threatening illnesses, their families and the people who care for them. Families, clinicians and artists alike are welcome to join in! (Thank you to Lampwork Etc. for supporting Beads of Courage and helping to foster communication!) PHOTOS OF INDIVIDUALS OR CHILDREN ONLY ALLOWED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT.

Old 2024-01-31, 4:52pm
J R Hooper

Default Beads of Courage, Beads only?

I was looking this stuff over and wow, what an awesome thing. Is it still going?
If so, is it just beads? My beads SUCK, I'm so out of practice it's ridiculous but I'd be more than happy to throw some miniature marbles or a regular marble into the hat. I wouldn't want some kid choking to death on a marble though, anybody know if some miniature marbles would be OK?
Old 2024-01-31, 5:23pm

Quote:
I was looking this stuff over and wow, what an awesome thing. Is it still going?
If so, is it just beads? My beads SUCK, I'm so out of practice it's ridiculous but I'd be more than happy to throw some miniature marbles or a regular marble into the hat. I wouldn't want some kid choking to death on a marble though, anybody know if some miniature marbles would be OK?
For the children’s needs, it’s beads only. They might could use the marbles in their fund raising auction. It is still very much a thing. And you know, most kids view the beads with a child’s eye. They are not hypercritical. The main thing is that you have no sharp edges, no bits that could break off, and no exposed silver glass. And who knows - if you make a bunch of beads to send your beads may start sucking less!

My friend Lori tells a story of helping a young patient choose a bead. The child picked out a wonky brown ugly ole bead. Lori asked him if he was sure, and he said yes, the bead looked just like he felt.
Old 2024-01-31, 7:58pm
Loving learning

I agree, and the need is great unfortunately. They do auction things off that are not beads but that adults might like sometimes. They're having an auction right now I believe but they will be having another one before we know it.
Old 2024-01-31, 7:59pm
Loving learning

Beads ofcourage.org is the website and you could contact them and see what they say there or on Facebook at the beads of courage artist page.
Old 2024-02-01, 7:09am
J R Hooper

I'll check it out, was kind of hoping they'd give the kids some minis but no biggie. Thanks for the Link Eileen.
Old 2024-02-08, 4:58am
J R Hooper

I emailed them per their website contact info (
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
) and didn't get any response. Might be an issue with their site email address or maybe they are just really busy or something, but if anyone knows these guys in person, maybe let them know their emails are going unanswered? I checked my spam folder as well...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2024-02-08, 7:17pm
Loving learning

How long did you wait? I know some positions are volunteer, and they don't have a large staff. You can also (if you use Facebook) get in touch with them there. Or they might not know the answer and are getting one from someone else. I do have to wait a little while sometimes when I email about something.
This is their FB page for bead artists:
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2024-02-08, 7:19pm
Loving learning

You can also find a few email addresses to specific persons here:
Old 2024-02-09, 7:24am
J R Hooper

Quote:
How long did you wait? I know some positions are volunteer, and they don't have a large staff. You can also (if you use Facebook) get in touch with them there. Or they might not know the answer and are getting one from someone else. I do have to wait a little while sometimes when I email about something.
This is their FB page for bead artists:
I guess it's just over a week now, no biggie though. I'll give it a bit longer to see if I get a reply, if not I'll try another email on their site. I don't do facebook if I can help it, something about that place just never sat right with me but I know a lot of people do. God only knows how much business I've lost because of it but I watched friends and relatives get so completely sucked into it... ugh.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.