Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-04-10, 10:17am

Default Anybody else trying Remschneider's Recipies?

Hi,

Here is my attempt to make the famous "Dougie Rainbow". My colors are very muted compared to those in his video. Anybody else out there having success with this recipe?

Eric
Attached Images

Old 2006-04-10, 10:33am
Old enough to know better

Eric = that looks really nice. A bit muted perhaps, but great color. I've been working with the Dougie colors a lot. I was getting better results with Dougie pink when I first started. I'm having trouble getting the color to strike now, and I'm getting very little color.

I also experimented with it like using Solara over Pomegranite - mostly because I didn't have any Warm Yellow and RS4 at the time. Solara is an interesting color. I really like Bluegrass, which is Dougie Rainbow with a base of blue instead of D. Pink. I'm using the wave and tweezer twists on just about everything. They're great even on single colors - Alaska Night was a pleasant surprise. Also nice over Blue Moon, Indigo Luster and Triple Passion. And Amazon Bronze over D. Pink or Triple Passion. When that strikes, it's gorgeous. I bought the color card book as well so I can reference the colors and recipes without the dvd (like when I'm making beads.) It was expensive, but IMO totally worth it as another way to get familiar with some colors so I can branch off a little more intelligently. Another combination I really like that I used when taking a class with Lauri Copeland was NS Caramel over NS Blue Moon.

His annealing temps are a bit strange here and there - like the first 2 beads are annealed at 975 or something like that. Have you tried that yet? I'm having trouble with the annealing because I can't seem to restrict myself to the colors for a particular annealing schedule. I have enough trouble getting torch time as it is.

I'd be interested in seeing more of your results. If I could motivate to take some pictures, I could learn how to post them so we could compare notes.

All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of every organism to live beyond its income.
- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-04-10, 10:41am

Hi Tanya,

I finally went ahead and checked my kiln, and sure enough the temperature down on the floor of it is 60 degrees cooler than the temp where the thermocouple is. I have also been having mixed results with the dougie pink. Sometimes it turns out ok, and sometimes it really stinks. (It NEVER turns out like the color on the video.) I think how thick the warm yellow layer is when compared to the ruby layer may be a larger issue than my kiln temperature, but who knows? I did manage to get some nice fuschia pinks out of NS ELY over GA Ruby 4, but my ability to consistantly get nice pinks is something I dream of more than achieve.

Eric
Old 2006-04-10, 10:48am

Know what you mean. Try the Amazon Bronze over D. Pink when you get a chance. It's really nice.

All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of every organism to live beyond its income.
- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-04-10, 11:02am
borobucaneer

I've been lampin for almost a decade, and I don't know what 'dougie colors' are. What is goin on? Was I asleep?
Old 2006-04-10, 12:24pm

Doug Remschneider put together a DVD called "Boro Bead Magic." In it he uses the Glass Alchemy Polychromatic colors to produce the most amazing colors. For instance, his trademark "Dougie Pink" is GA Warm Yellow over GA Ruby Strike 4 over clear. When HE does it HE gets the most amazing pink you have ever seen. When I do it I am lucky if I get pink at all, and my pink is always pretty muted. However, I will keep working on it.

Eric
Old 2006-04-10, 4:47pm
borobucaneer

That explains it, haven't bothered with many videos. If anyone has a copy I can borrow, I'll give a marble as rental fee.....
Old 2006-04-10, 5:48pm

Baylie - you can borrow my copy. I've watched it a couple of times and now I'm working out of the booklet. PM me with your address.

- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-04-11, 5:02am
Nah, not really...;)

Damnit, I missed out on a marble.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-04-11, 9:37am

hee, hee...

- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-04-11, 10:09am
San Diego Toni

I tried my first time at "dougie pink" this past weekend...I'll post pics when I get home tonight. Should they have become more opaque? Most of them are relatively translucent. I also tried the yellow directly over the red without the clear - those are opaque. Maybe I used too large of a clear rod to start out with? I don't know...

I love the rainbow color - haven't tried it yet. I like what you got Eric - should they have been a bit brighter?

Is there a GA "recipe book" like the NS one by Lori Robbins? I have that and it is very helpful.

Thanks everyone!

toni
Old 2006-04-12, 6:00am

i made canes of the colors and use them when the mood strikes, im out of many of the colors to mix more right now, they are beautiful canes.
ro
Old 2006-04-12, 6:18am
Back from the Dark Side

I've been playing with the process, but i have so few of the colors he uses that i usually corrupt them This is DAP with Amazon Bronze

~
~
~
Steal List - 48, 50, 60, 32, and 29 for now
Old 2006-04-12, 7:07am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni L.

I love the rainbow color - haven't tried it yet. I like what you got Eric - should they have been a bit brighter?
Thanks Toni. Yeah, they should have been a lot brighter. The picture was taken with a flash so that is what it looks like in bright light. It is even more subdued in normal lighting.

Here is another one I did yesterday. The colors are a little better, and I have absolutely no idea why. I used the same cane and everything.

Eric
Attached Images

Old 2006-04-12, 7:09am

Nice beads Lynn! I will have to try out that combination.

Eric
Old 2006-04-12, 7:35am
ManBearPig

Well, I have tried some of Doug's recipies, but I have been experimenting with my own recently. One of my favorites is equal parts Elvis, Solara, and Warm Yellow.

I have noticed that Doug's seem to require a lot more heat. When I work them hot, they seem to come out better.

Old 2006-04-12, 7:51am
Back from the Dark Side

Thanks Eric!

I usually let the kiln spike a bit too. I'll let it spike to 1250 for about 3-5 minutes before dropping to annealing temp. It makes the reds, purples and pinks a bit more intense.

