Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-04-19, 7:27pm
Burning through glass

Default Zimmerman and Reichenbach colors

Hi Everybody,
New here at Lampwork, but have been working glass for years. I just recently got back into lampworking (being a fuser for awhile), and have discovered some totally new colors and companies to me. So, I would like to know who out there is using Reichenbach and Zimmerman cane, and what have you learned about the glass. I seem to think that when I work the Reichenbach, I have to work hotter than Effetre. The Reichenbach also tends to bubble at the surface, and if I turn up the heat, the bubbles burn off, and the glass gets shiny again. Anyone have this same experience? I also seem to think that each color has a mind of it's own, and I want to see what others have been doing with it. One discovery I had was with Reichenbach Tobbaco. It wound on the mandrel like sludgey mud, and even looked like tar when I was working it! I noticed that it was really thick, stiff glass, and that it also looked like an oil slick when I first got it laid on the mandrel! So I worked this glass into the shape I wanted, and it still looked like mud, and the more I worked it, the less the "oil slick" effect worked out of the surface (btw, I was working with a neutral flame). Out of the kiln the next day, and it looked like mud, with some interesting shimmer to it, but not really attractive to my eye. So, I thought I'd etch it in an etching solution, the sludge came off, and a beautiful "tobbaco" color came out in swirls, and reminded me of Castro's cigar! Is this right? Am I working this glass correctly? Should I be working colder? More Oxy? I dont know, I'm just guessing, and I'd appreciate anyone's experience with these glasses. I love them, because they are so fun, and mysterious, I get something interesting everytime. I also would like to know if anyone has experience with Zimmerman's special purple rose Z-99-C at Olympic. I just ordered some, with the recommendation from Cecelia there. I got a scrap bag from them, and found this fantastic mauvey-purple that reduces to a SUPER shiny silver....but I dont' know how to work this glass to bring out it's purple colors. It reduces super easy, but I want to get the most out of this color. Suggestions? Weird stuff!
Thanks all!!
Renee Wiggins

JetAge Studio
www.tucsonartistgroup.com
Old 2007-04-19, 7:57pm
Corgi Cult Member

Hi Renee, welcome aboard! Here is a link discussing Reichenbach colors that might help some.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ht=reichenbach

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-04-19, 9:08pm

Tobacco is a reduction color as you discovered

Full Circle has a great Reich thread somewhere -so do at least one or two others- If no one else finds them tonight I'll go digging in the morning
:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--------------
Make Beads:

--------------

Do you make purple hearts? Let me know in your order and I'll send you free purple glass!
Old 2007-04-20, 11:14am

Full Circle has a great Reich thread somewhere -so do at least one or two others- If no one else finds them tonight I'll go digging in the morning

Please do! I am very interested in reading this too.

Thanks!

Amy
Old 2007-04-20, 5:28pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Here's another good thread with lots of input about the colors

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=30524

Old 2007-04-20, 6:23pm

Here's a link to Full Circle's thread. Lots of good information and beautiful beads!
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=25079
Old 2007-04-21, 12:19am
Burning through glass

Holy Cow, Debbie!
You're all over that thread with GEORGEOUS beads! Thanks for your input. So, since you've been working with alot of Reich, wink wink, maybe you could answer a question for me....
Some people say to work Reich cane cooler, some hotter, what's right?
For instance, I was in the chat room, asking about Reich colors, and asking in particular about using Zimmerman special pink/purple (Z-99-C) (ok, I know it's not a Reich, but someone said it was the same) that I ordered from Olympic along with my other Reich colors, and some said to work it cooler to get the purples to really pop. Sometimes I read it's best to work the colors hot. Not knowing whats what, and how the colors are "supposed" to look, I'm a little confused.
On page 2, seven posts down on your link, you posted a photo of a FABULOUS bead. This is what I'm trying to achieve; clean, defined color(s), not "mud" like I seem to get on some colors. The reich colors are always intriguing though, and fun to see what happens, but I kind of think I'm working the glass to much, or too hot, because I'm not getting colors like what YOU'RE getting!!
I'll try to post a pict of my Fidel Castro Cigar bead. I'll make another "before" with the sludge, and then an after with the etch.
Any advice, very helpfull!
Thanks for your link!
Renee Wiggins

