Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-04-02, 6:54pm

Default Boro Marbles

Hi,

I wanted to start a thread so people could post pics of their boro marbles. So, here is my second one. I was using some Momka shorties and while I like the way the back turned out, I do not like the way they turned out encased in the vortex. Unfortunately not all of them were labeled so I can't tell you everything that I used. The labeled colors that I used were silver beach, orange, American beauty, and magic mirror. Maybe I should re-work the vortex side and add pin-wheels there too to hide all that ugliness.

Eric
Attached Images

Old 2006-04-03, 2:34am
Nah, not really...;)

Dang Eric, you are kicking ass.

I haven't made a marble yet, I am waiting on my new torch But I'll post pics when I have made my attempts.
Are you doing the Marble Exchange in the Patio?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-04-03, 6:15am

Yep, I am in on the marble exchange!
Old 2006-04-03, 6:36am
ManBearPig

That looks pretty good to me. How is that orange to work with? Does it work like the crayon orange? It looks like it went on pretty smooth.

Old 2006-04-03, 7:41am

The orange worked better than the orange crayon. It was very smooth with no boiling or loss of color from the original rod. I read the lable again and it is Momka's Sunset Orange. So far, the orange and the silver beach are my favorite Momka colors.

Eric
Old 2006-04-03, 9:22am
ManBearPig

Cool. I love orange, but I try not to use Orange Crayon unless I have to. I'm off to order some Momka's now...

Old 2006-04-03, 10:22am
Old enough to know better

Great marbles Eric! I really like the silver beach - I'll be ordering some shortly.

I am absolutely not posting a picture of my only marble...it would be too embarrassing. I think I'm working up to trying another one, though.

All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of every organism to live beyond its income.
- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-04-03, 10:23am

Can anybody tell me what to do to make magic mirror look good? I love the mirror effect on the end of the rod where I burned it off, but couldn't reproduce it on my bead.

All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of every organism to live beyond its income.
- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-04-03, 10:38am
ManBearPig

I have only worked with a little of it, but I seemed to get the best effect turning the oxygen up. Doesn't make sense, because usually a reduction flame produces those results. But, it worked in my case. I only had a 5" sample rod, so I can't do any more experimenting.

Old 2006-04-03, 10:41am

Thanks Cosmo. There seem to be several colors that get a metallic sheen from turning the oxygen up rather than down. I don't understand it. I'll play with some more today. Have you tried Silver Iris? It's supposed to develop color during annealing by mine didn't change at all. Perhaps I should anneal at a higher temperature (that batch was annealed between 1075 and 1100F.)

- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-04-06, 6:25am

Here is my third boro marble. I just used random colors off of the bench and layers of gold and silver fuming on the vortex. I like the colors a lot. It is more of an oblate in shape because I was noticing that the NS Egyptian White Sands had a lot of bubbles that were starting to come to the surface so I decided to just let the shape stay the way it was, and give it a fire polish. It is symetrical...just sort of squashed.

Eric
Attached Images

Old 2006-04-06, 11:11am
Nah, not really...;)

Dang, I am soooo jealous, you are rocking it Eric!!!

I am going to try my first marble tomorrow. Wish me luck. I am going to follow Cosmo's tutorial, I hope I can do it justice

I will post a picture, good or bad.
I will post a picture, good or bad.
Well............you get the point here I guess!

Old 2006-04-06, 12:55pm

Go for it Carrie! You are going to love it!

Eric
Old 2006-04-08, 8:28am

I made one yesterday using Cosmo's tutorial. It's not exactly what I had in mind, mostly because I'm not too good with punties yet and it fell in my lap, then to the floor and rolled away from me twice. It was pretty hot when this happened (I am, again, really thankful for my leather apron) and it picked up some grit from the floor. I wish you could have seen me chasing it around. I was having trouble picking it up again because it got a lot bigger than I had planned - 1.25" (which seemed like about 6" when I was trying to retrieve it from the floor.) Anyway, it's got a couple of dents in it and it's not completely round since I gave up on it after the 2nd drop and pitched it (literally) into the kiln. Maybe I'll try again (not) soon.

- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-04-08, 9:04am
Nah, not really...;)

uhhh, my two attempts just sucked, to put it bluntly!

I am so used to a mandrel, that anything off-mandrel freaks me out, it's like the mandrel is my security blanket or something.

I am going to try again today, but smaller, mine ended up being way bigger than I anticipated like you Tanya!

Old 2006-04-08, 10:12am

Here is my largest Boro Marble to date. It is 1.75" in diameter and nicely rounded with the exception of a small flat spot on the back where I knocked off the punty. This time I tried to intentionally fracture the vortex before laying down fume, colors, and then more fume. The effect is interesting, but not exactly what I was shooting for. The marble would have been bigger but I ran out of propane in the middle of it. So, I garaged it in the kiln while I ran off to get more fuel. When I put in back in the flame the marble was fine, but the rod for the lens fractured close to the marble so I couldn't add all of the clear that I wanted to.

Eric
Attached Images

Old 2006-04-08, 11:30am
Nah, not really...;)

Dang Eric, you are rocking it.
I am embarrassed to post mine

Maybe after Brent's class I'll feel better off mandrel w/ anything. At least I hope.
I hope I can make a decent one for the marble exchange

Old 2006-04-08, 11:33am
borobucaneer

Would someone tell me where cosmo's tutorial is? title?
Old 2006-04-08, 2:42pm
Nah, not really...;)

Here it is baylie:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=14966

It is in the Tutorial room.

Old 2006-04-08, 5:04pm
Irish Eyes A Smiling

Hey, Eric - you could send a couple of those marbles my way - it's always a security blanket for the day that I truly lose mine instead of just misplace them!

Great color & design swirl - can't imagine I'll ever get boro that molten on my Mini & concentrators..

Old 2006-04-08, 5:45pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanya
I made one yesterday using Cosmo's tutorial. It's not exactly what I had in mind, mostly because I'm not too good with punties yet and it fell in my lap, then to the floor and rolled away from me twice. It was pretty hot when this happened (I am, again, really thankful for my leather apron) and it picked up some grit from the floor. I wish you could have seen me chasing it around. I was having trouble picking it up again because it got a lot bigger than I had planned - 1.25" (which seemed like about 6" when I was trying to retrieve it from the floor.) Anyway, it's got a couple of dents in it and it's not completely round since I gave up on it after the 2nd drop and pitched it (literally) into the kiln. Maybe I'll try again (not) soon.
Are you using pyrex punties or steel punties? I use steel for softglass, but I use pyrex for boro stuff. If punties are causing a problem, just make a clear round marble and practice attaching, knocking off, and re-attaching your punties. I did this and it really helped a lot. I still get some that I have to burn off, and I have dropped a couple off the punty lately, but it doesn't happen near as often as it did at first. Good luck!

Eric
Old 2006-04-09, 5:36am

Thanks Eric. I'm using pyrex. I think my problem is that I haven't practiced enough - that's a great suggestion about just making some clear ones to get used to punties.

- Samuel Butler, 1912