~
~
~
Old 2006-04-12, 7:53am
Back from the Dark Side

And in my opinion, both hearts are fantastic! I've talked to several people about whether they prefer boro or soft glass, and a lot of them like the colors in soft better...you could actually be on to something with the softer color in boro pendants!

~
~
~
Old 2006-04-12, 8:09am

Eric - what a beautiful heart! I really like the colors. It must have been the barometric pressure or the position of the moon when you were making it. I had much better luck with my Dougie Pink yesterday.

Lynn - really nice beads. I am starting to get very attached to Amazon Bronze. It's an interesting color.

Cosmo - do you mix the colors together in equal parts or make a cane with them unmixed? I've been experimenting with Pomegranite and Solara, but my results are not as nice as when I first tried this.

- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-04-12, 8:10am

I will try spiking the kiln a bit. I don't know if you can tell, but the upper right edge of the right lobe of heart has what I am trying to get. Maybe that side was closer to the elements? Well, time to quit procrastinating and get on the torch. I made a whole punch of DAP hearts yesterday that look like CRAP, so I am going to experiment with heating them back to clear and see what happens with the color. (Anything is better than baby poop, or strep throat color as my daughter calls it.)

Eric
Old 2006-04-12, 8:21am
Back from the Dark Side

Thanks Tanya

Eric, do you use tanked o2 or a concentrator? I've discovered that letting the oxy con run for a while before using it helps alot.

Definately heat the DAP to clear!! Then (fun part here) try to case it in clear with out hazing it, then flame strike it.

I can't get anything out of Solara but yellow, and i know it has more to offer...

~
~
~
Old 2006-04-12, 8:28am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanya
Eric - what a beautiful heart! I really like the colors. It must have been the barometric pressure or the position of the moon when you were making it. I had much better luck with my Dougie Pink yesterday.

Lynn - really nice beads. I am starting to get very attached to Amazon Bronze. It's an interesting color.

Cosmo - do you mix the colors together in equal parts or make a cane with them unmixed? I've been experimenting with Pomegranite and Solara, but my results are not as nice as when I first tried this.
I put stripes on a clear rod. Then I heat it up and mix it up like I'm mixing colors, but stop before the colors are completely mixed. When you pull it back down into a rod, it will still have swirls of color.

I'm going to be working on the torch tonight. If I remember, I'll get a picture of what I'm talking about. I think I have some finished stuff around here made with it.

Old 2006-04-12, 8:28am

Yeah, I am using tanked Oxy. I must be trapping haze, but how the heck do you not trap haze when using frit? I mean the back I can burn the haze off, but what about the the side of the frit that is up against the glass in a frit implosion?

Thanks for the tips though. Off to try it now.

Eric
Old 2006-04-12, 8:43am
Back from the Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by e. mort
Yeah, I am using tanked Oxy. I must be trapping haze, but how the heck do you not trap haze when using frit? I mean the back I can burn the haze off, but what about the the side of the frit that is up against the glass in a frit implosion?

Eric
The haze in an implosion adds to it. See I didn't use frit, just dots of blue amber purple (maybe) and then black on the back. All i can suggest for that would be to make sure your clear is hot enough to cover the frit when you smoosh it. That way not a lot of haze would be added as you implode.

~
~
~
Old 2006-04-12, 8:46am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by e. mort

Eric
I like the haze. Colors like Blue Moon, Caramel, Silver Strike, etc. It gives a nice effect, I think...

Old 2006-04-12, 12:49pm

Yes, it's a great effect...when you want it. I just wish I could not have it when I don't want it. Gorgeous pendant Lynn! Thanks for the info on the colors Cosmo. I'm looking forward to trying them next time I can torch -probably not until Friday.

- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-04-14, 7:46am

OK, I think I am starting to figure out DP (dougie pink).

First, you only need a thin layer - too much DP and you lose the vibrant colors. Second, take the tip of your dougie pink rod to clear as you are applying it to burn off any haze. Third, as Cosmo said, use a lot of heat and keep it hot until you are done. Fourth, after it has cooled down, lightly flame strike way in the back of the flame until you are starting to see wisps of color, and then put it into the kiln.

Here are two hearts that I did yesterday. I was paying with thinner and thicker layers on each one and the areas with the yellows and creams have the thickest layer of DP. These have a heavy layer of clear on the front, so that also affected the striking. The second picture is the back of the pendants so you can see what they look like unencased. The colors are usually much more intense un-encased, but maybe that is a factor of kiln time and I just need to leave them in longer. Maybe I will try re kilning one of these today.

Eric
Attached Images

Last edited by e. mort; 2006-04-14 at 9:12am.
Old 2006-04-14, 8:05am
Back from the Dark Side

OOooOooH Eric! I'm loving those hearts!! Looks like you are on the right track! You can flame strike it darker. You definately need to start the strike in the flame, or you will get nothing in the kiln. Flame strike...let cool...flame strike again...should make it more intense.

~
~
~
Old 2006-04-14, 8:12am

Great hearts Eric! Nice colors. When you say "use only a thin layer of DP", how do you manage that when you're winding, say for a bead? Or do you wind? Come to think of it, all I can recall for you is pendants and hearts. Marbles. No winding... Perhaps I'll try putting down clear first then applying a thin layer of DP over that. I get great colors when I don't encase, so I'm going to try to minimize that as well. Doug makes it all look so easy...

- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-04-14, 9:09am

Hi Tanya,

Pull down your dougie pink rod so it isn't so thick. If you watch the video you can see that the beads he is making are pretty small, and that while he puts three wraps of the color on, they are really thin layers. When I was applying the cane before, I wasn't getting it hot enough so it was going on much more thickly and not spreading out so much. Plus, I am painting it on the backs of pendants and hearts, so I tend to get a thicker layer than I want.

Eric