BTW, have you or anyone used the Zimm special pink/purple? My shippment just came in today...alittle intimidated...oh so expensive...but...must..try to..experiment....ug. Oh the pain!
Old 2007-04-21, 12:23am
Burning through glass

Judi B,
YEAH!! Thanks to you for that great thread too!!! Much to read now...
Renee
Old 2007-04-21, 6:27am

Renee,
You're welcome! Also check out Full Circle's web site, she has a page of Reichenbach tips.
Old 2007-04-21, 7:31pm
Life is change. Love it

If you work the Reich transparents too hot they may burn. I've had this problem especially when using stringers. Some of the opaques can pit, but you can get rid of this by heating them up. It really is a question of playing with this glass.

This set was made with opaque aqua wrapped in silver and a lot of different transparents including iris colours which were then reduced for metallics

Last edited by Carolyn M; 2007-05-17 at 8:38pm.
Old 2007-04-21, 8:49pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetAge Studio View Post
Holy Cow, Debbie!
You're all over that thread with GEORGEOUS beads! Thanks for your input. So, since you've been working with alot of Reich, wink wink, maybe you could answer a question for me....
Some people say to work Reich cane cooler, some hotter, what's right?
For instance, I was in the chat room, asking about Reich colors, and asking in particular about using Zimmerman special pink/purple (Z-99-C) (ok, I know it's not a Reich, but someone said it was the same) that I ordered from Olympic along with my other Reich colors, and some said to work it cooler to get the purples to really pop. Sometimes I read it's best to work the colors hot. Not knowing whats what, and how the colors are "supposed" to look, I'm a little confused.
On page 2, seven posts down on your link, you posted a photo of a FABULOUS bead. This is what I'm trying to achieve; clean, defined color(s), not "mud" like I seem to get on some colors. The reich colors are always intriguing though, and fun to see what happens, but I kind of think I'm working the glass to much, or too hot, because I'm not getting colors like what YOU'RE getting!!
I'll try to post a pict of my Fidel Castro Cigar bead. I'll make another "before" with the sludge, and then an after with the etch.
Any advice, very helpfull!
Thanks for your link!
Renee Wiggins

BTW, have you or anyone used the Zimm special pink/purple? My shippment just came in today...alittle intimidated...oh so expensive...but...must..try to..experiment....ug. Oh the pain!

Both of the Zimmerman purples (z-99, z-851) devit like crazy. What I do when that happens is heat it until it stops bubbling, pull it out of the heat and then blow on it. It makes the purple very bright and shiny.

I have never worked any Reich color too hot. They love to be very heated. I do use a higher oxygen concentration though. 15 oxy/5 propane.

And the purple on the bead you like? It is Opaline PINK?!? It is the prettiest, deepest purple around. LOL

Old 2007-04-22, 6:19am
Life is change. Love it

Good to know Debbie, I'm gonna turn my oxy up a bit.

Old 2007-04-22, 6:27am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Carolyn, those beads you posted are FABULOUS!!

Old 2007-04-23, 8:55pm
Burning through glass

Thanks Carolyn and Debbie, I did notice that the Z-99 is deviting a bit....however, didn't know that it was DEVIT I was experiencing, and not just over heating! Thanks for the clarification, now I know it can be worked with.
I noticed the Florence white is incredibly devity!! Yikes! I didn't know what I was doing wrong, but then I reheated a bit hotter, and it DID burn off, but then just as soon as I got it back in the flame, it started to devit again.
Still working on the Lt. Tobbaco pictures (battery died! Go figure.), but, does anyone have trouble working with this color? It's SO stubborn! The minute I put it on the mandrel, it is so thick and has a heavy coating! I have a hard time shaping it because it is so thick. I'm afraid of causing devit with this color, (and Florence too) because once it devits, the texture on the glass scrapes the graphite marver, and actually picks up powdered graphite! Any suggestions to avoid this? I seem to work and work and work these colors to beat them into submission (uh, shape). Is this just the way some of these glasses behave? They are tricky! Should I work hotter, and faster? Some of the glasses I've worked hotter, actually start to "grey-up" and turn ugly. Help!
I'm loving the Z-99 though, it is really beautiful, even with the Lt. Tobbaco (after it's etched!)
Thanks for all your help!
Renee