Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-04-07, 4:31am
Formerly Fireflyartglass

Default Boro virgin just bough MOmkas need help!!

Hi ,
I just bought some Momkas boro. I got 3 rods of clear a rod of silver tears and a rod of something lightning I think it's blue lightning.
So any tips on what to do with it.
Do I just make nomal beads with it or do I have to use a special flame setting? Any tips so I get cool results?
Also If I am going to buy more MOMKA'S what colours would you suggest I buy. I want colours that I will get all the awesom vivid colours that Boro is famous for with out to much trouble for a beginner.
Also am about to buy some clip on boroscopes to go on my didy's you know the cheapo $20 jobs. Anyway they only sell shade 5 will these be ok or way too dark??
Thanks for your help everyone it's really appreciated!
Leanne
Old 2006-04-07, 5:13am

This link shows all of Momka's colors with a little bif of info on how to work them.

http://www.momkasglass.com/color.html

Eric
Old 2006-04-07, 11:01pm

My thought on the glasses is they will be awful dark. I don't know if all will agree with me...

Try Momka's newest color... Purple Thunder! and no one should be without Silver Beach. A great combination is Charlie Brown, clear and Grapefruit. Use an oxy flame, flame strike and blues will appear with the browns. Gorgeous. I am trying to convince Momka to make a rod out of the combination and call it Thunder Road.. Probably won't happen but you never know.
I was playing in their shop and Momka and I had a blast mixing colors and playing around making beads. We both were like two kids in a candy shop... try this... do this next. It was so much fun...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-04-08, 3:29am
Formerly Fireflyartglass

hI kay!
your the lovely lady who I wrote to about a set of beads on ebay! You know about the silver tears? I am about to go outside and have a go of your suggestion of a clear and silver tears twistie over blue lightning and encased in clear. Will let you know how I go. At the moment I am just using two pairs of didys (I know I'm a dork) one on top of the other and I am finding it is not hurting my eyes at all. I was told I can get away with just using didy's if I am only using a tiny bit of boro here and there. I found one pair on it's own isn't dark enough but with two pairs on then your really cooking with gas!
Thanks kay!!!
Old 2006-04-08, 7:15am

I thought maybe that was you... Good luck. Just remember, go slower with boro, mostly (not all the time)use a hotter flame than with soft glass and a lot of colors benefit from a flame or kiln strike to bring out the colors. If you haven't placed your order... You deserve to know about Silver Dance. Here some pictures I have posted in the past... And one with her "Lustrous Blue"

Last edited by LAG; 2009-02-21 at 9:04am.
Old 2006-04-08, 9:13am
Old enough to know better

Kay - the three are all Silver Dance???? How'd you make it look so good? I'm loving my Alaskan Night. It's such a great deep blue when waved or otherwise patterned with clear. And, of course, Silver Beach. Have you used Silver Iris? I was very disappointed with my results using this color. I mean, it's a great pale transparent but nothing else happened.

All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of every organism to live beyond its income.
- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-04-08, 10:17am

Tanya, let me see if I can find a picture I did of a heart using that color...

ah ha!!

Here tis.... and it even has some instructions on how to work the color.. It can surprise you sometimes because it is loaded with silver. It is my understanding that to get the blues out it does help to flame strike it, also.

If anyone has questions about Momka's glass, Sabina is usually the one to get the emails and she is more than glad to help you out. She is a sweetheart and knows a lot about how to work the colors and has helped me with issues. I love going to the shop. We play and I learn! Shoot her an email from their website www.momkasglass.com

Last edited by LAG; 2009-02-21 at 9:04am.
Old 2006-04-08, 4:48pm
Serenity Now!

Yeah but Kay...what are YOU doing to the SIlver Dance to get it to dance like that??? I've been playing with it, and not seen the colors you are getting, and that flower you posted of it a few weeks ago was TDF!!
What's your secret! Care to share...?
Much obliged............V

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2006-04-08, 5:54pm

Default momka/glasses

try MB023 exotic citrus grapefruit, its my new favorite! i got a sample set from vapor glass, great sales on momka and elvis, not sure if its still running. you NEED shade 5 for boro. its dark, but you will get used to it. body of the fish is grapefruit if i remember correctly, i dont usually keep track of colors in pieces. i printed out the user info for the colors but found just playing with different flames gave a wide range to choose from.
ro
Attached Images

Old 2006-04-08, 9:30pm

Oh what a lovely fish. I would have never thought of using that color for a fish... great

Val, I would be most glad to share what I can. I have found the best effects achieved by using the rod without mixing the colors. Apply it without turning, two wraps, melt in, apply clear dots, shape, cool, then flame strike. The colors depend on which side of the rod us up. You will have to experiment with that part. Zig zags are great, too, as long as you are sure to apply the rod without turning. Try making a base of a different color and then applying Silver Dance and the clear for even more colors.... I was just experimenting when I made these beads...

Hope this helps....

Old 2006-04-09, 4:40am
Serenity Now!

Oh Kay THANK YOU!!!!!!! It is very wonderfully generous of you to share - I appreciate it, as I am sure others will as well! Off to give it a try...thanks again! Ro - love your whole scene - fab fish! Oh I just LOVE glass - we're so lucky!!!!!!!!!!

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2006-04-10, 1:11pm
Old enough to know better

Kay - I was actually twisting the Silver Dance before applying it which is exactly what you're saying NOT to do. Thanks! I'll give it a try. As for the Silver Iris, I have no idea how you got the colors in your heart. Maybe it is a matter of using more glass. The heart is gorgeous. And great fish Ro. I've been wondering about the Exotic Citrus Grapefruit. It looks great. So, now I NEED more glass...

All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of every organism to live beyond its income.
- Samuel Butler, 1912