Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2005-09-26, 7:47am
ManBearPig

Default Which boro black?

Getting ready to order some more glass, and I need black. I got a pound of black from a friend a while back, but I don't know what it is. I tried pulling it down to a thin stringer, and it still looks black.

Which black to you prefer? It will mostly be used for pendant backs, so it won't be under clear, and won't be pulled thin.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-09-26, 8:19am
Safety ALWAYS

GA Raven, hands down (GA 9749)

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2005-09-26, 8:28am

I'm going the NS way on this one...... Onyx is the best...... Ninja is great for the stringers, but use a high oxy flame.
Old 2005-09-26, 8:27pm

NS Onyx, no question there. For pendent backs try small frit or if your REAL (!) careful powder.

Dan

Last edited by DEllis326; 2005-09-26 at 8:28pm. Reason: typo
Old 2005-09-28, 4:13am

Yeah, I'll throw my 2 cents in for the NS-76 Onyx.

It melts much better and with less reduction than with any of the other blacks I have tried.
Old 2006-04-06, 12:20pm
borobucaneer

anyone usin jet black? And another thing which blacks would you NOT deep encase. I have avoided blacks for years because of bad issues with blackberry, had some and it killed alot of pieces. thought there was none in shop, havent had it in years, picked up what I thought was blackviolet or onyx. And it killed a huge marb, checking following the stripe allthe way down the inside of a vortex. Come to think of it it may have been ninja...hmmmm???
Sorry if I jacked the post...
L
Old 2006-04-06, 12:22pm
ManBearPig

I have some jet black ordered, but it hasn't made it here yet.

I have had no problem encasing Black Violet. I haven't used Onyx much, but it seems to work fine for me as well. One color I'll never use again is crackberry... I mean Blackberry. Even on the surface it seems like that cracks.

I have also had good luck using Cobalt 6 in things like vortexes. No light coming through it, so it looks black.

Old 2006-04-06, 1:00pm

I picked up a couple rods of NS Black Hole. I just found out that it has been discontinued, and now I know why. It reduces very easily, and I work in a neutral to oxidating flame. I even tried extra extra oxy and it still reduced. Wierd stuff. Avoid it!

Eric
Old 2006-04-08, 6:16pm

GA raven for solid, onyx for translucent black unless your using a large amount of it.
ro